From: "Voll, Scott" <Scott.Voll@wesd.org>
Date: Thursday, July 15, 2004 11:36 pm
Subject: RE: [cisco-voip] Need Help Configuring Cat2924XL

RE: T1 dropoffs. [ In reply to ]
Peter,

A 'debug voip ccapi inout' on the 3745 should show the timer that is popping
and causing the call to be torn down. Is the VOIP control protocol h323 or
MGCP?

Also, what is the originating VOIP device?

IPPhones do not do RTCP so the IOS gateways will timeout on non-receipt of
RTCP if "no mgcp timer receive-rtcp" is not configured in the gateway.

sample config:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk652/tk701/technologies_configurati
on_example09186a008022eaa3.shtml

/Wes

Re: RE: T1 dropoffs. [ In reply to ]
Wes,

We are currently are using H323. We do not have this command inputed "no mgcp timer receive-rtcp" in our script. I did the debug command and it resulted in no displayed output. Any other ideas?

V/R,
PETER CASANAVE
SSG, USA
BBN Platoon Sergeant

Re: T1 dropoffs. [ In reply to ]
Peter,

If you telnet into the router, then you must do "term mon" before
performing the debugs.

/Wes

Re: T1 dropoffs. [ In reply to ]
Eric,

We figured out the problem. It was a software problem in the tactical circuit switch. We have patched it and since have it up and good. By IDSN I meant the default switch type i.e. 5ess which we are using. We are using ds0-groups on a T1 emulating a 5ess. For our pri circuits we emmulate a dms-100.
Here is one thing I had a couple of questions about. If you are not running MGCP in your voice network and your gateway router accesses the T1s by dial-peer instruction, are their any commands required for the gateway to access PBX. I my situation I have a c3745 with 4 T1s. We have two in use right now and may add the other two soon. The two T1s are going to the same PBX. I know MGCP would probably make this work easier but, we are not using this at this time. My current dial-peers are identical for both T1s. The following is an example of how my dial-peers look now:

dial-peer voice 1 pots
destination-pattern .......
port 3/0:0
foward-digits all

dial-peer voice 2 pots
destination-pattern .......
port 3/1:0
foward-digits all

The problem is that we do not have high call volume at this time but, here soon these circuits will be saturated. Will this method work. Is this the best way? And will this load balance at all? I know this may be elementary but, we, my Platoon of Soldiers, are learning this on the fly out of books. We have no formal training. Kevin Knowlen and I who are both members of this mailing-list have extensive router experience but not much with voice. Thank you all for your time.

V/R,
PETER CASANAVE
SSG, USA
BBN Platoon Sergeant
RE: T1 dropoffs. [ In reply to ]
Hi Peter,

Matching is done based on calling party number and called party number,
these are good places to start:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a00801
0ae1c.shtml
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a00801
47524.shtml
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a00801
0fed1.shtml

/Wes

Re: T1 dropoffs. [ In reply to ]
Peter,

That should work fine, though you probably won't experience a true load-balance with that config. What most likely will happen is that all the matching calls will match the first dial-peer until the corresponding voice-port is saturated, then roll over to the next one. If you want to do something a bit more elegant, you can aggregate multiple voice-ports using 'trunk groups,' take a look here at the various trunkgroup commands here:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122newft/122tcr/122tvr/vrg_t1.htm

controller T1 1/0
ds0-group 1 timeslots 1-10 type e&m-fgd
cas-custom 1
trunk-group foo

controller T1 1/1
ds0-group 1 timeslots 1-10 type e&m-fgd
cas-custom 1
trunk-group foo

dial-peer voice 1 pots
destination-pattern .......
trunkgroup foo
foward-digits all

Hope this helps!

Re: RE: RE: T1 dropoffs. [ In reply to ]
Wes,

Yes there are active ports. We are having plenty of weird stuff with VLANs right now though. Lots of systems can establish connectivity to the LAN although thier VLAN is up and other systems on thier VLAN can get to the gateway and through it. Do you have any experience with Cisco 16 Port switching module for 3600 and 3700 series routers. We have one in the VLAN serving as the gateway to two of the VLANs but not participating in the VLAN domain. I wish I could give you more details of the network but, I can give you to much information on the topology. What I can say is we a couple of switched champus LAN achitechures containing over 100 switches. We also have ATM backbone in other areas and a routed backbone. Well, my team recently connected to the switched network. We have some private VLANs that need not be put on the VTP Domain. So, we did not place our selves in the domain and are using VTP Transparent on our switches. Since joining the switched network we have had s
ome flaky things like differents VLAN running as the native VLANs on switches to establish interswitch connectivity. We still have connectivity issues but, for the most part they are off our Router Switching Module (NM-ESW-16).

Peter

V/R,
PETER CASANAVE
SSG, USA