Will it install/function on any decent PIII/IV PC(Dell, Gateway, etc..)
running windows 2K? I'm new to cisco's VOIP technologies, so any help
would be appreciated. If so, I was planning on purchasing two 7960s from
e-bay and somehow get my hands on a copy of Call Manager. I'm basically
looking for the cheapest way to get a functioning Call Manager in my
home lab.

Thanks,
dave
Re: Call Manager Platform [ In reply to ]
If you just want to run VoIP and you don't specifically need a
CallManager, you can run CallManager Express (was called ITS) which is
a functional (does not have complete feature parity, though)
CallManager running within IOS.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/index.html

CME was introduced in 12.2(15)ZJ (and is now in 12.3T), but ITS has
been around for a while if you don't meet the memory/flash
requirements for that.

Both will allow you to run 7960s with the SCCP (CallManager) load.

Also, the CallManager software does check to see that you're
installing it on "approved" hardware. I don't know how it does the
check, but it does check.

Regards,

Clay

Re: Call Manager Platform [ In reply to ]
On 12/4/2003 10:46 PM, Clayton Kossmeyer wrote:

<snip>

> Also, the CallManager software does check to see that you're
> installing it on "approved" hardware. I don't know how it does the
> check, but it does check.

<snip>
In working with a consultant on an implementation, he mentioned being
able to install the Call Manager on an IBM machine at home...there was a
few registry tweaks he had to do to make his machine look like a
Compaq.. I didn't ask for the keys though, sorry, but my point is that
it's just some registry tweaks on a base Win2k Server install to get the
Call Manager installed..

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this message and or attachments is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, copying, or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this e-mail or its attachments in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any system and destroy any copies.
Re: Call Manager Platform [ In reply to ]
hello!

> Also, the CallManager software does check to see that you're
> installing it on "approved" hardware. I don't know how it does the
> check, but it does check.

It does and it even goes that far, that it checks for processor ID and machine model ID. Of course, you must have correct scsi harddrives, correct amount of memory and so on. Basically, it installs on a small number of IBM servers.

If I remember correctly, some older versions didn't have that "feature", but 3.3 definetly does.

--
tarko