Mailing List Archive

7960 PoE pinout
I'd like to roll my own PoE converter for a 7960 phone, but I'm having
trouble finding docs on the cisco PoE pinout. One reference I found on
CIO says that cisco PoE puts 48v on the signal wires:

For inline power connections, signal pairs are used to provide inline
power. Nominally, there is 48 V between the pin pairs (1-2), and pairs
(3-6) when inline power is active.

Other PoE standards I've seen use the pairs not used by 10/100baseT to
provide power. If I hook one side of my 48v supply to 1&2 and the other
to 3&6, is there a risk of damaging the swithport (or switch, a 2900XL)
that supplies this ethernet drop? Which pair gets the + adn which gets
the -?

Jon Lewis | I route
Senior Network Engineer | therefore you are
Atlantic Net |