Mailing List Archive

A joined community
I tried to figure if I could do anything to fix "www.cherokee-project.com/community.html". But as far as I can see, this is something I cannot fix because it requires knowledge about the web server and ssh access.

Then I thought about all the different places where you could discuss anything related to Cherokee.

That is:

- The Google Group (https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/cherokee-http)
- Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/cherokee.project)
- Google+ (https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/109478817835447552345)
- Google Code (http://code.google.com/p/cherokee)
- Twitter (https://twitter.com/webserver)

And there are several bug tracker I know of:

- Google Code Issues (http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues)
- Github Issues (https://github.com/cherokee/webserver/issues)
- Debian Bugtracker (http://bugs.debian.org/cherokee)

Then there is also:

- http://planet.cherokee-project.com/

And of course the broken Community page:

- Cherokee Community (http://www.cherokee-project.com/community.html)

-- REGARDING COMMUNITY ACCESS--

*** I believe we can create a better public appearance if we concentrate our energy on one place. ***

If we focus on few things, rather than occupying a place everywhere possible, not only do we get a higher level of attention, but we also have to invest less energy.

The positive thing is, that almost anybody has easy access to the community without registering. But also that not anybody will read any
contribution (might it be a feedback, bug report, anything) because
someone might not be part of the platform it's been contributed to
(Mailing list <-> Facebook <-> Google for example).

Being on Facebook, Google+ (As a page/group and community) and Twitter means that we must communicate everything in all channels at once. If you neglect one channel, its users will think the Project is neglected (which is not true, of course).

Then there is planet.cherokee-project.com. In my eyes this should be closed. Recent posts are non-english and there has been nothing new for almost one year. I also think that it's better to integrate a blog into the main page if it's about Cherokee.

Now the
mailing list is obviously the place to be if you need information or
have something to discuss. My personal opinion is, that mailing lists server their purpose well, but they are so 1980's ;) I believe many people don't want to use it because they don't know the technology. Now there was a community page on "www.project-cherokee.com" that is not working anymore. My guess is, that this has been a forum.

-- REGARDING BUG TRACKERS --

There are three bug trackers, I don't know if thats that now too much. The on Github should be the one, but as far as I can see it's a very basic one. The one on Google Code is good, but I find it wierd because Cherokee has nothing to do with Google. Doesn't that also cause a lot more effort? That's from a non-developers point of view, so it might be inaccurate. I can't really do a constructive critic, it's just an observation.

-- IDEAS --

Let's be more talkative towards the public. Anything you want to share should be shared in any channel, or shut down neglected channels (Twitter sucks anyway IMO ;)). Here I offer my help: I am no marketing person, but I can offer to distribute any words you send me throughout FB/G+/T in the form of a small article.

While it's easier for someone to migrate from a mailing list to a forum, than vice versa, I think it could help the Project become more popular if there would be ONE forum where all the discussion go. That forum has to be advertised everywhere (FB/G+/Groups/Mailinglist/T, etc). Here I offer my help, too. What I can do is setting up a forum on my webserver so the Community-Part of cherokee-project.com can be reinstated. As long as there is no heavy usage (100+ members constantly posting), I think my server can handle that extra load.

Shut down planet.cherokee-project.com for the sake of not appearing inactive.

-- IDEAS FROM A NON-PROGRAMMERS VIEW --

Reintroduce version numbers. Just for the sake of looking active on the website. After a new version is announced, pack the sources and upload them on the website.

-- OR ELSE --

If you have any other ideas I can contribute, let me know. I don't have much time, but I like to help a bit.

- Stadtpirat11

Re: A joined community [ In reply to ]
On 12/09/12 15:03, - - wrote:
> I tried to figure if I could do anything to fix
> "www.cherokee-project.com/community.html". But as far as I can see,
> this is something I cannot fix because it requires knowledge about
> the web server and ssh access.

The problem is the current CTK code, and the true fix is a complete
migration from the current webserver to github pages. Which I didn't
have the time for yet. There is already a repository you can clone, so
anyone that actually wants to work on it can.

Stefan

Re: A joined community [ In reply to ]
Hey,

Fisrt of all, you probably forgot about moveout from "old" svn to github. That caused that the second "github" bugtracker was created. The third one (debian) is debian only created by their community, for packaging purposes mostly. Because of that also google code profile exists.

