Original delivery date was mid-September. Then pushed to October,
then pushed to November, then to Dec 15 and today we heard it has been
pushed back to Jan 6, 2021.

I am curious if others are encountering multi-month delays in delivery
of Cisco routers. If anyone has some knowledge as to what is going on
and why the very long delays that would be helpful.

Regards,
Hank

Re: Delay in delivery of new routers [ In reply to ]
No idea as to why, but we saw the same thing this summer. Purchased a
couple of switches and 2 ASR920 routers. Switches arrived in a week. The
routers took almost 3 months.

Re: Delay in delivery of new routers [ In reply to ]
Delivery delays happen in all things silicon these days.
See also the NVIDIA 30-series deliveries, AMD Zen3 and Radeon
deliveries, etc.

COVID has taken a great toll on the global supply lines.

Dumitru

Re: Delay in delivery of new routers [ In reply to ]
In August/September, I ordered several Catalyst 9300's and a few Firepower
2130's and it only took about a month to get all of it delivered.

I wonder if it depends on the make/model and also, if you go through a VAR
and if they already have access to it. I don't know.

-Aaron

Re: Delay in delivery of new routers [ In reply to ]
Quoting aaron1@gvtc.com:

We use a Cisco Gold Partner.

Re: Delay in delivery of new routers [ In reply to ]
Yes. We ordered some NCS routers back in September and the lead time was 6 weeks. Then it got pushed to December, now it's looking like late January. First it was COVID19 reasons, then we were told due to material shortages. Something similar with Juniper - 8 week lead time on MX204s.

-evt

EXTERNAL - Do not click links or open attachments from an unverified source/sender.

Re: Delay in delivery of new routers [ In reply to ]
Re: Delay in delivery of new routers [ In reply to ]
There are three forces working here, for clarity.

First is fiscal year. For us (Cisco) it's from August of
year X to July of year X+1. As you can expect, by end
of fiscal year we have a lot of orders coming in, as sales
wants to make the quota. This influences lead times, as
despite being big vendor we also have limits to what we
can produce in given time.

The other is calendar year. Some customers (public
entities in particular) tend to have budget given for
calendar year, and by end of year they usually again
are pushing a lot of smaller and bigger orders, and this
again can influence lead times.

Depending on your ordering type (direct or via
distributor) this can also change for numerous reasons
(stock availability, promotions, etc).

Last but not least - is COVID. COVID impacted whole
supply chain, and despite the fact we fared way better
than our competitors, it's still a problem. Sometimes in
very unexpected places.

I'm sorry for the experience, but work with your account
team. They heave means to try to expedite shipment if
that's for specific project/deadlines.

--
?ukasz Bromirski
CCIE R&S/SP #15929, CCDE #2012::17, PGP Key ID: 0xFD077F6A