Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] Can't download definitions
I went through your whole
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong

installation procedure to get the up to date version of clamav, and
can't download the definitions.

It seems to download most of them but can't download one, and it tries
three times, and then it fails

So it downloaded main.cvd, daily.cvd, safebrowsing.cvd, and
bytecode.cvd, but can't download database1.cvd or something, and there
might be a problem with teh mirrors in my conf file, which didn't
contain any mirrors and I didn't mess with them if they're there and I
didn't see them.

At one point it said it couldn't PING clamav.net, and when I tried I
pinged clamav.net without any trouble.

And when I get my definititions, I need to run clamav now and not when
it feels like it - how do I exactly do that?   The GUI for the out of
date version would only let me set up a time to run it.

Yours,

Dora Smith

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Can't download definitions [ In reply to ]
> So it downloaded main.cvd, daily.cvd, safebrowsing.cvd, and
> bytecode.cvd, but can't download database1.cvd or something, and there
> might be a problem with teh mirrors in my conf file, which didn't
> contain any mirrors and I didn't mess with them if they're there and I
> didn't see them.

There is no "database1.cvd"... The 4 you listed are the only official
ones. So unless you made a mistake editing the config file, I'm not
really sure what it's trying to do.

You don't need to mess with the mirrors or anything. The files are
hosted via Cloudflare's CDN so you will automatically get the closest
server to you.

> And when I get my definititions, I need to run clamav now and not when
> it feels like it - how do I exactly do that? The GUI for the out of
> date version would only let me set up a time to run it.

What operating system are you running? What version of ClamAV are you running?

https://www.clamav.net/documentation

^^^ That page will hopefully give you some answers...

Re: [clamav-users] Can't download definitions [ In reply to ]
When I type freshclam in my terminal, I get

Sat Aug 17 17:36:27 2019 -> ClamAV update process started at Sat Aug 17
17:36:27 2019
Sat Aug 17 17:36:27 2019 -> main.cvd is up to date (version: 58, sigs:
4566249, f-level: 60, builder: sigmgr)
Sat Aug 17 17:36:27 2019 -> daily.cvd is up to date (version: 25544,
sigs: 1725545, f-level: 63, builder: raynman)
Sat Aug 17 17:36:27 2019 -> safebrowsing.cvd is up to date (version:
48958, sigs: 2441766, f-level: 63, builder: google)
Sat Aug 17 17:36:27 2019 -> bytecode.cvd is up to date (version: 330,
sigs: 94, f-level: 63, builder: neo)
Sat Aug 17 17:36:27 2019 -> ^getfile: dbname1.cvd not found on
database.clamav.net (IP: 104.16.219.84)
Sat Aug 17 17:36:27 2019 -> ^Can't download dbname1.cvd from
database.clamav.net
Sat Aug 17 17:36:28 2019 -> *Can't query
dbname1.0.102.0.0.6810DB54.ping.clamav.net
Sat Aug 17 17:36:28 2019 -> Trying again in 5 secs...

And it repeats this two more times before telling me

Sat Aug 17 17:36:39 2019 -> Giving up on database.clamav.net...
Sat Aug 17 17:36:39 2019 -> Update failed. Your network may be down or
none of the mirrors listed in /usr/local/etc/freshclam.conf is working.
Check https://www.clamav.net/documents/official-mirror-faq for possible
reasons.

The first time I tried it, it also told me it can't ping clamav.net, but
I could ping clamav.net with no problem.  And the Internet's not down.

I didn't change any mirrors when I activated freshclam.conf.   I did
activate a bunch of things, if you see something I might have activated
I should go back and comment back in.  Maybe something needs a database
that doesn't exist?    I activated every safeguard I could see.

I am using the current version, 0.103.1, that I just went through the
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG rigamorole on the Clamav pages, ALL of
it, to install, because the version in the Ubuntu repository is out of
date and I kept getting error messages.

I am running Ubuntu 18.04.

I am trying to run Clamav.  I want to run an antivirus scan. Right now I
presumably can't run it at all becasue it doesn't have its databases.

And I need to know how to run Clamav immediately, because I accidentally
got a really weird web page!   Today, not tomorrow and midnight won't
do.  Common sense.  Linux ain't just for servers any more.

Someone pointed me to a Ubuntu page for clamav that tells how to install
the out of date version that doesn't work because it's out of date, but
there might have been useful information on it - will "CLAMSCAN" run an
antivirus scan immediately?

