Mailing List Archive

Help Desk
Does anyone use IP Telephony in a Help Desk environment?

I'm trying to find the best way to set up my staff. I have about 10
staff and two different help desk numbers. 2 to 5 people log in on each
helpdesk number daily (different people daily); One primary and one
secondary. I know I need to do a Hunt group, but how should I set it
up? Here are some Ideas I came up with:

* Primary & Secondary EM Login (problem the Tech looses their extension
and people can't call him direct)
* Set up two or three EM Logins for each person, one profile with no
helpdesk (default), one with extension and primary, one with extension
and secondary, etc. etc. (seems to be the best option, but time
consuming to make 3 or 4 profiles per person)
* Have a Helpdesk phone and a secondary helpdesk phone and move it to
the tech's desk each day. (Extra hardware, ports and phones)
* All techs have a shared helpdesk line as there second line (bad
option, only one helpdesk call at a time)

What is everyone else doing?? Is there a better option that I didn't
come up with?

Thanks in advance

Scott Voll
Network Analyst, CCNA
Willamette ESD
RE: Help Desk [ In reply to ]
Yes, We work with lots of folks in help desk environments. Frequent
configs we see, please examine which might work for you:

1. Attendant Console - ac client is installed on PC adjacent with phone,
user "logs in" and "goes online" to receive calls from the pilot point.
requires use of PC software, no queuing mechanism(immediate distribution),
can be installed co-resident with CCM.

2. CRA/CRS - can use either ipphone service or PC software to allow
user to login and go online/offline. allows queueing mechanism, reporting,
it's a full ICD suite. can be installed co-resident with CCM so no add'l
hardware req'd.

3. Extension Mobility - have users login to phones. you could configure
CFNA/CFB to roll between lines or you could setup an Attendant Console
huntgroup that uses "route to DN" NOTE:route to user/line in AC is not
supported with EM.
no queuing, no add'l hardware

4. Shared lines - give all the phones L1/L2 as private line and make lines
3-6 shared and cfb/cfna through them for your help desk. Live with 4 calls
for now, upgrade to CM4.0 late this year/early next and get up to 16 calls
per line so the limitation is lifted.
no queuing, no add'l hardware, waiting in the wings for CM4.0

/Wes