Mailing List Archive

Nexus 7k with F2e line cards and egress queuing
I am hoping some of you Cisco Nexus veterans out there could shed some
light on this issue or provide some insight if this has been encountered
before.

Has anyone had egress VQ Congestion issues on the Nexus 7k using F2e line
cards causing input discards? There has been intentional influx of traffic
over the past few months to these units (Primarily VoIP traffic) IE: SBCs
and such. These SBCs are mostly 1G interfaces with a 10G uplink to the
core router. At some point of traffic shift the switch interfaces facing
the SBC accrue egress VQ congestion and input discards start dropping
packets into the switches from the core router uplinks.

We have opened a Cisco TAC ticket and they go through the whole thing about
the Nexus design and dropping packets on ingress if the destination port is
congestion, etc... and I get all that. They also say going from a 10G
uplink to a 1G downlink is not appropriate however those downstream devices
are not capable of 10G. They amount of traffic influx isn't that much
(your talking 20-30M max of VoIP). We have removed Cisco FabricPath from
all VDCs and even upgraded our code from 6.2.16 to 6.2.20a on the SUP-2E
supervisors.

I understand the N7K-F248XP-23E/25E have 288KB/Port and 256KB/SOC and I
would think these would be more than sufficient. I know the F3248XP-23/25
have 295KB/Port 512KB/SOC however I can't see the need to drop 7x the
amount for line cards that should be able to handle this traffic?

We have recently taken the approach of moving the 1G SBCs down to a N5596
VPC stack linked via 20G port-channel (per 5596) from the parent 7ks as I
understand the 5596 have different egress queue structures and maybe more
suited to handle this type of application?.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Re: Nexus 7k with F2e line cards and egress queuing [ In reply to ]
Hi Curtis,

Looks like we are on the same boat. We have similar experience with
traffic stepping down from F3e 100G ports to 10G F2e, and also in
parallel from F2e 10G to F2e 1G. Current TAC case opened for about 2
months for now, I had two troubleshooting sessions with different TAC
engineers and all I received after that were either out-of-office
notifications or promises to respond to the EoD|EoW which didn't happen
as of yet.
In our case the behavior of the issue is inconsistent: only particular
traffic is getting dropped and only on the certain path. Incoming and
outgoing ports are both in port-channels, no physical errors on the
ports, only VOQ drops. Tried to re-shake port-channels with shut/no shut
links one by one with no result. Some time ago segregated 10G ports to
different port groups and it helped for some time but the problem
re-appeared eventually. We are still on 6.2.12 and the outcome of
previous case a year ago was "upgrade and reboot" but we didn't go for
it partially because of the critical role of these switches and
partially because of lack of confidence in the platform and final
result. Fortunately, we found a workaround to reroute traffic to
different path. Now it's coming to the same 10G egress ports from
another 100G port-channel although 100G are on the same linecards as
that were dropping packets.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Andrey Kostin

Curtis Piehler ????? 2019-12-14 11:17:

Re: Nexus 7k with F2e line cards and egress queuing [ In reply to ]
We've had several troubleshooting sessions with Cisco TAC with the end
result the same. Basically every tech regurgitating the design of the
Nexus platform and that you can never trust non saturated links as queues
could fill up quicker.

Their solution was: configure a port channel or add more links to the LAG.

Our environment has been running rock solid for the past 6 to 8 months.
Why all of the sudden? It makes no logical sense at all. It's not like we
have an influx of 10G of traffic. Your talking maybe 70M tops overall.

We ended up taking those host 1G host devices and 10G firewalls and putting
them on a donwstream N5596 connected via a 20G port channel to the parent
7k.

I see no reason why we would need to drop hundreds of K on M3 line cards
for existing line cards that should be able to handle this.