Yours,

Dora Smith

Re: [clamav-users] Can't download definitions [ In reply to ]
Dora,

Please post the results of running

sudo clamconf

-Al-
ClamXAV User

Re: [clamav-users] Can't download definitions [ In reply to ]
Here it is.

Checking configuration files in /usr/local/etc

clamd.conf not found

Config file: freshclam.conf
---------------------------
LogFileMaxSize = "1048576"
LogTime = "yes"
LogSyslog = "yes"
LogFacility = "LOG_LOCAL6"
LogVerbose disabled
LogRotate = "yes"
PidFile disabled
DatabaseDirectory = "/usr/local/share/clamav"
Foreground disabled
Debug = "yes"
UpdateLogFile disabled
DatabaseOwner = "clamav"
Checks = "12"
DNSDatabaseInfo = "current.cvd.clamav.net"
DatabaseMirror = "database.clamav.net"
PrivateMirror disabled
MaxAttempts = "3"
ScriptedUpdates = "yes"
TestDatabases = "yes"
CompressLocalDatabase disabled
ExtraDatabase = "dbname1", "dbname2"
DatabaseCustomURL disabled
HTTPProxyServer disabled
HTTPProxyPort disabled
HTTPProxyUsername disabled
HTTPProxyPassword disabled
HTTPUserAgent disabled
NotifyClamd = "/path/to/clamd.conf"
OnUpdateExecute = "command"
OnErrorExecute disabled
OnOutdatedExecute disabled
LocalIPAddress disabled
ConnectTimeout = "60"
ReceiveTimeout = "60"
SafeBrowsing = "yes"
Bytecode = "yes"

clamav-milter.conf not found

Software settings
-----------------
Version: 0.101.3
Optional features supported: MEMPOOL IPv6 AUTOIT_EA06 BZIP2 LIBXML2 PCRE
ICONV JSON RAR

Database information
--------------------
Database directory: /usr/local/share/clamav
WARNING: freshclam.conf and clamd.conf point to different database
directories
bytecode.cvd: version 330, sigs: 94, built on Wed Jul 17 08:11:08 2019
main.cvd: version 58, sigs: 4566249, built on Wed Jun? 7 16:38:10 2017
daily.cvd: version 25544, sigs: 1725545, built on Sat Aug 17 03:24:01 2019
safebrowsing.cvd: version 48958, sigs: 2441766, built on Sat Aug 17
10:00:50 2019
Total number of signatures: 8733654

Platform information
--------------------
uname: Linux 5.0.0-25-generic #26~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 1 13:51:02
UTC 2019 x86_64
OS: linux-gnu, ARCH: x86_64, CPU: x86_64
Full OS version: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
zlib version: 1.2.11 (1.2.11), compile flags: a9
platform id: 0x0a2166660800000000070400

Build information
-----------------
GNU C: 7.4.0 (7.4.0)
CPPFLAGS:
CFLAGS: -g -O2? -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
CXXFLAGS: -g -O2
LDFLAGS:
Configure: '--enable-check'
sizeof(void*) = 8
Engine flevel: 102, dconf: 102

Re: [clamav-users] Can't download definitions [ In reply to ]
Here it is.? (Think I just replied to wrong address)

Re: [clamav-users] Can't download definitions [ In reply to ]
You just need to comment out (with a #) the freschclam.conf line

Re: [clamav-users] Can't download definitions [ In reply to ]
Thanks.

You know, this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too hard! ? Why can't you
just make several packages such as exist in outdated form in Ubuntu's
repositories?

Dora

Re: [clamav-users] Can't download definitions [ In reply to ]
It said,

Sat Aug 17 18:36:34 2019 -> Database updated (8734546 signatures) from
database.clamav.net (IP: 2606:4700::6810:db54)
Sat Aug 17 18:36:34 2019 -> !NotifyClamd: Can't find or parse
configuration file /path/to/clamd.conf

I think I see what the problem is.?? clamd.conf.SAMPLE is in the
/usr/local/etc folder next to freshclam.conf and freshclam.conf.sample.

Before I copy and rename it, am I also supposed to change something in it?

Maybe it's on that LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG page among
the WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY?
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY? too many instructions, but if so, I
didn't see it!

Thanks!

