Mailing List Archive

Upgrading older 7600 with an ASR1000 router.. Questions..
 I know a while back I had asked about replacing an old 7606/RSP720 I
had handling routing, and I got some great info from the group that was
much appreciated.    I ended picking up an ASR1000 series router to use
in place of the 7606, or so I thought, I am wondering now if I actually
still need both.

 The 7606 handled both Layer 2 and Layer 3 functions fairly well for
us, for a great many years, and I guess I just got very used to this
fact.  The one thing that always worked really well was that we had a
bunch of Ethernet multi-point links from providers like Zayo and Comcast
that interconnected a bunch of our different locations, as they were L2,
I simply setup a tag that ran to a location and off it went.   Most of
the remote locations are all 4500 series switches, so using L2 trunks
made this just work.   So on the 7606, I had trunks to the various
providers, as well as local trunks to some of the other switches in the
racks,  my transit links, and a few clients.

 So enter the ASR1000 and I thought great, this is a simple change as I
should just be able to copy most of my 7600 configs across into the ASR
and life will be good.   The I went to setup a trunked port to bring the
existing equipment into the new ASR.   Surprise, unlike the old 7600
there is no turning a port in the ASR into a switchport, or not that I
can find, so it looks very much like it's an L3 device for the most
part.   Well that sure blows up all the vlan interfaces/trunks that were
in the 7600 that will not transfer into the ASR.

 I am wondering if I need to keep the old 7606 in service to handle the
L2 trunking terminations and pasthroughs, and just setup sub-interfaces
on the ASR to handle any of the needed L3's connections that need to do
routing via the ASR, like all of our transit and peering links?

 I actually have a couple L2 trunks, where some of the VLAN's are L3
connections that I picked up on a VlanXX interface locally, but at the
same time I also  have other L2 Vlan's that needed to come in one port,
and then head back out another port to a different device.  I have
googled around a bit, but heck if I see anyway to do this mixed
environment on the ASR, where on my old 7600 it just worked, and has
worked well for a great many years.   Heck the main reason I am ditching
the old 7606 workhorse is that as we all know carrying full routing
tables to multiple providers, well it's getting very long in the tooth
without cutting out some routes.

 I am sure some here have had to deal with something like this at some
point, so I hope someone can toss me some suggestions or insight on the
best way to handle this, or do I just delegate the new ASR as just a BGP
router, and still pass it all back through the old 7600 for now.

Thanks as always for any input on how to approach this task..

---
Howard Leadmon
PBW Communications, LLC
http://www.pbwcomm.com

Re: Upgrading older 7600 with an ASR1000 router.. Questions.. [ In reply to ]
sorry, couldn't resist...
https://blog.router-switch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Cisco-7600-router-Like-a-switch.jpg

Re: Upgrading older 7600 with an ASR1000 router.. Questions.. [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 08:28:18PM -0500, Howard Leadmon wrote:

> ??So enter the ASR1000 and I thought great, this is a simple change as I
> should just be able to copy most of my 7600 configs across into the ASR
> and life will be good.???? The I went to setup a trunked port to bring the
> existing equipment into the new ASR.???? Surprise, unlike the old 7600
> there is no turning a port in the ASR into a switchport, or not that I
> can find, so it looks very much like it's an L3 device for the most
> part.???? Well that sure blows up all the vlan interfaces/trunks that were
> in the 7600 that will not transfer into the ASR.

Starting with the "real" (real as in... SR/Router BU) product side of 7600
(that will be ES and ES+ cards; Trident/EZchip NP I believe? mounted on top
of typical 6500 DFC architecture) and onward, you now have to use Ethernet
service instances to define layer-2 services on a port.

So ASR1K follows the same configuration syntax that was introduced with
7600 ES cards, if I recall correctly.

As an example, let say you have a Te0/0/1 going to an L2 service provider as
an NNI interface. Vlan 10 is layer-3 interface for IP routed connection
terminating locally on the router for a customer DIA connection; and Vlan 11
is a layer-2 vlan you're pointing to the customer for a Layer-2 extension
that goes out via another port (lets call it GigabitEthernet0/0/3).
You would configure the services like this:

!
interface Te0/0/1
description NNI to SP
mtu 9216
service instance 11 ethernet
description (L2) vlan11 for 1Gbps to Customer B layer-2 extension
encapsulation dot1q 11
rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric
service-policy output shape-1g
bridge-domain 11
!
!
interface Te0/0/1.10
description (L3) for 100Mbps DIA to Customer A
encapsulation dot1q 10
ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.252
ip mtu 1500
service-policy output shape-100m
!
interface Gi0/0/3
description (L2) vlan11 UNI for Customer B layer-2 extension
mtu 9216
service instance 1 ethernet
encapsulation untagged
bridge-domain 11
!
!! optional: if you are providing pseudo-wire style service and do not want
!! to learn MACs on the layer-2 extension customer (bridge-domain 11):
bridge-domain 11
no mac learning
!

Note that on newer IOS XE platforms, instead of using bridge-domain w/ MAC
learning disabled, you can use proper L2 vpn xconnect contexts, like this,
which will naturally stitch two interfaces together as a cross connect:

!
l2vpn xconnect context bd11_customer_B
interwork vlan
member Te0/0/1 service-instance 11
member Gi0/0/3 service-instance 1
!
!! and you'd no longer need to define 'bridge-domain' commands

For more information, refer to
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr1000/configuration/guide/chassis/ce-xe-3s-asr1000-book/ce-trunk-efp.html
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/cether/configuration/xe-3s/ce-xe-3s-book/ce-ether-vc-infra-xe.html
or Google search "ASR 1000 EFP"

Hope this helps,
James
Re: Upgrading older 7600 with an ASR1000 router.. Questions.. [ In reply to ]
You are going to awaken Gert from his slumber with this heresy :-)...

At any rate, you are looking for the EVC/EFP configuration context,
which is what will work on IOS XE/ASR1000.

Mark.

Re: Upgrading older 7600 with an ASR1000 router.. Questions.. [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 09:04:33AM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> You are going to awaken Gert from his slumber with this heresy :-)...

"Not liking ASR1000" is not heresy :-)

(And 7600s are spawn of evil anyway. Yay 6500!)

sorry for the noise,

gert

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de