Mailing List Archive

"show modem" output
Hello,

We have a Cisco AS5300, IOS 12.1(5)T19, modem firmware
mica-modem-pw.2.9.5.0.bin, that is used to receive calls.

1) The output of command "show modem" shows some bad modems; even a hard
reset of the server did not solve the problem. Does that mean that the
modems need replacement?

2) Other modems are showing the following:

Avg Hold Inc calls Out calls Busied Failed No
Succ

Mdm Time Succ Fail Succ Fail Out Dial Answer
Pct.

1/16 00:16:40 182 21 0 0 0 0 1
90%

* 1/17 00:18:54 175 14 0 0 0 0 2
93%

* 1/18 00:17:58 176 21 0 0 0 0 3
89%

1/19 00:23:40 153 19 0 0 0 0 2
89%

I wonder for example for 1/16, there are 182 success calls and 21 failed,
out of which 1 is no answer.

- What could the reasons for the remaining 20 failed connections be?

- What are the common reasons for "No Answer"?

Thanks for any ideas...

Clara
Re: "show modem" output [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Clara Hatem wrote:

> 1) The output of command "show modem" shows some bad modems; even a hard
> reset of the server did not solve the problem. Does that mean that the
> modems need replacement?

Clara

I have seen instancesi n the past (on my 5200s) that I use to receive
calls that reflashing the modem firmware can help fix a "bad" modem. You
may want to give that a try and see if it helps (possibly both problems).

Good luck
Sam

--
Sam Morris, Owner
Loganet Internet Service
RE: "show modem" output [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Josh Duffek wrote:

> If you reload the box, that is the equivalent of "flashing" them. Might
> want to give this a read:
> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/108/mica-hw-ts-17882.html

Josh

I had (2) 5248s that would come on and show many of the modems with a B in
the left margin (if I remember right...it's been a long time).
power-cycling them didn't fix that. re-uploading the modem code did.

Perhaps the code had gotten corrupt on the server...who knows. But it
worked for me. :)

RE: "show modem" output [ In reply to ]
If you reload the box, that is the equivalent of "flashing" them. Might
want to give this a read:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/108/mica-hw-ts-17882.html

I would try reseating them on the carrier card. Also move them around
to see if the problem follows the mica cards.

Kinda sounds like you have bad modems...but could be a few other things
I guess.

josh duffek network engineer
consultantjd16 at ridemetro.org

RE: "show modem" output [ In reply to ]
Interesting. You don't have those boxes in production anymore do you?
This modem recovery link might also help Clara's problem*:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/76/modem-recovery.html

*if it isn't hw.

Thanks,

josh duffek network engineer
consultantjd16 at ridemetro.org

Re: "show modem" output [ In reply to ]
Sam [sam@logan1.loganet.net] wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Josh Duffek wrote:
>
> > If you reload the box, that is the equivalent of "flashing" them. Might
> > want to give this a read:
> > http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/108/mica-hw-ts-17882.html
>

> Josh
>
> I had (2) 5248s that would come on and show many of the modems with a B in
> the left margin (if I remember right...it's been a long time).
> power-cycling them didn't fix that. re-uploading the modem code did.

These were Microcom modems or MICA modems? Microcom modems had flash
on the modem so we didn't upload the code when the box booted. But
MICA modems don't have flash and their code is uploaded when the box
boots. At least that is what I remember...

Dennis

Re: "show modem" output [ In reply to ]
Clara Hatem wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have a Cisco AS5300, IOS 12.1(5)T19, modem firmware
> mica-modem-pw.2.9.5.0.bin, that is used to receive calls.

[ ... ]

> 2) Other modems are showing the following:
>
> Avg Hold Inc calls Out calls Busied Failed No Succ
>
> Mdm Time Succ Fail Succ Fail Out Dial Answer Pct.
>
> 1/16 00:16:40 182 21 0 0 0 0 1 90%
>
> * 1/17 00:18:54 175 14 0 0 0 0 2 93%
>
> * 1/18 00:17:58 176 21 0 0 0 0 3 89%
>
> 1/19 00:23:40 153 19 0 0 0 0 2 89%
>
> I wonder for example for 1/16, there are 182 success calls and 21
> failed, out of which 1 is no answer.
>
> - What could the reasons for the remaining 20 failed connections be?
>
> - What are the common reasons for “No Answer”?

When an incoming call is switched to a modem, if the
call should clear before the modem goes offhook (begins
training), then this will be counted as a "no answer"
(which is a subset of "fail" I believe. Normally you
will have a window of maybe 1 second between the modem
getting the call and going offhook, but normally it is
rare that an originate modem will choose to go onhook
at that point - so normally you would see on the order
of 0.1% no answers. Your no answers seem to be a bit high
... one common reason for this is sloppy CAS (T1 RBS
or especially R2) where the transition in the DS0 between
call setup (i.e. inband tone) and talk path is somewhat
messed up.

As far as the 10% or whatever of calls that fail to train ...
it is normal to have something on the order of 4 to 10%
of modem calls not train ... due to noise in circuits,
channel impairments, erratic-behaving client modems, and
the general cussedness of things. 10% is on the high side
(although is not out of line for R2 deployments.)

Here are some articles that may be of interest:

Overview of General Modem and NAS Line Quality
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_tech_note09186a008009478d.shtml

Troubleshooting Modems
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094eb9.shtml

Cheers,