Re: [clamav-users] Can't download definitions [ In reply to ]
No, you don't want the sample. It appears everything is working properly with freshclam, but you have a different issue in that you don't appear to have a clamd.conf file where it should be. Someone running your platform will need to tell us where that is.

-Al-

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 04:41 PM, Dora Smith via clamav-users wrote:
> It said,
>
> Sat Aug 17 18:36:34 2019 -> Database updated (8734546 signatures) from database.clamav.net <http://database.clamav.net/> (IP: 2606:4700::6810:db54)
> Sat Aug 17 18:36:34 2019 -> !NotifyClamd: Can't find or parse configuration file /path/to/clamd.conf
>

> I think I see what the problem is. clamd.conf.SAMPLE is in the /usr/local/etc folder next to freshclam.conf and freshclam.conf.sample.
>
> Before I copy and rename it, am I also supposed to change something in it?
>
> Maybe it's on that LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG page among the WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many instructions, but if so, I didn't see it!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Yours,
>
> Dora
>

> On 8/17/19 6:05 PM, Al Varnell via clamav-users wrote:
>> You just need to comment out (with a #) the freschclam.conf line
>>
>> ExtraDatabase = "dbname1", "dbname2"
>>
>> -Al-
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 04:01 PM, Dora Smith via clamav-users wrote:
>>> Here it is. (Think I just replied to wrong address)
>>>

>>> Checking configuration files in /usr/local/etc
>>>
>>> clamd.conf not found
>>>
>>> Config file: freshclam.conf
>>> ---------------------------
>>> LogFileMaxSize = "1048576"
>>> LogTime = "yes"
>>> LogSyslog = "yes"
>>> LogFacility = "LOG_LOCAL6"
>>> LogVerbose disabled
>>> LogRotate = "yes"
>>> PidFile disabled
>>> DatabaseDirectory = "/usr/local/share/clamav"
>>> Foreground disabled
>>> Debug = "yes"
>>> UpdateLogFile disabled
>>> DatabaseOwner = "clamav"
>>> Checks = "12"
>>> DNSDatabaseInfo = "current.cvd.clamav.net <http://current.cvd.clamav.net/>"
>>> DatabaseMirror = "database.clamav.net <http://database.clamav.net/>"
>>> PrivateMirror disabled
>>> MaxAttempts = "3"
>>> ScriptedUpdates = "yes"
>>> TestDatabases = "yes"
>>> CompressLocalDatabase disabled
>>> ExtraDatabase = "dbname1", "dbname2"
>>> DatabaseCustomURL disabled
>>> HTTPProxyServer disabled
>>> HTTPProxyPort disabled
>>> HTTPProxyUsername disabled
>>> HTTPProxyPassword disabled
>>> HTTPUserAgent disabled
>>> NotifyClamd = "/path/to/clamd.conf"
>>> OnUpdateExecute = "command"
>>> OnErrorExecute disabled
>>> OnOutdatedExecute disabled
>>> LocalIPAddress disabled
>>> ConnectTimeout = "60"
>>> ReceiveTimeout = "60"
>>> SafeBrowsing = "yes"

Re: [clamav-users] Can't download definitions [ In reply to ]
It was right there.? I seem to ahve figured out what to change to get it
to work before saving it without the sample name.

They did the same thing with the freshclam.conf file.?? Said to copy it
without the sample in the name, take out the line sample, and literally,
configure some things.?? :)? So I did.? Didn't say the same thing about
the clamd.conf file.? Or they did but it was buried among those
excessive instructions.

Mind you it took every instruction to get it to work - and it shouldn't
be that way.?? Ubuntu is becoming a regular desktop system with the
death of Linux.? The antivirus has to be so anyone can use it.

Dora

Re: [clamav-users] Can't download definitions [ In reply to ]
On 17.08.19 16:47, Dora Smith via clamav-users wrote:
>I went through your whole looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong
>
>installation procedure to get the up to date version of clamav, and
>can't download the definitions.

according to your later mail, you are using ubuntu 18.04. There should be
nothing wrong with clamav version 0.100.3 in this version of ubuntu, but if
you really need, you could backport (compile) version 0.101.2 from eoan.

it's not a good idea to compile available software locally, when packages
are available.

