Mailing List Archive

ASR9001 show bgp summary and snmp
I have an ASR9001 which is taking a long time to display results from the command ?show bgp summary?. It doesn?t seem to be every time. When I see this behavior it also see timeouts on snmp particularly on the ciscoBgp4MIB tree, which makes sense. Running ?show snmp trace slow oids? confirms this.

Has anyone experience this? There doesn?t seem to be any cpu or memory issues during times of slowness.

I?ve tried ?admin process restart ipv4_rib?, which seems to help initially but the slowness returns, or actually comes and goes.

Anything else I can try without being intrusive?

ASR 9001

IOS-XR v 5.3.3 (yeah, I know old)

8GB

Re: ASR9001 show bgp summary and snmp [ In reply to ]
On 2/Jun/20 21:00, ANEXIO Netops wrote:
> I have an ASR9001 which is taking a long time to display results from the command “show bgp summary”. It doesn’t seem to be every time. When I see this behavior it also see timeouts on snmp particularly on the ciscoBgp4MIB tree, which makes sense. Running “show snmp trace slow oids” confirms this.
>

> Has anyone experience this? There doesn’t seem to be any cpu or memory issues during times of slowness.
>

> I’ve tried “admin process restart ipv4_rib”, which seems to help initially but the slowness returns, or actually comes and goes.
>

> Anything else I can try without being intrusive?
>

> ASR 9001
>
> IOS-XR v 5.3.3 (yeah, I know old)

We've swapped out a ton of ASR9001's as they were causing a massive
amount of BGP Refresh messages to peers, spiking their CPU. It was due
to the slowness of the box on our end, as the BGP table has grown, the
number of peers has gone up and it can't keep up.

Shame, since the box, like the MX80 and MX104, has plenty of forwarding
performance left.

We've moved to the MX204.

You might be able to resolve your CPU issues, but you're just delaying
the inevitable.

Mark.
Re: ASR9001 show bgp summary and snmp [ In reply to ]
Just to follow up on this.

Upon doing some troubleshooting. I found that one of my monitoring servers was actually causing this periodic issue. It does a periodic "discovery" process. One of the steps in the discovery process makes an snmp query to cRFCfgRedundancyOperMode (OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.176.1.2.16). This query times out and seems to initiates something in the BGP Process that causes high cpu usage (25%) anywhere from 5 to 20 mins. The timeout does not happen on other routers of the same make, model, and OS version.