Any thoughts?

Thanks,
-Drew

Re: IOS XR filter route from OSPF? [ In reply to ]
Drew Weaver via cisco-nsp wrote on 15/11/2023 17:43:
> Is there a way to prevent that IP address from being seen at all by the IOS XR routers?

prefix filtering is a defining feature of a policy routing protocol.
OSPF is a link-state protocol, and doesn't support the concept of having
different visibility of prefixes inside the same area. If you want that
with OSPF, you'll need to divide your network into different areas,
which is messy. Probably better off using bgp for this.

Nick
Re: IOS XR filter route from OSPF? [ In reply to ]
On 11/28/23 17:02, Nick Hilliard via cisco-nsp wrote:

> prefix filtering is a defining feature of a policy routing protocol.
> OSPF is a link-state protocol, and doesn't support the concept of
> having different visibility of prefixes inside the same area.  If you
> want that with OSPF, you'll need to divide your network into different
> areas, which is messy. Probably better off using bgp for this.

Filtering in link state routing protocols is a bit of a misnomer,
technically speaking... but, you can use import/export filters on
routers with OSPF and IS-IS.

It would not necessarily limit the LSA/LSP flooding scope, but you end
up with the desired outcome (all manner of caveats apply).

All that said, the usefulness of an IGP is in its homogeneous view of
the network from and by all participating nodes. Bad things can happen
when one partitions IGP's, especially in an unintended way. As you say,
BGP is better for this kind of thing, as typically, IGP's should carry
infrastructure prefixes, and you don't really want to filter those as
they provide basic router-to-router connectivity.

Mark.
Re: IOS XR filter route from OSPF? [ In reply to ]
Can you point me towards a hint on how you implement import/export filters in OSPF on IOS XR?

Are you referring to 'distribute lists'?

Another thing that is a bit quirky from my standpoint is why when the remote router gets knocked offline BFD on the OSPF process doesn't kill the route immediately.

It seems like it takes 15-20 seconds for the route to be removed entirely from OSPF from when the transport goes down.

Thanks,
-Drew

cisco-nsp mailing list cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__puck.nether.net_mailman_listinfo_cisco-2Dnsp&d=DwIGaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=OPufM5oSy-PFpzfoijO_w76wskMALE1o4LtA3tMGmuw&m=vULDC6NcfEryzxgZJwBX01MI1hvcl6imhD3JeJk-APbysS6EeiyW2iYo-iNe2hyv&s=bxKox8AZsSqTO0SucoYYO20srO8SW3Ewq1Ip_709ASQ&e=
archive at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__puck.nether.net_pipermail_cisco-2Dnsp_&d=DwIGaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=OPufM5oSy-PFpzfoijO_w76wskMALE1o4LtA3tMGmuw&m=vULDC6NcfEryzxgZJwBX01MI1hvcl6imhD3JeJk-APbysS6EeiyW2iYo-iNe2hyv&s=5zW-HHWMmy0AUPIFDaod5TRgutJC7tKZzMTyflG8bS0&e=
Re: IOS XR filter route from OSPF? [ In reply to ]
Are you running BFD on the link as well?