Mailing List Archive

PRI Basi Check up
What led should light when I insert the PRI line from the Service
provider?
Re: PRI Basi Check up [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 02:48:41PM +0300, Ahmed Haroun wrote:
> What led should light when I insert the PRI line from the Service
> provider?

All the relevant ones.

(It would be a easier to give meaningful responses if you could provide
some information about the type of equipment that you're using... on
german PRI lines, the red "S2M/V2M" LED on the NTPM has to go *off*, and
usually some sort of "link" LED on the device goes on when all 4 wires
are wired correctly)

gert

//www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025 gert@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Re: PRI Basi Check up [ In reply to ]
First of all , thank you for the response Gert.
The Service provider has provided 4 wires only, and they are asking us
to connect it to our equipment, we have the Cisco 3845 with 1-PORT
Channelized E1/T1/ISDN-PRI Network Module, and 30 Port Digital Modem
Network Module.
I don't know how to connect the line, the PRI card in the Cisco router
has an RJ 45, and there is 2 leds on it.

Re: PRI Basi Check up [ In reply to ]
Ahmed,

For plugging a bare E1 into an RJ45 (actually an RJ48C), see this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/univgate/ps501/prod_configuration_guide09186a008007cacc.html#35434

RX Tip is pin 1, RX Ring is pin 2, TX Tip is pin 4 and TX Ring is pin 5.

Regards,

Aaron

---

Re: PRI Basi Check up [ In reply to ]
Thanks Aaron for the info, but can I use RJ-45?

Also I want to know how to confirm if the line is working? Any LED will
light?

Thank you.

Re: PRI Basi Check up [ In reply to ]
At 09:18 AM 4/18/2006, you wrote:
>Thanks Aaron for the info, but can I use RJ-45?

Yes, but the benefit of an RJ48X jack is that it will give you a hard
wired loop when the patch cable is removed.

>Also I want to know how to confirm if the line is working? Any LED will
>light?

You will definitely see a change. The alarm light may still be on or
yellow when the PRI has carrier detect, but the D channel is not
established. Once the D channel is up and the line is initialized,
all alarm lights should go out.

-Robert

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin

Re: PRI Basi Check up [ In reply to ]
> Thanks Aaron for the info, but can I use RJ-45?

Sure, use an "RJ-45" 8-position plug.

My distinction between "RJ45" and "RJ48C" is a somewhat pedantic one
here ... both use the same physical 8-posoition modular plug/jack; the
distinction between the two is the mapping of the line side leads to the
plug/jack positions. "RJ45" is one such mapping; "RJ48C" is another
(and is the one used for T1 lines.)
> Also I want to know how to confirm if the line is working? Any LED will
> light?

Yes, I would expect LED activity. Consult the documentation for your
particular hardware - Cisco has made quite a variety of equipment with
E1 PRI interfaces.

I would also use "show controller e1 <whatever>".

E1 Layer 1 Troubleshooting
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/116/E1_layer1.html

Regards,

Aaron

---

Re: PRI Basi Check up [ In reply to ]
Hi Aaron,
Once again I need your help , I have connected the line correctly now ,
and the carrier detect led is lit , Layer 1 and Layer 2 is active , but
cannot establish call (call rejected) and cannot also receive calls
(number is not in service) when I call from the mobile , does this mean
that this is a problem from the provider?

Re: PRI Basi Check up [ In reply to ]
Ahmed Haroun <> wrote on Monday, April 24, 2006 8:42 AM:

> Hi Aaron,
> Once again I need your help , I have connected the line correctly now
> , and the carrier detect led is lit , Layer 1 and Layer 2 is active ,
> but cannot establish call (call rejected) and cannot also receive
> calls (number is not in service) when I call from the mobile , does
> this mean that this is a problem from the provider?

the problem could be anywhere, including in your config. Can you please
send your config as well as "show isdn stat" and the output of "debug
isdn q931" when you dial out or receive a call? Getting "call rejected"
upon dial-out could be a problem at the remote end not accepting the
call. What is the remote end? And if you call the router from your
mobile, it could be a wrong config regarding handling of voice calls.

oli