Mailing List Archive

Sanity check OSPF/BGP
Hello,

I have two sets of core routers due to a transition period from one set to the other.

I have noticed that when there is a connectivity disruption between the two sets of core routers and one upstream peering/edge router:

Oct 7 12:01:14 EDT: %OSPF-5-ADJCHG: Process 1, Nbr <removed> on TenGigabitEthernet2/1 from FULL to DOWN, Neighbor Down: BFD node down

<Two+ minutes of null routing traffic for no reason>

Oct 7 12:03:29 EDT: %BGP-5-ADJCHANGE: neighbor <removed> Down BGP Notification sent

What I expect to happen is:

The route to the peering edge router's loopback interface is withdrawn when OSPF/OSPFv3 closes.
The core router will close the BGP session when the route to the dead peering edge router is withdrawn and will begin using one of the 5 other copies of the same route that it has.

Things I have implemented to avoid this:

The peering edge router and the core routers peer with IP addresses that are only learnable via OSPF and aren't available in any other protocol. [It's not part of our IP space]

I guess I just need a sanity check regarding whether my assumption that it shouldn't be null routing traffic for 2+ minutes if one of our peering edge routers gets hit by a meteor is correct since we have 5 peering edge routers.

Thanks in advance friends,
-Drew

Re: Sanity check OSPF/BGP [ In reply to ]
08.10.2020 20:00, Drew Weaver ?????:
> Hello,
>
> I have two sets of core routers due to a transition period from one set to the other.
>
> I have noticed that when there is a connectivity disruption between the two sets of core routers and one upstream peering/edge router:
>
> Oct 7 12:01:14 EDT: %OSPF-5-ADJCHG: Process 1, Nbr <removed> on TenGigabitEthernet2/1 from FULL to DOWN, Neighbor Down: BFD node down
>
> <Two+ minutes of null routing traffic for no reason>
>
> Oct 7 12:03:29 EDT: %BGP-5-ADJCHANGE: neighbor <removed> Down BGP Notification sent
>
> What I expect to happen is:
>
> The route to the peering edge router's loopback interface is withdrawn when OSPF/OSPFv3 closes.
> The core router will close the BGP session when the route to the dead peering edge router is withdrawn and will begin using one of the 5 other copies of the same route that it has.
>
> Things I have implemented to avoid this:
>
> The peering edge router and the core routers peer with IP addresses that are only learnable via OSPF and aren't available in any other protocol. [It's not part of our IP space]
>
> I guess I just need a sanity check regarding whether my assumption that it shouldn't be null routing traffic for 2+ minutes if one of our peering edge routers gets hit by a meteor is correct since we have 5 peering edge routers.

This may depend on BGP synchronization that could be disabled by default. Did you enable it?

Re: Sanity check OSPF/BGP [ In reply to ]

Re: Sanity check OSPF/BGP [ In reply to ]
I wonder if bgp neighboring isn't timing out quickly enough for your
satisfaction and holding routes for a few minutes

Re: Sanity check OSPF/BGP [ In reply to ]
You didn't specify the platform or code version it is running. Would help
with platform specifics

Re: Sanity check OSPF/BGP [ In reply to ]
Previously, when we had this issue it was determined that it was because there was still a route to the BGP neighbor in the routing table (because the neighbor IP was part of our IP announcements and it would wait until the hold time to expire) but we got around that particular issue by using RFC1918 IPs for the neighbors and BGP Next hop address tracking took care of the rest (made it much faster, like 1-2 seconds) but it seems like in our current architecture with the new core it’s operating differently.

It’s almost like the new core routers are continuing to be seen as a path to this neighbor by the old core routers and vice versa even though OSPF went down on both of them at the same exact time.

It’s a mystery for sure.

Re: Sanity check OSPF/BGP [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, 8 October, 2020 17:08, "Drew Weaver" <drew.weaver@thenap.com> said:

> Previously, when we had this issue it was determined that it was because there was
> still a route to the BGP neighbor in the routing table (because the neighbor IP
> was part of our IP announcements and it would wait until the hold time to expire)
> but we got around that particular issue by using RFC1918 IPs for the neighbors and
> BGP Next hop address tracking took care of the rest (made it much faster, like 1-2
> seconds) but it seems like in our current architecture with the new core
> it’s operating differently.
>
> It’s almost like the new core routers are continuing to be seen as a path to
> this neighbor by the old core routers and vice versa even though OSPF went down on
> both of them at the same exact time.
>
> It’s a mystery for sure.

Back to basics - what does "show ip route <remote-loopback>" give you during that two-minute window?

Is there a default route somewhere in the network that could be flagging that remote loopback as still reachable until the BGP timers expire?

Regards,
Tim.

Re: Sanity check OSPF/BGP [ In reply to ]
Those are both good questions. I didn't catch it when it occurred but I will remove traffic from the PE router and then simulate the failure.

Thanks,

cisco-nsp mailing list cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__puck.nether.net_mailman_listinfo_cisco-2Dnsp&d=DwIGaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=OPufM5oSy-PFpzfoijO_w76wskMALE1o4LtA3tMGmuw&m=_cSub4IuCJHW5XB79UH_LPiDCfSxIPffvNUrwnxvRvY&s=Kl9GNS56uGL5HQZUmIUfahKk_TD4gtJS5tDOWHYouq4&e=
archive at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__puck.nether.net_pipermail_cisco-2Dnsp_&d=DwIGaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=OPufM5oSy-PFpzfoijO_w76wskMALE1o4LtA3tMGmuw&m=_cSub4IuCJHW5XB79UH_LPiDCfSxIPffvNUrwnxvRvY&s=015GrnASWjArHeY-MuBADAzBLm9LzWlzvETEmquqtcw&e=