>It seems to download most of them but can't download one, and it tries
>three times, and then it fails
>

>So it downloaded main.cvd, daily.cvd, safebrowsing.cvd, and
>bytecode.cvd, but can't download database1.cvd or something, and there
>might be a problem with teh mirrors in my conf file, which didn't
>contain any mirrors and I didn't mess with them if they're there and I
>didn't see them.
>
>At one point it said it couldn't PING clamav.net, and when I tried I
>pinged clamav.net without any trouble.
>
>And when I get my definititions, I need to run clamav now and not when
>it feels like it - how do I exactly do that??? The GUI for the out of
>date version would only let me set up a time to run it.

which GUI? and what exactly do you ned to scan?

Christian Science Programming: "Let God Debug It!".

Re: [clamav-users] Can't download definitions [ In reply to ]
Dora,

It looks like you went through the freshclam.conf and just uncommented
a bunch of things without knowing what they were for and setting the
variable correctly for the custom options.

Like Al said, you need to comment the line with the ExtraDatabase, but
there are also a couple others I see right off the bat you probably
need to comment out too that could cause issues...

Debug = "yes"
OnUpdateExecute = "command"
ExtraDatabase = "dbname1", "dbname2"

You would probably be better off simply using the stock configs from
when you install the package(s), there really is no need to make any
changes for normal scanning.

If Ubuntu's packages are outdated, then you need to contact their
package maintainer, the clamav people have no control over that.
However, many distro's are running 0.100 branch due to some
incompatible changes that 0.101 branch has in regards to 3rd party
integration. For all practical purposes, there is no difference in
scanning ability between the two branches, they use the same virus
definition files, you will get the same results. Yes, freshclam will
give a warning but it can be safely ignored. Some distros have even
backported certain changes into their 0.100 builds, you would have to
read the package's changelog to see exactly.

Re: [clamav-users] Can't download definitions [ In reply to ]
Yes, that's pretty much what I did.

The instructions on your web page literally just say to uncomment some
stuff, and here is what is "most popular".

All that book of excess instructions needed to get the thing to work and
you can't even be specific.  And from what I saw the other configuration
file that also had to be edited wasn't mentioned at all, not that it
wouldn't be easy to miss.

Dora

Re: [clamav-users] Can't download definitions [ In reply to ]
It gave me an error message that my antivirus program wasn't up to date,
and everyone knows your antivirus version as well as definitions has to
be up to date or it will miss something critical!

Guys, you don't get out of needing to be as specific as you are
excessively complicated.

Dora

Re: [clamav-users] Can't download definitions [ In reply to ]
On 18.08.19 08:35, Dora Smith via clamav-users wrote:
>It gave me an error message that my antivirus program wasn't up to
>date,

it's just a warning, not an error.

>and everyone knows your antivirus version as well as definitions
>has to be up to date or it will miss something critical!

what "everyone knows" is often incorrect and unimportant.
antivirus version must be updated only if changes in the virus database need
newer version.

Also, virus DB version has nothing to do with clamav version.

>Guys, you don't get out of needing to be as specific as you are
>excessively complicated.

it's you who makes things complicated. You even did not answer my question:

>>which GUI? and what exactly do you ned to scan?

Simply post ubuntu bugreport for installing new clamav version to 18.04.

>On 8/18/19 5:25 AM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>>On 17.08.19 16:47, Dora Smith via clamav-users wrote:
>>>I went through your whole looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong
>>>
>>>installation procedure to get the up to date version of clamav,
>>>and can't download the definitions.
>>
>>according to your later mail, you are using ubuntu 18.04.? There
>>should be
>>nothing wrong with clamav version 0.100.3 in this version of ubuntu,
>>but if
>>you really need, you could backport (compile) version 0.101.2 from eoan.
>>
>>it's not a good idea to compile available software locally, when packages
>>are available.
>>
>>>It seems to download most of them but can't download one, and it
>>>tries three times, and then it fails
>>>

>>>So it downloaded main.cvd, daily.cvd, safebrowsing.cvd, and
>>>bytecode.cvd, but can't download database1.cvd or something, and
>>>there might be a problem with teh mirrors in my conf file, which
>>>didn't contain any mirrors and I didn't mess with them if they're
>>>there and I didn't see them.
>>>
>>>At one point it said it couldn't PING clamav.net, and when I tried
>>>I pinged clamav.net without any trouble.
>>>
>>>And when I get my definititions, I need to run clamav now and not
>>>when it feels like it - how do I exactly do that??? The GUI for
>>>the out of date version would only let me set up a time to run it.

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.