Mailing List Archive

[clamav-users] Can't query....

https://github.com/vrtadmin/clamav-faq

http://www.clamav.net/contact.html#ml
Re: [clamav-users] Can't query.... [ In reply to ]
Hi Jim,

Some background about "ping.clamav.net":

Freshclam has a feature to do a DNS query for domain names of the form:
<databasename>.<clam functionality level>.<success?>.<host is on WIndows>.<hex IPv4 address of mirror>.ping.clamav.net

It is of course not a real host in our domain, but instead the query gets logged and that provides an extremely low cost method for getting basic telemetry on the performance of mirror infrastructure. The metadata in question hasn't held too much value to our team for a long time, especially now that we're using CloudFlare instead of using a network of 3rd party mirrors.

Regarding the error you're seeing:

I think the "Can't query" error is new and indicates some infrastructure change or potential issue with the server that had been the sink for the DNS lookups (ns4.clamav.net (?)). Joel Esler said he'd look into it. In the meantime, it's fine to be seeing those errors -- since they're basically saying that it failed to report telemetry that we no longer record or review. The ability to use freshclam to keep up to date should remain unimpeded.

On a related note, the next feature release of ClamAV has a significant update to freshclam. A part of that is removing this "ping.clamav.net" DNS query feature.

-Micah

Micah Snyder
ClamAV Development
Talos