Mailing List Archive

Cherokee development roadmap
Cherokee development roadmap [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 02:47:34PM +0200, Alvaro Lopez Ortega wrote:

> I'm thinking about write down the Cherokee development roadmap.
> It can help us to make a better development.. and I hope it'll remember us
> that we should not add unneeded, but sometimes cute, features (like de nn
> handler ;-)
>
> A "release/new features" seems to be enought for the first version of the
> development roadmap.
>
> What do you think about it? Ideas? :-)

Yeah, it is important, I think.

But, a (maybe) better system could be your bugzilla :-). That is, file
bugs with Severity: enhancement, and, sometimes, copy the list to a file
a put it in the web :-)

For example,

http://bugs.alobbs.com/buglist.cgi?bug_severity=enhancement

--
Ayose Cazorla Le?n
Debian GNU/Linux - setepo
Cherokee development roadmap [ In reply to ]
Hi everyone,

I think it's a nice idea, you could write a first version of the roadmap, I
suppose you'll need to do some changes before it gets its shape but this is
not so important.

err... I'll keep reporting bug and testing cherokee whether what I really
want is helping you to develop, so give me some work and after it's been
done you could even drop it if you don't like it, don't care about
dropping my work.

Nothing left to say so... take care guys.

Pablo :-)

Cherokee development roadmap [ In reply to ]

On Saturday 14 June 2003 15:18, pablo@eurodev.net wrote:

Hi Pablo :-)

> I think it's a nice idea, you could write a first version of the roadmap, I
> suppose you'll need to do some changes before it gets its shape but this is
> not so important.

Great, then lets go.. :))
We can start to work on it, and in a week it could be finished and published.

> err... I'll keep reporting bug and testing cherokee whether what I really
> want is helping you to develop, so give me some work and after it's been
> done you could even drop it if you don't like it, don't care about
> dropping my work.

Pablo, you're welcome!! :D
There're lots of things to do in Cherokee. :-)

This is the actual list of to do things that I have in my mind (my two cents
for the roadmap :)

* Finish the encoder support
* Finish the GZip encoder
* Add a better logging support
* Write down some logging handlers (syslog and direct file writting)
* SSL support
* PHP handler
* Python handler (*1)
* Threads support (*2)
* Authentication: http://bugs.alobbs.com/7
* Bandwidth throttle: http://bugs.alobbs.com/6
* HostnameLookups: http://bugs.alobbs.com/5
* Content negociation: http://bugs.alobbs.com/3
* more?

(*1) - Ayose is working on it. :-) There's already a "cherokee-python" module
in the CVS.

(*2) - We didn't speak about this issue before, but it's a very important item
in the list. It'll add SMP and multi-threading support to Cherokee.. at this
moment, Cherokee just only runs in a single procesor (thread) but it should
change to get advantage of the new micros.

> Nothing left to say so... take care guys.
>
> Pablo :-)
>
> > On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 02:47:34PM +0200, Alvaro Lopez Ortega wrote:
> >> I'm thinking about write down the Cherokee development roadmap.
> >> It can help us to make a better development.. and I hope it'll remember
> >> us
> >> that we should not add unneeded, but sometimes cute, features (like de
> >> nn
> >> handler ;-)
> >>
> >> A "release/new features" seems to be enought for the first version of
> >> the
> >> development roadmap.
> >>
> >> What do you think about it? Ideas? :-)
> >
> > Yeah, it is important, I think.
> >
> > But, a (maybe) better system could be your bugzilla :-). That is, file
> > bugs with Severity: enhancement, and, sometimes, copy the list to a file
> > a put it in the web :-)
> >
> > For example,
> >
> > http://bugs.alobbs.com/buglist.cgi?bug_severity=enhancement

- --
Greetings, alo.
http://www.alobbs.com
Cherokee development roadmap [ In reply to ]
Cherokee development roadmap [ In reply to ]
Cherokee development roadmap [ In reply to ]
I hate mozilla mail, let me fix this. :-((

Pablo

Cherokee development roadmap [ In reply to ]
Hi everyone,

sorry for my last email... well here we go,

Alvaro Lopez Ortega wrote:

>On Saturday 14 June 2003 15:18, pablo@eurodev.net wrote:
>
> Hi Pablo :-)
>

>>I think it's a nice idea, you could write a first version of the roadmap, I
>>suppose you'll need to do some changes before it gets its shape but this is
>>not so important.
>>

> Great, then lets go.. :))
> We can start to work on it, and in a week it could be finished and published.
>

>>err... I'll keep reporting bug and testing cherokee whether what I really
>>want is helping you to develop, so give me some work and after it's been
>>done you could even drop it if you don't like it, don't care about
>>dropping my work.
>>

> Pablo, you're welcome!! :D

thanks :-)), I'm really happy to join.

> There're lots of things to do in Cherokee. :-)
>
> This is the actual list of to do things that I have in my mind (my two cents
>for the roadmap :)
>
> * Finish the encoder support
> * Finish the GZip encoder
> * Add a better logging support
> * Write down some logging handlers (syslog and direct file writting)

I sent you some patches to enable some not-fully-implemented logging
support so I'll keep working on this to get it better.

> * SSL support

Really interested in this issue. I like criptography and all the stuff
related.

> * PHP handler
> * Python handler (*1)

hey, I'm looking forward to seeing the source code of this, I had a look
at the cvs but I only found a readme file, isn't it uploaded yet?

> * Threads support (*2)

I develop a multithread proxy (not free software), so I know a little
about this matter, I was even thinking about programming this feature
for quite some quite. I have to make sure that functions used are
thread-safe (don't use global vars, if two thread want to write in the
same sttructure at the same time, syncronization...).

> * Authentication: http://bugs.alobbs.com/7
> * Bandwidth throttle: http://bugs.alobbs.com/6
> * HostnameLookups: http://bugs.alobbs.com/5
> * Content negociation: http://bugs.alobbs.com/3
> * more?
>
>(*1) - Ayose is working on it. :-) There's already a "cherokee-python" module
>in the CVS.
>
>(*2) - We didn't speak about this issue before, but it's a very important item
>in the list. It'll add SMP and multi-threading support to Cherokee.. at this
>moment, Cherokee just only runs in a single procesor (thread) but it should
>change to get advantage of the new micros.

absoultely, I agree with you, quite important.

something else, which cherokee source code version should I work in?

cheers,
Pablo

Cherokee development roadmap [ In reply to ]
Cherokee development roadmap [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 07:00:51PM +0200, pablo neira wrote:
> [...]
>
> > * Python handler (*1)
> >
> hey, I'm looking forward to seeing the source code of this, I had a look
> at the cvs but I only found a readme file, isn't it uploaded yet?

Yeah... only an useless README :-)

I'm sorry, but I have to study until 27th June, so I can't code a lot
just now :-(. At this moment, I'm reading the mod_python documentation &
code, and other programs which uses python, and "trying" to define the
architecture of the module.

I will start to work seriously in it at the end of this month :)

--
Ayose Cazorla Le?n
Debian GNU/Linux - setepo