Mailing List Archive

RE: [c-nsp] Static ip address info
Mark Tohill <> wrote on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 12:20 PM:

> I sent this originally to BBA List. Hope I'm not off-topic.

Cc'ing bba list

> We have DSL users coming in on 7204VXR's over L2TP VPDN acquiring
> static IP's, both gateways and small subnets (/29's for example).
>
> We suspect a lot of our users are not using their /29's and are
> NAT'ing etc. on their gateway addresses.
>
> Is there any relatively easy way of finding out this sort of
> information?
>
> Ideas spring to mind are ACL's, gleaning info from CEF (???), ip
> accounting....
>
> Has anyone ever come up against same problem or has an idea how this
> might work?

What are your objectives? To find out if your product is actually used
the way it is intended to, or if you might as well offer fixed /32
addresses only since most of the customers use NAT anyway?

CEF installs a /29 prefix and doesn't care or tell which addresses out
of this network has been used. IP accounting is a way, but it is
expensive. I would investigate Netflow (possibly sampled) and work from
there..

oli

RE: [c-nsp] Static ip address info [ In reply to ]
Thanks Oli for that.

Does anyone know the 'minimal' for Netflow re: monitoring applications
etc.?

Mark

RE: [c-nsp] Static ip address info [ In reply to ]
I think this may not work in my setup.

When I enable netflow on my L2TP from Telco, I am only seeing L2TP
source and destination tunnel IP's, fair enough.

I take it I would have to set NetFlow to monitor traffic bound for
subnets to be monitored, as opposed to sourced from. i.e ingress on my
GigE port?

Had a look into sampling etc to reduce stats collection. Came up with:

!
!
int atm ATM1/0.101
ip flow ingress
!
flow-sampler-map netflow-subnet-usage-test-sampler-map
mode random one-out-of 1000

!
class-map match-any netflow-subnet-usage-test-class-map
match access-group 180
!
policy-map netflow-subnet-usage-test-policy-map
class netflow-subnet-usage-test-class-map
sampler netflow-subnet-usage-test-sampler-map
!
netflow-sampler netflow-subnet-usage-test-sampler-map
!
interface ATM1/0.101
service-policy input netflow-subnet-usage-test-policy-map
!
access-list 180 permit ip X.X.X.X 0.0.0.255 any
access-list 180 permit ip Y.Y.Y.Y 0.0.0.255 any
<and remainder of subnets to be monitored>

I still have no idea as to what to do with these stats if they are
collected on router?

Any 'viewers' out there ( I know, not likely)

Thanks
Mark