If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify
the sender and/or Fenwick & West LLP by telephone at (650) 988-8500
and delete or destroy any copy of this message.
Re: OT: Title - VoIP Admin or IP Telephony Admin? [ In reply to ]
OT: Title - VoIP Admin or IP Telephony Admin?Titles can be a sticky and touchy situation, and have in some cases become over exagerated, case in point, the latest Subway commercial. "Hi, I'm Julie, and I'm a Subway Sandwich Artist" No offense, but I've been to plenty of Subways, and I've met many artists, and slapping meet on a bun with a face that says you'd rather be tanning on South Beach does not make you an artist. Let's face it, those are three words that shouldn't be used together.

That being said, I think titles should be reflective of a person's responsibilities and for the tasks they are most likely to perform. Although I dabble in configuring systems and the like, I don't call myself a systems analyst or system administrator. I deal with networking related issues, and anlyze problems when they arise, and provide porposed solutions based on the troubleshooting that I perform, hence, we've gone with Network Analysts here. The telephone system itself has once again become integrated with the network, so troubleshooting telephone problems is part and parcel of that. Well, at least the part we do. Although designing the part telephony architecture is one of my responsibilities, I'm still expected to telnet to a 3524 and figure out why the voice vlan isn't working, and when I've figured it out, to help my team out and fix it, not simply tell them it's not working. ;)

As far as VOIP is concerned, I still think it's not as well known (or even sounds half as nice) as IP Telephony, so that's what I use in my correspondance.

I do want to mention one thing, the use of words such as engineer and architect. I think that words like that should be reserved for those with that degree/training/designation from acredited institutions.

Not sure if that helped, but I figure I would add my two cents.