We are just starting the Cvoice and CIPT class and have not yet got to
this but I need to get the PRI ordered.

Thanks in advance.

Scott Voll
Network Analyst, CCNA
Willamette ESD
Phone: (503) 385-4571
scott.voll@wesd.org
RE: signaling for PRI -- NewBee [ In reply to ]
Scott,

Welcome to telecom :-)

I suggest spending several hours with a good good book like
Newton's Telecom Dictionary.

Your PRI uses a d-channel to do out of band signalling, but there
are several things "below" that if you think of this as a layered approach:

1. linecode: b8zs or ami
2. framing: esf or sf (usually b8zs goes with esf and ami goes with sf)
3. then select your "isdn switch type" this is usually based on
what type of switch your carrier (or enterprise) is using
examples: primary-5ess primary-dms100 primary-ni

A PRI (Priarmay Rate Interface) uses out of band signaling via the
data channel (d-channel) to send calling/called party numbers. The voice
is the carried over the remaining bearer channels (b-channels) which
could be 1 or up to 23 on a single T1. This is distinctly different from a
"voice t1" or "clear channel t1" or "robbed bit t1" or "t1-CAS"
CAS=Channel Associated Signaling.

For a Voice T1 you you have choices of Ground/Loop or E&M
Wink/Delay/Immediate.
These determine what type of signaling is used to initiate the call.
On a Voice T1 you would still have (by "layer")
1. linecode: b8zs or ami
2. framing: esf or sf (usually b8zs goes with esf and ami goes with sf)
3. configure the number of ds0's and the signal type - Wink/Ground/Immediate
or Ground/Loop.

Avoid Ground/Loop if at all possible, chooose one of the 3 E&M types.

DTMF/Pulse are digit relay types.
DTMF = dual tone multi frequency is like your push button phone at home now.
pulse is like your phone when you were growing up (? age dependant)
with the dial that you spun around and around.

Use the keywords above and google or www.cisco.com to fill in the
gaps.

/Wes