0.92.1 from this site: http://w32.clamav.net/

pls help, regard's,

Matej
Re: New version 0.93.1 [ In reply to ]
On 17 Jun 2008 at 19:50, matej sostaric wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Now i'm very confused about this versions of 0.93.1.
> Till now u have downloaded it from:
> http://w32.clamav.net/
> It worked great but there is no longer new version.

I'm not sure why there hasn't been a recent version from there, but there are other more
recent builds you could try:

sosdg has a version using cygwin emulation http://www.sosdg.org/clamav-win32

clamwin has a ported version but includes a gui etc. http://www.clamwin.com/

and there are others.

> Now i have discovered it in sofpedia.com and majorgeeks.com.
> One is 2,9 MB and other is 16MB???

Some just include the command line modules. Other include gui, docs and a sig database!

> There are also differences of installation. Untill now i have set up clam av
> in program files and runed Powertools for service.

Almost any service tool (srvany, firedaemon etc) can be used to run clamd as a service, but
no 2 windows versions have the same directory structure :(

paul

Re: New version 0.93.1 [ In reply to ]
The Majorgeeks.com and softpedia.com versions are mirrors of the sosdg (The
Summit Open Source Development Group) version built with cygwin. I prefer
the native version but I sometimes use the clamwin version as well, but
clamd isn't included with that build.

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 5:50 PM,
<paul+cv@blakecomp.co.uk<paul%2Bcv@blakecomp.co.uk>>
wrote:

> On 17 Jun 2008 at 19:50, matej sostaric wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > Now i'm very confused about this versions of 0.93.1.
> > Till now u have downloaded it from:
> > http://w32.clamav.net/
> > It worked great but there is no longer new version.
>
> I'm not sure why there hasn't been a recent version from there, but there
> are other more
> recent builds you could try:
>
> sosdg has a version using cygwin emulation
> http://www.sosdg.org/clamav-win32
>
> clamwin has a ported version but includes a gui etc.
> http://www.clamwin.com/
>
> and there are others.
>
> > Now i have discovered it in sofpedia.com and majorgeeks.com.
> > One is 2,9 MB and other is 16MB???
>
> Some just include the command line modules. Other include gui, docs and a
> sig database!
>
> > There are also differences of installation. Untill now i have set up clam
> av
> > in program files and runed Powertools for service.
>
> Almost any service tool (srvany, firedaemon etc) can be used to run clamd
> as a service, but
> no 2 windows versions have the same directory structure :(
>
> paul

Michael M. Minor
Re: New version 0.93.1 [ In reply to ]
>> Hello.
>>
>> Now i'm very confused about this versions of 0.93.1.
>> Till now u have downloaded it from:
>> http://w32.clamav.net/
>> It worked great but there is no longer new version.
>>

> I'm not sure why there hasn't been a recent version from there, but there are other more
> recent builds you could try:
>
> sosdg has a version using cygwin emulation http://www.sosdg.org/clamav-win32
>
> clamwin has a ported version but includes a gui etc. http://www.clamwin.com/
>
> and there are others.

http://hideout.ath.cx/clamav/ also has a native build, though there's is
based somewhat on the ClamWin codebase. I've never used their build
because originally it was ported using cygwin like sosdg, and I already
had one that worked using that method. I too prefer a native build if it
performs decently enough.

I started with sosdg, then moved around builds, and when the
w32.clamav.net build stopped updating, ended up back on the sosdg build
because it's performance is great compared with my last experiences with
ClamWin.

I can't stand that all Windows versions have to put themselves in a
different directory structure, and that not one of them follows Windows
conventions for data placement. The build I mentioned above is probably
the closest to reasonable directory placement without following
standards. Nigel's w32.clamav.net build is going to have issues on
Windows where it doesn't allow a user to write to the Program Files
tree, so it needs a mod to relocate the data to ProgramData or AppData
where it belongs. Both can easily be had from environment variables or
WMI calls even in windows scripting languages.

Bret

Re: New version 0.93.1 [ In reply to ]
On 18 Jun 2008 at 19:46, Michael M. Minor wrote:

> the native version but I sometimes use the clamwin version as well, but
> clamd isn't included with that build.

