ip ospf network point-to-point
atm pvc 13 0 205 aal5snap 2048 2048 32
!

Birsen Ozturk
e-mail: birsenozturk@turk.net
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Re: [nsp] oam-pvc manage packet loss [ In reply to ]
add the following:

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Birsen Ozturk wrote:

> Hello
>
> For some purpose I am using "oam-pvc manage" command under the ATM subinterface. I am surprised to see that it causes packet loss. What can be the reason/solution? I will appreciate any idea.
>
> This configuration has 5% packet loss:
> !
> interface ATM8/0/0.205 point-to-point
> ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.252
> ip ospf network point-to-point
> pvc 0/205
> oam-pvc manage
> encapsulation aal5snap

ubr 2048 ! or whatever

-- Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, alex@nac.net, latency, Al Reuben --
-- Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net --
Re: [nsp] oam-pvc manage packet loss [ In reply to ]
> For some purpose I am using "oam-pvc manage" command under the ATM subinterface. I am surprised to see that it causes packet loss. What can be the reason/solution? I will appreciate any idea.

Why do you think it's the OAM configuration that causes packet loss?

> This configuration has 5% packet loss:
> !
> interface ATM8/0/0.205 point-to-point
> ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.252
> ip ospf network point-to-point
> pvc 0/205
> oam-pvc manage
> encapsulation aal5snap
> !
> When I make it this way the packet loss dissapears:
> !
> interface ATM8/0/0.205 point-to-point
> ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.252
> ip ospf network point-to-point
> atm pvc 13 0 205 aal5snap 2048 2048 32

If you really mean exactly what you have written here: Try specifying
a traffic class for the first configiuration, ie.

interface ATM8/0/0.205 point-to-point
ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.252
ip ospf network point-to-point
pvc 0/205
vbr-nrt 2048 2048 32
oam-pvc manage
encapsulation aal5snap

RE: [nsp] oam-pvc manage packet loss [ In reply to ]
If your ATM provider is anything like our ATM team
then the line:

vbr-nrt 2048 2048 32

Should read:

vbr-nrt 2000 2000 32

They take the engineering version of mega rather
than the computer one. On 34Mb/s pvc its a lot of
bandwidth that they save.

Regards,
Kevin

RE: [nsp] oam-pvc manage packet loss [ In reply to ]
> If your ATM provider is anything like our ATM team
> then the line:
>
> vbr-nrt 2048 2048 32
>
> Should read:
>
> vbr-nrt 2000 2000 32
>
> They take the engineering version of mega rather
> than the computer one. On 34Mb/s pvc its a lot of
> bandwidth that they save.

We (the ISP I work for) are our own ATM provider - we use Nortel
Passport switches for this.

I dearly wish the Cisco ATM configuration would be based on cells,
not kpbs. A lot of 53/48 misunderstandings would disappear that way.