I don't come across these in the field at all, and I don't see them being
proposed or quoted these days, despite vCUBE having been around for a few
years now.
Re: vCUBE Experiences [ In reply to ]
Slightly OT.

Recently purchased and stood up some SBCs for a MS Team integration. CUBE wasn’t an option as the feature wasn’t out of beta.

I’ve been happy with the Ribbon SWe virtual platform. It seems easier to manage/support than CUBEs.

I’m generally happy with a command line however CUBEs just seem more cumbersome.

Re: vCUBE Experiences [ In reply to ]
Been using for awhile now without issue. Typical setup (bunch of dial
peers, server groups, e164 pattern maps, etc).

The only problem was a tcl script media playback issue in earlier ios
version which we worked through with TAC and bug fixed in newer ios
versions for awhile now.

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 4:30 PM Anthony Holloway <

Re: vCUBE Experiences [ In reply to ]
Great question, also interested in hearing production stories.

I've deployed Virtual Acme Packet's previously - same limitations - no DSP's etc.
It was a little early and we had teething issues of appliance to virtual machine type stuff.. but through the updates this improved.

I've played with CUBE on CSR1000V on AWS - SIP trunks to Twilio - and it works great.
It's certainly so nice and easy to spin up.
I've also run CSR1000V in AWS for dynamic VPN's.. which again works great.

The DSP's are a nice fallback. You don't need them 99% of the time.. but when that 1% case comes up later - then it's certainly handy.
I think that's a big reason vCUBE is not quoted in customer land.
I assume it could be popular in service provider land though.

With that Acme deployment (and this was actually years ago now) - we were migrating, so we still had PRI gateways with plenty of free DSP's, which we could use for Transcoders if required.

Cheers,

Tim.

________________________________

Re: vCUBE Experiences [ In reply to ]
What versions are you using/seeing out there? Any 17 code?

I noticed that when you download the OVA you pick an IOS version. How does
that affect upgrades? Do you upgrade like an ISR, or do you do something
else?

Re: vCUBE Experiences [ In reply to ]
Was that trunk to Twilio for CME? If not, what was on the backside of your
gateway? CUCM? If so, was that in AWS too?

Re: vCUBE Experiences [ In reply to ]
Back to CUCM on prem in lab via VPN.

The CUCM AWS deployment is out of reach for lab purposes.
That one is basically CUCM on VMWare in AWS (which is like the dedicated resources) - it's not AWS AMI format.

That said, I've got a great provider here in Australia that does VMWare based cloud (NSX).
That would be good for lab.

Cheers,

Tim

Re: vCUBE Experiences [ In reply to ]
I’ve deployed Ribbon for integraton to SfB—not a terrible experience but I found the troubleshooting/logging a bit lacking. That could have been my lack of experience showing though.

Re: vCUBE Experiences [ In reply to ]
Lelio,

Well – maybe. They rescinded video conferencing (and transcoding?) using the DSPs at some point. Audio transcoding is done in software all day – but the CPU of the ISR G2 platform at least is not its strong point, it is quickly snowed in by enough feature processing, records processing, debugging, etc. In a virtual environment there should be a stack of CPU available to do audio transcoding and get around that, but, then you don’t sell hardware.

Also yeah, 2.5 years thanks. I’ve lost track of time with all going on.

Best,

Adam