Re: Nexus 7k with F2e line cards and egress queuing [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 14 Dec 2019 at 16:18, Curtis Piehler <cpiehler2@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone had egress VQ Congestion issues on the Nexus 7k using F2e line
> cards causing input discards? There has been intentional influx of traffic
> over the past few months to these units (Primarily VoIP traffic) IE: SBCs
> and such. These SBCs are mostly 1G interfaces with a 10G uplink to the
> core router. At some point of traffic shift the switch interfaces facing
> the SBC accrue egress VQ congestion and input discards start dropping
> packets into the switches from the core router uplinks.
>
> We have opened a Cisco TAC ticket and they go through the whole thing about
> the Nexus design and dropping packets on ingress if the destination port is
> congestion, etc... and I get all that. They also say going from a 10G
> uplink to a 1G downlink is not appropriate however those downstream devices
> are not capable of 10G. They amount of traffic influx isn't that much
> (your talking 20-30M max of VoIP). We have removed Cisco FabricPath from
> all VDCs and even upgraded our code from 6.2.16 to 6.2.20a on the SUP-2E
> supervisors.
>
> I understand the N7K-F248XP-23E/25E have 288KB/Port and 256KB/SOC and I
> would think these would be more than sufficient. I know the F3248XP-23/25
> have 295KB/Port 512KB/SOC however I can't see the need to drop 7x the
> amount for line cards that should be able to handle this traffic?

Hi Curtis,

I haven't touched Nexus 7Ks in a few years and only worked with F2e
cards, no others, so I'm no Nexus expert...

However, even at low traffic volumes it is possible to fill the egress
interface buffers and experience packet loss. Seeing as you have voice
traffic flying around does this mean you also use QoS (even if just
default settings)?

Assuming the media streams are in an LLQ coming over the 10G link into
the 7K, with the egress link as 1G with a 288KB per port as you say;
that's about 0.2ms at 10Gbps or about 2ms at 1Gbps.

If you have some signalling traffic into your core router (someone is
setting up a new call for example) and at the same time some RTP
traffic comes into the core router from somewhere else (e.g. media
from an established call) and both of these flows are destined to the
same SBC attached to the 7k; the media traffic will be dequeued over
the 10G link towards the 7K first because it's in an LLQ, then the
signalling traffic will have been buffer for one or two ms, then
you'll have a short burst of signalling traffic be dequeued over the
10G link to the 7K at a rate of 10Gbps, the 7K won't be able to
dequeue this traffic out of the 1G link towards the SBC as fast as it
comes in from the core router.

The volume of traffic doesn't need to be anywhere near 1Gbps, as long
as it's greater than 288KBs of traffic it will be coming into the 7K
quicker than it can dequeue it towards the SBC (so, if the burst from
core router to 7K last for longer than 0.2ms at 10Gbps it will exceed
the 2ms buffer on your 1Gbps port). If possible, run a packet capture
on the 10G link and look at the traffic coming into the 7K link when
you have 1G egress congestion / 10G input discards, even if you're
seeing an average out speed of 30Mbps in a single 1 second sampling
period meaning the 10G link will be idle for 99.7% of the 1 second
sampling period, if the 10G link runs at full speed (meaning it never
idles) for 0.2ms consistently you'll have packet loss.

If you don't explicitly have QoS configured, check what your default
settings are implementing and if you can increase the per-port
buffers. It's been a while since I touched a 7K but I do recall that
the default settings were not great.

Cheers,
James.
Re: Nexus 7k with F2e line cards and egress queuing [ In reply to ]
Hi James,

All these are valid and well-known points but in my case traffic is/was
dropped very selectively, affecting only some traffic patterns.
It was traffic going from facebook cache appliance that became
completely unusable for scrolling Instagram but worked for Facebook
served from the same cache. Any other bulk traffic generator like
youtube, netflix going the same path etc wasn't affected. I spent a lot
of time analysing traffic captures taken from every port on the path and
narrowed it down to this Nexus. For the record, drops happen not in the
egress port but in VOQs. Troubleshooting it is a nightmare because it
requires manual mapping for several internal variables to track down the
queue for particular egress port. And after doing all this dull job,
providing it to TAC and receiving a confirmation from them, I hear only
silence from them for months. Fail from any PoV.

Kind regards,
Andrey Kostin

James Bensley ????? 2019-12-19 16:22: