--
Charles Sprickman
spork@inch.com
RE: RedBack comments [ In reply to ]
Charles,

I'm a bit partial considering I work for Cisco but the 7206 with NPE-G1
should at the very minimum be at par with the capabilities of a SMS 1800
(is that what you are looking at?) if not surpass it. The 7206 can do
the following which the low-end Redbacks can't:

RA-MPLS
IP QoS
Per-user firewall
16k active sessions
Service Selection
ATM based Dynamic Bandwidth Selection

I'm sure I missed some more stuff. You mentioned that the RB looks more
interesting, what specifically are you referring to? I have to admit,
sometimes Cisco marketing/product capability definitions aren't as good
as they should be so I can easily see how one might miss a lot of the
features Cisco has.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers,

Andy

AW: RedBack comments [ In reply to ]
hello

i wonder if any1 has a 7206VXR/NPE-G1 serving more than 10k sessions in
PRODUCTION (not the test- and/or lab-figures)
if yes, i'd be very intrested in what IOS you're using - and what
configuration/features.

btw: we were using 7206VXR/NPE-400 - no special features enabled, just doing
plain "PPP-in-L2TP-termination" and did not manage terminating more than 4k
sessions (cisco claims 8k)...

that's the reason, why we're interested in "real-life-figures" of the NPE-1
(we've reached 6k - causing around 30% cpuload - no problems so far - but as
history shows, cpuload is not rising linear compared to the number of
sessions, we really doubt being able to do 16k sessions...)

tnx & greetz,
mark

RE: RedBack comments [ In reply to ]
Mark,

I can't speak to whether anyone has 16k (or even greater than 10k)
sessions up on a production router. I think the 16k number is a
"marketing" number but the reality is that you can get 16k sessions up
and active and passing traffic on a 7206 with NPE-G1. All vendors are
guilty of giving the absolute system maximum that a platform can support
under best case scenarios. For instance, Redback quotes 8k users on the
SMS 1800 but I think you will more commonly find numbers like 4k in
production. I believe they can do 8k, but people running production
networks don't want to have their routers maxed out and on their last
leg. So in Cisco terms, what level of CPU are you willing to be happy
with? Everyone has a different answer for this and the level of CPU
that you will run at is also not just a function of the number of users,
but also any services you have enabled, routing protocols, ACLs, etc.

I hope that helps a bit.

Cheers,

Andy

Re: AW: RedBack comments [ In reply to ]
Hi

What is the avarage BW per subscriber you are seeing?
We have an NPE-G1 running arond 3K broadband sessions (~40-50Kbps per user
on avarge) with per-user-CAR (both ways)
The CPU is at around 40%

Arie