Mailing List Archive

[nsp] Route-Reflector question
Hello
I have question regarding BGP Route-Reflector. I have BGP network
which looks like that:

[router1] <---> [router2] <---> [router3]
1.1.1.1 1.1.1.2 1.1.1.3

router1 is r1
router2 is r2
router3 is r3

r1 and r2 are in "IBGP mesh"
r3 is RR-Client for r2
r2 is RR-Client for r3

So, i configured this that:

r1:

router bgp 100
neighbor 1.1.1.2 remote-as 100
neighbor 1.1.1.2 next-hop-self
!

r2:

router bgp 100
neighbor 1.1.1.1 remote-as 100
neighbor 1.1.1.1 next-hop-self
neighbor 1.1.1.3 remote-as 100
neighbor 1.1.1.3 next-hop-self
neighbor 1.1.1.3 route-reflector-client
!

r3:

router bgp 100
neighbor 1.1.1.2 remote-as 100
neighbor 1.1.1.2 next-hop-self
neighbor 1.1.1.2 route-reflector-client
!

Is above BGP Configurations are correct ? Maybe I should delete line:
"neighbor 1.1.1.2 route-reflector-client" from r3 configuration ?

best regards,
Tommy
RE: [nsp] Route-Reflector question [ In reply to ]
Tommy,

Yes, I would remove "neighbor 1.1.1.2 route-reflector-client" from r3
and put "neighbor 1.1.1.1 route-reflector-client" onto r2.
Marcus.

RE: [nsp] Route-Reflector question [ In reply to ]
ok to start off, You are not required to have R1 nd R2 be in a full IBGP
mesh (although very helpfull when you get to scaling the network). If you
are going to IBGP mesh, then do every router involved and save you some
headaches. Your configurations look good for the most part. The only thing
that I would question is the next-hop-self policies on ALL the routers.
Typically, unless you are doing EBGP peering on these routers, then it is
not recommended that you do this. It is not recommended that your RR is
also doing EBGP peering but as previously mentioned on another posting,
there is nothing stoping you from doing this. Just be aware that you can
run into router loops if not carefull.

In short, anyh time that you have a RR router, you will need to have
"neighbor x.x.x.x route-reflector-client" pointing to the client. On the
client you are just doing regular IBGP so nothing different that the usual.
Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Mario Puras
SoluNet Technical Support
Mailto: mpuras@solunet.com
Direct: (321) 309-1410
888.449.5766 (USA) / 888.SOLUNET (Canada)

RE: [nsp] Route-Reflector question [ In reply to ]
use the route-reflector command only if you have more than 3 routers in
cascade, think that if you have in the r3 an EBGP session and you need to
redistribute these prefixes in your backbone, you don´t need in the link
r2-r3 route reflectors, you must configure route reflector in the r2 between
r1. In

It depend´s, where are your EBGP sessions...

[...]

Este mensaje es confidencial. El mismo contiene información reservada
y que no puede ser difundida. Si usted ha recibido este e-mail
por error, por favor avísenos inmediatamente vía e-mail y tenga la
amabilidad de eliminarlo de su sistema; no deberá copiar el mensaje
ni divulgar su contenido a ninguna persona. Muchas gracias.

This message is confidential. It contains information that is privileged and
legally exempt from disclosure. If you have received this e-mail by mistake,

please let us know immediately by e-mail and delete it from your system;
you should also not copy the message nor disclose its contents to anyone.
Thank You.