Mailing List Archive

ASR 920 Netflow limitations (was: Cisco 8000)
On Sun, 2019-12-15 at 19:07 +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> That's why I don't complain about the ASR920 not doing Netflow (does
> it now, I heard rumours).

The ASR920 only does a handicapped version of Netflow. It is limited to
16K flow entries, cannot sample, can only handle unicast traffic and
cannot handle more than 1 Gbps traffic. All due to "FPGA limitations",
which sounds like something the cannot be solved with newer software.

It also doesn't timestamp the flow records, something that I guess
might be solved in a future release.

Limitations are described here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr920/configuration/guide/netmgmt/16-12-1/b-fnf-xe-16-12-asr920.html#id_26881

--
Peter Rathlev

Re: ASR 920 Netflow limitations (was: Cisco 8000) [ In reply to ]
On 19/Dec/19 11:08, Peter Rathlev wrote:

> The ASR920 only does a handicapped version of Netflow. It is limited to
> 16K flow entries, cannot sample, can only handle unicast traffic and
> cannot handle more than 1 Gbps traffic. All due to "FPGA limitations",
> which sounds like something the cannot be solved with newer software.
>
> It also doesn't timestamp the flow records, something that I guess
> might be solved in a future release.

To be honest, this doesn't concern me at all re: this platform. The
customers paying for the services delivered on this box do not
necessarily supply the level of revenue required support Netflow on it.

Mark.
Re: ASR 920 Netflow limitations (was: Cisco 8000) [ In reply to ]
On 19/Dec/19 11:08, Peter Rathlev wrote:

> The ASR920 only does a handicapped version of Netflow. It is limited to
> 16K flow entries, cannot sample, can only handle unicast traffic and
> cannot handle more than 1 Gbps traffic. All due to "FPGA limitations",
> which sounds like something the cannot be solved with newer software.
>
> It also doesn't timestamp the flow records, something that I guess
> might be solved in a future release.

To be honest, this doesn't concern me at all re: this platform. The
customers paying for the services delivered on this box do not
necessarily supply the level of revenue required to support Netflow on it.

Mark.