Mailing List Archive

Problems with digital modems (NM-xDM)
Hi!

I have a question regarding to digital modems.
Is it possible to mix different modem hardware versions on
one Network Module ?

We have a network module with different versions on it. The digital
modems functioned properly for aproximately 2 days, after that
one after another was marked as bad. A normal reload was not enough
to re-enable the modems. We had to power off the router in order
to re-enable them.

I'am not sure, whether the problems with this modems relate to the
different hardware versions on the network module.
Perhaps there is only a hardware failure.

We have on other access-router with digital modems no problems.
The difference to this network module is that the digital modem
hardware version on the other one are all the same.

Could this be the reason ?
Any hints ?

regards,
Ahmad
--
Ahmad Cheikh-Moussa
NetUSE AG
Re: Problems with digital modems (NM-xDM) [ In reply to ]
Ahmad,

I assume that you are referring to either MICA HMMs or DMMs
(6- or 12-port modules) of different hardware revs on the
same carrier card/NM or to NextPort CSMV/6 modules of
different revs on the same DFC.

In the case of MICA, this would definitely be supported
as HMMs and DMMs are FRUs (field replaceable units.)
CSMV/6es are not FRUs on NextPort DFCs however so
I would think it would be quite odd to see different revs
within the same DFC.

Regards,

Aaron

---

Re: Problems with digital modems (NM-xDM) [ In reply to ]
Hi Aaron,

thanks for your reply. Your assumption is correct. I used
the mica modems.

Yet another question
What happens, if one module fails ?
Could one module influence the other modules so that they
fails too ?

Regards,
Ahmad

Re: Problems with digital modems (NM-xDM) [ In reply to ]
Hi Ahmad,

> thanks for your reply. Your assumption is correct. I used
> the mica modems.
>
> Yet another question
> What happens, if one module fails ?
> Could one module influence the other modules so that they
> fails too ?

It is possible that one module could affect others ...
since they are on a shared bus, if one is misbeving,
it could cause others to crash.

Aaron

---