I personally was always against github bugtracker because google's one is better I think, and we already have "history" there.

Community page was more like page with links and informations about cherokee, not the forum.

Also for me mailing list is way better than forum. Easier to communicate, easier to follow. I'm definitely against forum, "for general purposes". Maybe for "starters".

What about G+ commuinity, FB page, Twitter profile? I think I still don't get that "social things" so I can't answer... For me they are useless.

About web page: there is need to move from current web page to github pages (Stefan any progress?). I should have somewhere "static" version of cherokee page, with "working" community sub page. The best would be to have 100% "fancy syntax" github page. That will allow everyone intetested to contribute (yeah... You need to have github account). There was a discussion about that and we agreed that it will be the best, because of possible contributors.

Again the team is **very** limited (especially in free time) and that's the biggest problem. (I really wish that I would have time for cherokee again...)

I think cherokee will be again on correct way straight, but... Day has only 24h that's currently biggest problem I'm afraid.. Stefan is doing awesome work with maintaining cherokee core (keep rocking Stefan!)

That are my 3 words :)

Best regars,
Jedrzej Nowak.

Re: A joined community [ In reply to ]
If you find that static page, please send it to me. I could try to create a github page.

------------------------------

Re: A joined community [ In reply to ]
OK, sorry, I will step back from this. After having a look in Github Pages: It looks too complicated to me.

Will that Github page work with Jekyll, or will it work with HTML?

Either way, it's too complicated for my taste. I don't want to learn a new language (Jekyll) and I don't want to write HTML, I prefer WYSIWYG for easy editing after page setup. That is not possible with Github. If I see something I wanna rewrite, I like to edit it on-the-fly.

Sorry

Stadtpirat.

Re: A joined community [ In reply to ]

> The one on Google Code is good, but I find it wierd because Cherokee has
> nothing to do with Google. Doesn't that also cause a lot more effort?
> That's from a non-developers point of view, so it might be inaccurate. I
> can't really do a constructive critic, it's just an observation.

Google Code is Google's code hosting service (much like Github) - It's
where Cherokee used to be hosted, I believe. There's a lot more historical
data in the Google Code tracker so it might be worth just turning off the
Github one?

As for the mailing list vs Google Groups vs the forum, they all end up
going to the same place. The Google Group and the forum (
http://cherokee-web-server-general.1049476.n5.nabble.com/) are both just
web interfaces to the mailing list.

Re: A joined community [ In reply to ]
On 12/10/12 13:49, Daniel Lo Nigro wrote:
> The one on Google Code is good, but I find it wierd because Cherokee
> has nothing to do with Google. Doesn't that also cause a lot more
> effort? That's from a non-developers point of view, so it might be
> inaccurate. I can't really do a constructive critic, it's just an
> observation.
>
> Google Code is Google's code hosting service (much like Github) - It's
> where Cherokee used to be hosted, I believe. There's a lot more
> historical data in the Google Code tracker so it might be worth just
> turning off the Github one?

The best thing from the Github one is direct endorsing participation,
which doesn't happen on the Google code one... so turning it off doesn't
seem to be a very good idea.

Stefan
Re: A joined community [ In reply to ]
I agree with Stefan, and everything is in one place. Personally, I believe that is important.

It also has several features that Google can't provide. You can link to branches, commits and lines of code in a neat way. You can also close issues by committing. For full explanation see: https://github.com/blog/831-issues-2-0-the-next-generation (Especially part "Commits + Issues").

If you set them up, you can also label issues: https://github.com/github/training.github.com/issues

There are scripts that migrates "Google Code Issues" to github, with small restrictions. Then Google Code Issues can be turned off :)

- Stadtpirat

Re: A joined community [ In reply to ]
On 12/16/12 23:09, - - wrote:
> There are scripts that migrates "Google Code Issues" to github, with
> small restrictions. Then Google Code Issues can be turned off :)

I know that pigmej was looking into the migration before. If you can
find such script... that would be an interesting thing to do.

Stefan
Re: A joined community [ In reply to ]
Stefan, maybe we can try:
https://github.com/arthur-debert/google-code-issues-migrator ?