Mailing List Archive

Re: [ VoIP Deployment Questions]
MPuras@solunet.com wrote:

> Hi all. I am in need of some guidance regarding uptime, packet loss and
> latency for national / international VoIP network. We will be rolling
> out a VoIP network. The first phase of the deployment will consist of
> getting the customer HQ located in Boca Raton, Fl. and one of the remote
> offices located in Los Angeles. LA will have a fractional T1 to the
> local POP and Boca will have a full T1 at the main office to the local
> POP. We will have VPNs between the remote offices and the HQ. Future
> deployment will also include New York and London. All packets (voice
> and data) will leave the network in either location as a standard IP
> packet. I am in the process of looking at a few different carriers and
> selecting one for this national / International VoIP rollout. QoS
> end-to-end is a big concern for me.

easy enough to do - however, insisting that a carrier have qos end-to-end
it a bit silly. latency, on a bad day, in the us, coast to coast, is in
the range of 150-200ms, a very acceptably number for voip. quality starts
sounding a bit hollow over 300, but is perfectly usable upwards of 600ms,
providing that the delay is constant (there are many many voip routes that
take satellite paths)...the place where you should think about qos is on
the local lan and the office wan connection. if the link is saturated
with http/ftp/smtp/worm traffic, of course voip won't work. you should
also be mindful of the bandwidth being given to voip and which codec you
choose. g711 sounds the best, but uses bandwidth equivalent to a pstn
call (one ds0/call) - other codecs use less at the expense of some
quality (although g729 is very popular because a call uses 12-16k).
another issue with cisco's g729 implementation is that it is subject to
horrible degradation (you can't use it) if is goes through more than
three compression cycles (can't find the link, but it is in a cisco doc
dealing with voip bandwidth usage or something semi-unrelated)

adding london and nyc will be easy - nyc will have similar bandwidth and
circuit availibility as cali, london is about the same. if you are going
to be running vpns of some sort, make sure that you are not introducing
too much additional delay

> One of the carriers I am looking claims that it guarantees a 99.97%
> uptime and no more than .05% packet loss during any calendar month.
> However they do not offer QoS.

low packet loss is good, although voip can deal with a bit more than that.
see above for my opinions on qos

> Is this consider acceptable for a VoIP deployment? What sort of uptime
> and latency and packet loss should I be looking for? Would you still
> require QoS if the network utilization of the carrier is half of its
> capacity?
>
> Any recommendations for carriers?

pick your favorite isp - then see who has the best prices for loops in
the areas that you are in

/joshua