Mailing List Archive

SSL and logging support
Hi! :-)

Alvaro Lopez Ortega wrote:

>On Saturday 14 June 2003 19:00, you wrote:
>

>>> * Finish the encoder support
>>> * Finish the GZip encoder
>>> * Add a better logging support
>>> * Write down some logging handlers (syslog and direct file writting)
>>>

>>I sent you some patches to enable some not-fully-implemented logging
>>support so I'll keep working on this to get it better.
>>

> It'll be very useful in the "direct file writting" module. :-) The idea is
>to make modules for different logging systems (like the connection handlers).
>It you continue with the file logging work, we'll only have to do some
>copy&paste work in the module (first, a interface for the logging module is
>needed ;)

so these logging modules will be different than the typical cherokee
handlers, won't they?

So I'll keep working to get the cherokee_connection_log() function
better and those new functions called cherokee_accesslog(), is it ok? if
not let me know.

>>> * SSL support
>>>

>>Really interested in this issue. I like criptography and all the stuff
>>related.
>>

> Eh eh.. great!
> Your help and work will be very important in this issue. :-)

the openssl project implements a simple SSL web server (well, it's an
example not for productive enviroments) but it is a nice reference (how
you must use the functions, the parameters,...) if you want to implement
SSL support for whatever. By the way, if we link GPL code to openssl we
have to add this to the header of some files.

http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#LEGAL2

by the way, the recommendation which they suggest is not really nice,
they say:"If you develop open source software that uses OpenSSL, you may
find it useful to choose an other license than the GPL". :-(

and here the SSL server source code, nice reference:
http://cvs.openssl.org/getfile?v=1.71.4.7&f=openssl/apps/s_server.c

>>> * PHP handler
>>> * Python handler (*1)
>>>

>>hey, I'm looking forward to seeing the source code of this, I had a look
>>at the cvs but I only found a readme file, isn't it uploaded yet?
>>

> Ummmm...
> Ayoseeeeeeeee ;)
>

>>something else, which cherokee source code version should I work in?
>>

> The CVS tree. :-)

How can I download a snapshot of the CVS tree?

> I suppose, It won't have commints until July cuz the exams. :)) (but well, I
>know that Ayose is working in cherokee-python and his exams at same time ;-)

yet another multi-thread student. =:-D

cheers,
Pablo
SSL and logging support [ In reply to ]

On Saturday 14 June 2003 21:58, pablo neira wrote:

> > It'll be very useful in the "direct file writting" module. :-) The idea
> > is to make modules for different logging systems (like the connection
> > handlers). It you continue with the file logging work, we'll only have to
> > do some copy&paste work in the module (first, a interface for the logging
> > module is needed ;)
>
> so these logging modules will be different than the typical cherokee
> handlers, won't they?
>
> So I'll keep working to get the cherokee_connection_log() function
> better and those new functions called cherokee_accesslog(), is it ok? if
> not let me know.

The idea is make a un modular logging system, in the same way as the handlers
or the encoders one. :-) For example, the module handler_file is a
connection handler that serve file contents; the logger_syslog will be the
logger module that work with syslog. :)

> >>hey, I'm looking forward to seeing the source code of this, I had a look
> >>at the cvs but I only found a readme file, isn't it uploaded yet?
> >
> > Ummmm...
> > Ayoseeeeeeeee ;)
> >
> >>something else, which cherokee source code version should I work in?
> >
> > The CVS tree. :-)
>
> How can I download a snapshot of the CVS tree?

It should work :)

$ export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@alobbs.com:/cherokee
$ cvs login
[ENTER]
$ cvs co cherokee

BTW, It should be documented in the web site ':)

> > I suppose, It won't have commints until July cuz the exams. :)) (but
> > well, I know that Ayose is working in cherokee-python and his exams at
> > same time ;-)
>
> yet another multi-thread student. =:-D

Yeah.. well, only three subjects to finish.
At this moment I'm more worker than student. :-)

Pablo, where are you studing? (just curiosity :)

- --
Greetings, alo.
http://www.alobbs.com
SSL and logging support [ In reply to ]
Hi guys,

Alvaro Lopez Ortega wrote:

>On Saturday 14 June 2003 21:58, pablo neira wrote:
>

>>> It'll be very useful in the "direct file writting" module. :-) The idea
>>>is to make modules for different logging systems (like the connection
>>>handlers). It you continue with the file logging work, we'll only have to
>>>do some copy&paste work in the module (first, a interface for the logging
>>>module is needed ;)
>>>

>>so these logging modules will be different than the typical cherokee
>>handlers, won't they?
>>
>>So I'll keep working to get the cherokee_connection_log() function
>>better and those new functions called cherokee_accesslog(), is it ok? if
>>not let me know.
>>

> The idea is make a un modular logging system, in the same way as the handlers
>or the encoders one. :-) For example, the module handler_file is a
>connection handler that serve file contents; the logger_syslog will be the
>logger module that work with syslog. :)

I got it, so is there any skeleton of these logging modules? is it
anything waiting to be done? anyway, as you said, if I don't use that
skeleton it will be a copy&paste work, won't it?

>>> Ummmm...
>>> Ayoseeeeeeeee ;)

>>> The CVS tree. :-)
>>>

>>How can I download a snapshot of the CVS tree?
>>

> It should work :)
>
>$ export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@alobbs.com:/cherokee
>$ cvs login
>[ENTER]
>$ cvs co cherokee
>
> BTW, It should be documented in the web site ':)

thanks :-)

>>> I suppose, It won't have commints until July cuz the exams. :)) (but
>>>well, I know that Ayose is working in cherokee-python and his exams at
>>>same time ;-)
>>>

>>yet another multi-thread student. =:-D
>>

> Yeah.. well, only three subjects to finish.

me 8 subject to finish + final project (I'll work on HA and loadbalacing
with linux, I'll do this in france).

> At this moment I'm more worker than student. :-)
>
> Pablo, where are you studing? (just curiosity :)

computer science at the university of Seville and <advert>work for
optima technologies www.optimat.com we develop a firewall based on
linux, similar to stonegate but cheaper</advert>, member of sugus
(sugus.eii.us.es) and I'll be in Lyon for 6 months next semester
(erasmus). and you all?

Pablo
SSL and logging support [ In reply to ]