happening.

Thanks,

Hank
Re: ASR1009x and 10G thruput [ In reply to ]
> We recently upgraded our network from ASR1004s to ASR1009xs.
>
> We are encountering thruput limits on 10G interfaces and were
> wondering whether others have seen that as well.
>
> Hard limits seems to be 2.4G or 4G and we are not able to reach line
> rate of 10G. Have tried iperf which hits the wall as well.

We had a client recently who couldn't get more than around 2.5 Gbps
through their ASR1k. Turned out they were missing a required
"performance upgrade" license. Could that be your problem?

Re: ASR1009x and 10G thruput [ In reply to ]
Hey,

> We recently upgraded our network from ASR1004s to ASR1009xs.
>
> We are encountering thruput limits on 10G interfaces and were wondering
> whether others have seen that as well.

> We have a Cisco TAC case open now for 2 weeks but nothing has progressed
> so I was wondering whether anyone here has a clue how this can be
> happening.

No experience on ASR1009-X specifically, but you might receive better
quality help if you included a bit more information.

These might help:
show platform hardware throughput level
show platform hardware qfp active datapath utilization summary
show licence all

--
++ytti
Re: ASR1009x and 10G thruput [ In reply to ]
These might help:
show platform hardware throughput level
show platform hardware qfp active datapath utilization summary
show licence all

teg#show platform hardware throughput level
% Error: This show command is not valid for this platform

teg#show platform hardware qfp active datapath util sum
CPP 0: 5 secs 1 min 5 min 60
min
Input: Total (pps) 543476 544684 573825
533016
(bps) 4911542560 5016852208 5362394800
5005726008
Output: Total (pps) 545074 546360 575557
534621
(bps) 4958218040 5064381056 5410221208
5046090760
Processing: Load (pct) 4 3 3
3

teg#show license all
Smart Licensing Status
======================

Smart Licensing is ENABLED

Registration:
Smart Account: IUCC MACHBA
Virtual Account: DEFAULT
Export-Controlled Functionality: ALLOWED
Initial Registration: SUCCEEDED on Mar 30 02:51:01 2021 UTC
Last Renewal Attempt: None
Next Renewal Attempt: Sep 26 02:51:00 2021 UTC
Registration Expires: Mar 30 02:45:57 2022 UTC

License Authorization:
Last Communication Attempt: SUCCEEDED on Apr 29 03:42:44 2021 UTC
Next Communication Attempt: May 29 03:42:43 2021 UTC
Communication Deadline: Jul 28 03:37:42 2021 UTC

License Conversion:
Automatic Conversion Enabled: False

Export Authorization Key:
Features Authorized:
<none>

Utility:

Data Privacy:
Sending Hostname: yes
Callhome hostname privacy: DISABLED
Smart Licensing hostname privacy: DISABLED
Version privacy: DISABLED

Transport:
Type: Callhome

License Usage
==============

ASR_1000_AdvEnterprise (ASR_1000_AdvEnterprise):
Count: 1
Version: 1.0
Export status: NOT RESTRICTED

ASR_1000_ipsec (ASR_1000_ipsec):
Count: 1
Version: 1.0
Export status: NOT RESTRICTED

Product Information
===================
UDI: PID:ASR1009-X,SN:FXS24020275

Agent Version
=============
Smart Agent for Licensing: 4.8.14_rel/75

Reservation Info
Re: ASR1009x and 10G thruput [ In reply to ]
When we collected the packet traces on interface TenGigabitEthernet0/1/7
and noticed drops with Taildrops with Feature QoS as can be seen below.
The
problem is there is no QoS on the interface.

teg#show platform packet-trace summary

Pkt Input Output State Reason

0 Te0/1/4 Te0/1/7 DROP 23
(TailDrop)

1 Te0/1/4 Te0/1/7 DROP 23
(TailDrop)

2 Te0/1/4 Te0/1/7 DROP 23
(TailDrop)

3 Te0/1/4 Te0/1/7 DROP 23
(TailDrop)

What feature in IOS-XE can possibly cause Taildrops?

Thanks,
Hank
Re: ASR1009x and 10G thruput [ In reply to ]
I'm assuming the egress port te0/1/7 is not simply full (including
microbursts), because I guess we wouldn't be here if it was.

Have you walked through QFP packet drop decks?

Can you review if you may be software switching, instead of QFP.

show platform hardware qfp active infrastructure punt statistics
interface name te0/1/4
show platform hardware qfp active infrastructure punt statistics
interface name te0/1/7
show platform hardware qfp active infrastructure punt statistics type per-cause

I would expect to see 'transmitted punt packets' as 0,

Unfortunately I only have ASR1001-X so it doesn't translate 1:1 to
another QFP platform. But my first guess would be you're SW switching.

There is a good cisco live deck on troubleshooting drops on QFP
platforms, which might help your research.

On Fri, 7 May 2021 at 11:15, <hank@interall.co.il> wrote:

> When we collected the packet traces on interface TenGigabitEthernet0/1/7
> and noticed drops with Taildrops with Feature QoS as can be seen below.
> The
> problem is there is no QoS on the interface.
>
> teg#show platform packet-trace summary
>
> Pkt Input Output State Reason
>
> 0 Te0/1/4 Te0/1/7 DROP 23
> (TailDrop)
>
> 1 Te0/1/4 Te0/1/7 DROP 23
> (TailDrop)
>
> 2 Te0/1/4 Te0/1/7 DROP 23
> (TailDrop)
>
> 3 Te0/1/4 Te0/1/7 DROP 23
> (TailDrop)
>
> What feature in IOS-XE can possibly cause Taildrops?
>
> Thanks,
> Hank

++ytti
Re: ASR1009x and 10G thruput [ In reply to ]
> Can you review if you may be software switching, instead of QFP.

> show platform hardware qfp active infrastructure punt statistics
interface name te0/1/4
> show platform hardware qfp active infrastructure punt statistics
interface name te0/1/7
> show platform hardware qfp active infrastructure punt statistics type
> per-cause

After a month of nearly daily debug with Cisco TAC, including numerous
iperf and tcpdump sessions including escalation to the CATS (Core
Architecture Team), and coming to a brick wall, it was decided to swap
out the MIP100 and EPA10X10 cards. After insertion of alternate cards,
iperf jumped from 2.4G to 10G. The faulty cards are now on their back
to Cisco for diagnosis.

Thanks to all for their suggestions.

Regards,
Hank