Mailing List Archive

original called number causes problems with remote voicemail systems
We have two NI-2 PRIs on our gateway connected to CM.

Most things work flawlessly.

However, when an inbound call is forwarded or transferred from an IP
phone to a user at a non-Cisco PBX site, we have voicemail problems.

Let's see if I can describe this clearly:

The destination voicemail systems tend to 'see' the Original Called
Number that is being passed on the ISDN Setup messages, and tries to
find a match on the destination voicemail system for the number of the
IP phone, rather than that of the actual Called Number.

Example:

Call comes inbound for IP phone 123.456.7890;

Call is forwarded or transferred to external phone number via PRI,
987.654.3210;

At destination site, the call comes into the PBX via PRI with three
phone numbers in the Setup message:

1) the originating ANI, if available;

2) the Original Called Number, 123.456.7890;

3) the Called Number, that is, the number that the call was
forwarded/transferred to, 987.654.3210.

When the PBX passes the call to voicemail, the voicemail system tries to
find a voice mailbox for 123.456.7890, rather than looking for mailbox
987.654.3210.

So now to the question:

How can we SUPPRESS the Original Called Number on the outbound leg of
these calls?

Do we set this on the gateway or on the cm phone parameters, or
elsewhere?

Remember, the call translation in the normal sense is not the issue:
calls complete correctly, as far as their routing via the PSTN. We just
need to get rid of the pesky 'Original Called Number' information so it
doesn't get passed on to these destination voicemail systems.

Any hints/suggestions would be appreciated

- Sam