Mailing List Archive

Dot1q cos marking of pppoe packets
Hi!

Has anyone of you ever tried dot1q cos marking of cisco 7301 router
originated pppoe packets?

A PPPOE client is connected somewhere behind gig0/0.10. The connection
is established (ViXX up). Everything fine - ping ok! Now I send some
packets (not origined by the PPPOE server Cisco 7301, but routet by the
Cisco).

[... bba-group, ...]

policy-map OUTPUT
class-default
set cos 5

interface GigabitEthernet0/0.10
encapsulation dot1Q 10
service-policy output OUTPUT
pppoe enable group global
end

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

[... virtual-template, ...]

One should think, that _all_ packets sent by int gig0/0.10 get marked
with COS 5 but:

# sh policy-map interface

GigabitEthernet0/0.10

Service-policy output: OUTPUT

Class-map: class-default (match-any)
5 packets, 630 bytes
5 minute offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps
Match: any
QoS Set
cos 5
Packets marked 0

How can this happen? The packets match (get counted) but not marked with
COS 5 (this is no false-counter, I checked this with a network sniffer).

When using the interface as simple IP interface, not using pppoe COS
marking works fine. And both counters correspond.

Is this the default behavior?

Any ideas?

Best regards

Christoph Loibl

--
SILVER SERVER \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\ \\ \
Ing Christoph Loibl <cl@sil.at> Senior Network Engineer
Re: Dot1q cos marking of pppoe packets [ In reply to ]
Have you tried applying the policy to the vtemplate which is defined in the bba-group?

--
Tassos

Re: Dot1q cos marking of pppoe packets [ In reply to ]
Hi Tassos!

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou wrote:
> Have you tried applying the policy to the vtemplate which is defined in
> the bba-group?

Yes. This results in

c7301(config-if)#service-policy output OUTPUT
Process 'set' action associated with class-map class-default failed:
Set cos supported only with IEEE 802.1Q/ISL interfaces

This makes sense to me. I even tried to set a qos-group within the
service-policy in in the virtual template, and then match at the dot1q
interface service-policy. This gives the same result... Packets were
correctly matched (counter increases), but cos does not get set (second
counter does not increase).

Regards

Christoph

Re: Dot1q cos marking of pppoe packets [ In reply to ]
I guess you need newer IOS.

7200 & 12.3(18) doesn't work.
7200 & 12.2(28)SB5 works fine ;)

--