Mailing List Archive

Microsoft Point-to-Point Compression (MPPC)
Hi All,
What's the general feeling about enabling software compression (inparticular
mppc) at the NAS/LNS end for the benefit of 56k PSTN & 64k/128K ISDN dial-up
clients?

Is it something that is worth enabling provided that the NAS/LNS has
sufficent CPU available? ....Will having it enabled cause connectivity
issues for dial-in clients who don't support the protocol and can anyone
comment on what the performance is like in an environment whereby PPP
sessions are tunneled through from the LAC/NAS to an LNS using L2TP?

Quote from Cisco.com
------------------------
Compression is performed in software and may significantly affect system
performance. We recommend that you disable compression if CPU load exceeds
65 percent. To display the CPU load, use the show process cpu EXEC command.

Both end-point devices must be configured to use the same compression method
(predictor, Stacker or MPPC).

If the majority of your traffic is already compressed files, we recommend
that you not use compression. If the files are already compressed, the
additional processing time spent in attempting unsuccessfully to compress
them again will slow system performance.
-------------------------
End quote.

Much appreciated, Thank you.

Regards,
Chris Atkinson.
Re: Microsoft Point-to-Point Compression (MPPC) [ In reply to ]
At 10:34 PM 3/21/2004, Chris Atkinson wrote:
>Hi All,
>What's the general feeling about enabling software compression (inparticular
>mppc) at the NAS/LNS end for the benefit of 56k PSTN & 64k/128K ISDN dial-up
>clients?

If you have the CPU to spare, it works GREAT! Customers definitely notice
the improvement in speed. Our workaround is a 7206 non-VXR with NPE225 and
SA-COMP/4 cards coupled with an AS800.

>Is it something that is worth enabling provided that the NAS/LNS has
>sufficent CPU available? ....Will having it enabled cause connectivity
>issues for dial-in clients who don't support the protocol and can anyone
>comment on what the performance is like in an environment whereby PPP
>sessions are tunneled through from the LAC/NAS to an LNS using L2TP?

You MIGHT be able to get away with a VXR with an NPE-G1 and an AS5800, but
I don't think any of the AS5200/5300/5350/5400/etc have enough CPU to
support all channels running compression. We saw unacceptable performance
with an AS5800 with compression enabled with an NPE300. We have never
tested compression on our AS5300s.

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Good will, like a good name, is got by many actions, and lost by one." -
Francis Jeffrey
Re: Microsoft Point-to-Point Compression (MPPC) [ In reply to ]
Hi Robert,
And how do your subscribers find performance with already compressed content
like ZIP, JPEG & MPEG files ... any complaints about reduced performance
there?

Re: Microsoft Point-to-Point Compression (MPPC) [ In reply to ]
At 03:26 AM 3/22/2004, Chris Atkinson wrote:
>Hi Robert,
>And how do your subscribers find performance with already compressed content
>like ZIP, JPEG & MPEG files ... any complaints about reduced performance
>there?

None at all. Overall, performance is significantly improved.