Anything to note? QoS? Any comments or Suggestions?

TIA

Scott
RE: Voice over ADSL PPPoATM [ In reply to ]
Scott:
I setup an Cisco 837 Router (built-in ADSL modem) that VPNs back to our
corporate office. The remote user has a 7940 IP phone and the QOS I
used was pretty basic by giving VoIP traffic precedence over data
traffic.

Personally, setting up and 837 router is a lot more work than setting up
a PIX 501 or 506E for this application.

-Oliver

Is anyone currently using IPT over an ADSL connection using PPPoA.

Looks something like this:

Home - cisco 675 ----- ADSL ------- Telco ATM ---------- Work - router -
LAN -CM 3.3.4 - VGW -PSTN.

Anything to note? QoS? Any comments or Suggestions?

TIA

Scott

ATTENTION:
The information contained in this message may be legally privileged
and confidential. It is intended to be read only by the individual
or entity to whom it is addressed or by their designee. If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, you are on notice that
any distribution of this message, in any form, is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify
the sender and/or Fenwick & West LLP by telephone at (650) 988-8500
and delete or destroy any copy of this message.
RE: Voice over ADSL PPPoATM [ In reply to ]
We did this exact scenario and had to fall back to a T1. PPPoA vs. PPPoE
was a non-issue. Lack of QoS in the Telco ATM network was a
show-stopper. Needless to say the telco had no interest in making it
work. There are some sticky NAT traversal issues with phones and
CallManager. There are some third parties solutions popping up to
address this. We set up GRE tunnels to our CM to work around them.

Baylor Fooks
Blue Ridge Internetworks
www.brnets.com
direct: 434-951-7992
mobile: 434-531-0100
fax: 434-817-0740

RE: Voice over ADSL PPPoATM [ In reply to ]
I have several sites that use a PIX 501 to do a VPN back to the head
office, Since the PIX doesn't really support QOS I just changed my
codec to G729 for those calls. We aren't using PPPOA but are using
Cable modem (docsis) and so far we haven't had any problems...

Marc Hering

Network Engineer

The Gale Company

100 Campus Drive

Suite 200

Florham Park, NJ 07932

Direct: 973.301.8209

Fax: 973.236.2150

www.thegalecompany.com

[...]

The Gale Company is one of the largest real estate companies in the industry with a global portfolio exceeding 60 million square feet of office space. For more information contact 973-301-9500 or visit www.TheGaleCompany.com
RE: Voice over ADSL PPPoATM [ In reply to ]
> There are some sticky NAT traversal issues with phones and
> CallManager. There are some third parties solutions popping up to
> address this.

There is an existing Cisco solution to NAT traversal, which is
to enable the SCCP application layer gateway in the IOS router
or the PIX. IOS calls this 'cbac', PIX calls this 'fixup'. As
you stated, I understand at least one 3rd party is working on
nearly-identical functionality as well.

In any case, if you don't trust the underlying network (such
as the Internet), your VoIP traffic from a branch office
to corporate office should be protected by an IPsec tunnel.

-d