What are the opions about using ripmime for future development
of clamav?

Petr
Re: ripmime-1.3.0.5 released [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:06:06 +0100
Krištof Petr <Kristof.P@fce.vutbr.cz> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> a few days before the new version of ripmime was released.
>
> It should contain patch by James Steven for better cooperation
> with clamav.
>
> What are the opions about using ripmime for future development
> of clamav?

Due to the ripmime license we only may link against it and cannot
include in clamav sources. I can add a --with-ripmime option to the
configure script to force ripmime if it's really important to you.

Best regards,
Tomasz Kojm
--
oo ..... tkojm@clamav.net www.ClamAV.net
(\/)\......... http://www.clamav.net/gpg/tkojm.gpg
Re: ripmime-1.3.0.5 released [ In reply to ]
Tomasz Kojm wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:06:06 +0100
> Krištof Petr <Kristof.P@fce.vutbr.cz> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>a few days before the new version of ripmime was released.
>>
>>What are the opions about using ripmime for future development
>>of clamav?
>

> Due to the ripmime license we only may link against it and cannot
> include in clamav sources. I can add a --with-ripmime option to the
> configure script to force ripmime if it's really important to you.
>
> Best regards,
> Tomasz Kojm

So which part of it's license terms are problematic? Pasted below...

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
met:

* Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

* Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided
with the distribution.

* Neither the name of [original copyright holder] nor the names of
its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products
derived from this software without specific prior written
permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
"AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR
A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT
OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
(INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Thomas
Re: ripmime-1.3.0.5 released [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:57:41 +0100
Thomas Lamy <Thomas.Lamy@in-online.net> wrote:

> Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
> modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
> met:
>
> * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
> notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
>
> * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
> copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
> disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided
> with the distribution.
>
> * Neither the name of [original copyright holder] nor the names
> of
> its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products
> derived from this software without specific prior written
> permission.
>
> THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
> "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
> LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR
> A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT
> OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
> SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
> LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
> DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
> THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
> (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
> OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

I'm not a lawyer but was told it's a BSD-like license and conflicts with
GPL (but not LGPL, but remember that libclamav is GPL because of the
included code).

Best regards,
Tomasz Kojm
--
oo ..... tkojm@clamav.net www.ClamAV.net
(\/)\......... http://www.clamav.net/gpg/tkojm.gpg
\..........._ 0DCA5A08407D5288279DB43454822DC8985A444B
//\ /\ Wed Nov 19 20:07:52 CET 2003
Re: ripmime-1.3.0.5 released [ In reply to ]
Hi Tomasz, on Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:43:02 +0100 you wrote:

> I'm not a lawyer but was told it's a BSD-like license and conflicts with
> GPL (but not LGPL, but remember that libclamav is GPL because of the
> included code).

IANAL either, but according to:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html

there are two kinds of BSD licenses: original and modified. Again
according to that page, the original is GPL-incompatible, the modified
version is GPL-compatible. To me the above license looks like the modified
version (i.e. GPL compatible). So, good news?

Tim
Re: ripmime-1.3.0.5 released [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:05:39 +0000
Tim Jackson <lists@timj.co.uk> wrote:

> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html
>
> there are two kinds of BSD licenses: original and modified. Again
> according to that page, the original is GPL-incompatible, the modified
> version is GPL-compatible. To me the above license looks like the
> modified version (i.e. GPL compatible). So, good news?

Hmmm, it sounds like a big simplification... I think it will be more
safe only to link against that library. Personally, I prefer Nigel's
code but why not to give users a choice ?

Best regards,
Tomasz Kojm
--
oo ..... tkojm@clamav.net www.ClamAV.net
(\/)\......... http://www.clamav.net/gpg/tkojm.gpg
\..........._ 0DCA5A08407D5288279DB43454822DC8985A444B
//\ /\ Thu Nov 20 00:31:56 CET 2003