scheduled a job to copy around 3GB data from one end to another atthe night
time, and which was expected to be completed at around 13 to 14 hours, but
we have only got half of the volume transferred. Monitoring by MRTG, we
found the utilization of the link is flat at around 220kbps during file
copying. Can someone tell me why I cannot fully utilize the bandwidth? How
can I make it?

Thanks in advance.

FL

Re: [nsp] cannot burst the line [ In reply to ]
is this frame relay?

if so, most telcos, etc.. have a 50% CIR (Commited Information Rate)
that allows you to burst up to 512k at times when there is capacity but
they only commit to giving you 50% of the full link speed.

- jared

Jared Mauch | pgp key available via finger from jared@puck.nether.net
clue++; | http://puck.nether.net/~jared/ My statements are only mine.
RE: [nsp] cannot burst the line [ In reply to ]
Is this a frame-relay or a frac ds1?

==DMT>

Re: [nsp] cannot burst the line [ In reply to ]
"Felix Lee" <felixlee_hk@hotmail.com> writes:

> I have a 512K link, the link can be bursted to ceiling in day time. I
> have scheduled a job to copy around 3GB data from one end to another
> atthe night time, and which was expected to be completed at around 13
> to 14 hours, but we have only got half of the volume transferred.
> Monitoring by MRTG, we found the utilization of the link is flat at
> around 220kbps during file copying. Can someone tell me why I cannot
> fully utilize the bandwidth? How can I make it?

I suspect you'll find the answer in the equipment on both ends' TCP
stacks. What are the machines, and what is the latency across the
link (both when the link is idle except for your ping, and when the
copy is in progress)?

---rob
RE: [nsp] cannot burst the line [ In reply to ]
Another thing to check.

Do you happen to have a bandwidth statement in your interface config? I've
found that our implementation of MRTG will cap it's reports at whatever is
in the bandwith statement. You might want to verify that MRTG is correctly
reporting the actual traffic.

--
Pam Weber
USDA

Re: [nsp] cannot burst the line [ In reply to ]
Dear all,

It is a leased circuit. It can be bursted up to 500K at day time. But the
file copying cannot only occupy half of the bandwidth.

FL

Re: [nsp] cannot burst the line [ In reply to ]
Dear all,

Below is the router information, is there any IOS bug on output buffering?

System image file is "disk0:c7200-is-mz.121-11b.E.bin"
cisco 7206VXR (NSE-1) processor (revision A) with 245760K/16384K bytes of
memory.

FL

Re: [nsp] cannot burst the line [ In reply to ]
At 12:48 AM 9/13/2002 +0000, Felix Lee wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>It is a leased circuit. It can be bursted up to 500K at day time. But
>the file copying cannot only occupy half of the bandwidth.

Without more details, it is difficult to determine what the issue might
be - similar to the question/discussion posted by Blaz Zupan recently.

- is there another link/circuit somewhere else in the end to end path
that is a bottleneck that would cause either TCP or the application
to throttle back the transfer to 220kb/s?

- was the TCP window of your system holding the transfer rate to a lower
value because of a long delay? See here for some hints for
understanding these issues (although 220 kb/s is really quite low,
there are also some pretty poor TCP implementations still lingering
around out there)
http://www.psc.edu/networking/perf_tune.html

- looking at the switching devices in the path (routers, FR switches, ATM
switches, ethernet switches) - is there some device somewhere that
is tossing packets? Is it configured to do so or is it seeing some
errors in the packets and hence throwing them away?

I hope this provides some hints but again it is difficult to diagnose further
without more information about the network topology and environment.

dave

Re: [nsp] cannot burst the line [ In reply to ]
If you have a link that has high latency and low loss, there are
things you can do to your endpoints to make them more fully
utilize the path. The Internet2 people think about this a lot.
But your best reference for tweaks may be something like:

http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/

-jim warner
UC Santa Cruz
Re: [nsp] cannot burst the line [ In reply to ]
Used to run into similar issues like this back in the day. Quite frequently.

A very simple way to test some of these issues is to run 2-3 concurent file
transfers.

If one transfer does 220Kb/s, do two transfers fill the pipe to 400+Kb/s?
If it does, then you know its not the network in the middle thats limiting
you.

-D

Darrel Lewis

Re: [nsp] cannot burst the line [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 12:48:03AM +0000, Felix Lee wrote:

> It is a leased circuit. It can be bursted up to 500K at day time. But the
> file copying cannot only occupy half of the bandwidth.

So you are saying that if you transfer other data while the file copy is in
progress, the total utilization of the link can go up to 500K, but you
cannot make the transfer go faster? If so, then the problem is with the
systems or networks on either end of the file transfer, not with the
circuit.

--
- mdz
RE: [nsp] cannot burst the line [ In reply to ]
DMT,

Along the way, there is one Frame-relay connection, is there any concern?

FL

Re: [nsp] cannot burst the line [ In reply to ]
Dear all,

The case has temporary been solved.
Along the file transfer path, there are two sites connected with two frame
relay circuits for load-balancing. We have found the bottle-neck is on
these two circuit. Finally, the traffic can be burst after putting back the
route-cache, but they are no longer in load-balancing.

Please advise if there is any better solution?

Thanks

FL

RE: [nsp] cannot burst the line [ In reply to ]
Felix, how would the traffic burst up to 400kbps during the day
then, and not during the night?

To load balance across the two circuits, you'd want to switch
per-packet, process switched or with CEF for minimal processor hit (on both
ends of the circuit).

Rick Cheung
NPI IT Wan Team, CCNP