the end of vulnerability/Security support. My assumption is by then all the
major bugs and fixes should be remedied/ fixed by then and the software
should be stable.

Last days for hardware replacement continue through the end of the service
contract. I would like to get as much investment protection as possible,
not to mention the potential of disruption of infrastructure services

thoughts? strategies?

Mike
Re: Cisco life cycle strategy [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 at 20:23, harbor235 <harbor235@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What is your replacement strategy for Cisco gear reaching EOL milestones?
>
> I prefer not to replace at the end of SW maintenance releases but prefer
> the end of vulnerability/Security support. My assumption is by then all the
> major bugs and fixes should be remedied/ fixed by then and the software
> should be stable.
>
> Last days for hardware replacement continue through the end of the service
> contract. I would like to get as much investment protection as possible,
> not to mention the potential of disruption of infrastructure services
>

> thoughts? strategies?

Hi Mike,

What you have said sounds reasonable.

I can refute on two accounts off the top of my head (it's always good
to play devil's advocate with yourself):

1. Do you have any accreditations, regulations, or compliance based
requirements that are linked to EoL dates?
2. What have you sold to your customers? I have worked on networks
which have stated in the signed contracts with the customers that a
certain level of vendor support will be maintianed.

Cheers,
James.
Re: Cisco life cycle strategy [ In reply to ]
I don't know if I fully understand why a vendor EOL's a piece of equipment
or software version. There are probably various reasons why a vendor
chooses to do this. I feel as the customer that just because a vendor
thinks something is EOL, doesn't mean I am done using it. Maybe I have a
good use for it for the foreseeable future.

Maybe this speaks to the relationship that a vendor and customer enter into
in understanding the why, how and when aspects of using their products.

Even so, I'm not sure I understand or even agree with all of it.

Hope I was on-topic for at least some of the intent of this thread :)

-Aaron

Re: Cisco life cycle strategy [ In reply to ]
On 11/20/20 07:06, aaron1@gvtc.com wrote:
> I don't know if I fully understand why a vendor EOL's a piece of equipment
> or software version. There are probably various reasons why a vendor
> chooses to do this. I feel as the customer that just because a vendor
> thinks something is EOL, doesn't mean I am done using it. Maybe I have a
> good use for it for the foreseeable future.

It just means the vendor is done with it and wants to cease all efforts
supporting/maintaining it. They'd rather you buy new stuff. The
maintenance phase is not sexy and doesn't lead to increasing profit or
shareholder value (for public companies).

~Seth