Good point - I had forgotten that vital info. I wonder why clamd/clamdscan is not included?

paul

Re: New version 0.93.1 [ In reply to ]
On 19 Jun 2008 at 14:13, Bret Miller wrote:

> I can't stand that all Windows versions have to put themselves in a
> different directory structure, and that not one of them follows Windows
> conventions for data placement. The build I mentioned above is probably
> the closest to reasonable directory placement without following
> standards. Nigel's w32.clamav.net build is going to have issues on
> Windows where it doesn't allow a user to write to the Program Files
> tree, so it needs a mod to relocate the data to ProgramData or AppData
> where it belongs. Both can easily be had from environment variables or
> WMI calls even in windows scripting languages.

Yea, I feel it too.

paul

Re: New version 0.93.1 [ In reply to ]
Re: New version 0.93.1 [ In reply to ]
I went to the site. Am I right that the clamav-win32-0.93.1.7z file now
includes the clamdscan or am I reading the release notes incorreclty?
Anyone from the Clamwin team listening who might like to clarify?
Thanks Brian A

Re: New version 0.93.1 [ In reply to ]
Re: New version 0.93.1 [ In reply to ]
On 20 Jun 2008 at 2:29, Gianluigi Tiesi wrote:

> you need to pick standalone binary distribution from:
> http://oss.netfarm.it/clamav/

Thanks for the link.

paul

Re: New version 0.93.1 [ In reply to ]
Gianluigi,
Thank you for the reply. I don't use Clamwin as the front end GUI. I
use an old front end called Tech Protect 4, which uses command line
arguments from the native win32 app. of clam-av. Unfortunately Tech
Protect 4 is no longer under development. I use it because it integrates
with any POP3 email clients, like Thunderbird and Sylpheed. So I'll try
your version out and let you know if it works with the app. I have
also used the link for integrating Clamdscan with Firefox and FLOCK
downloads, thus I'm hoping your version will work.

Since I have your interest... I'll need to point my front end to where
clam-av is stored, where will your version install? Are you working to
change the directory structure to the native windows structure? I
usually do an advanced install to at least get the application
executables in the Program Files directory, but that doesn't help for
the user profile and saves.

Best Regards, Brian A
-IN GOD WE TRUST-

Re: New version 0.93.1 [ In reply to ]
Re: New version 0.93.1 [ In reply to ]
Gianluigi Tiesi wrote:

[...]

>| Since I have your interest... I'll need to point my front end to where
>| clam-av is stored, where will your version install? Are you working to
>| change the directory structure to the native windows structure? I
>| usually do an advanced install to at least get the application
>| executables in the Program Files directory, but that doesn't help for
>| the user profile and saves.
>|

>You'll need to put files in your preferred dir, I suggest
>c:\clamav
>make c:\clamav\db for database
>edit clamav.reg as your needs and merge it

what is the advantage?

>configure the provided freshclam.conf in c:\clamav directory
>put c:\clamav directory in your path

never did so. I call the command line tools with an absolute path and
--config-file=(full path).

Since I have to provide absolute paths in the configurations files
anyway, I can pass absolute paths everywhere. No need to clutter up
the registry.

[...]

>and sorry I'll need to add some docs about it, but currently I haven't many
>users of the command line only port

Maybe there are more users than you think - at least of the sources.

Oliver

Re: New version 0.93.1 [ In reply to ]

Oliver Betz wrote:
| Gianluigi Tiesi wrote:
|
| [...]
|
|> | Since I have your interest... I'll need to point my front end to where
|> | clam-av is stored, where will your version install? Are you working to
|> | change the directory structure to the native windows structure? I
|> | usually do an advanced install to at least get the application
|> | executables in the Program Files directory, but that doesn't help for
|> | the user profile and saves.
|> |

|> You'll need to put files in your preferred dir, I suggest
|> c:\clamav
|> make c:\clamav\db for database
|> edit clamav.reg as your needs and merge it
|
| what is the advantage?

It's just an option, --config still works
I prefer to have clamscan to work out of the box

|> configure the provided freshclam.conf in c:\clamav directory
|> put c:\clamav directory in your path
|
| never did so. I call the command line tools with an absolute path and
| --config-file=(full path).
|
| Since I have to provide absolute paths in the configurations files
| anyway, I can pass absolute paths everywhere. No need to clutter up
| the registry.

HKCU / HKLM \ Software \ Clamav
remove it to clean the registry

| [...]
|
|> and sorry I'll need to add some docs about it, but currently I haven't many
|> users of the command line only port
|
| Maybe there are more users than you think - at least of the sources.
|
| Oliver

Good :)

Regards
- --