Mailing List Archive

Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date
Hello fellow Cherokee users,

In October I asked the question "Is Cherokee Project still active?" and I want to follow up that topic.

Honestly I did not understand Stefan Koninks post - gramatically. No offense, just not sure if my english is too bad, or vice versa ;) But my impression is that the people who are actively involved into Cherokee are against package distributions. That might be okay from a developers point of view. But you will prevent Cherokee from being well know as most people who would be interested into Cherokee are not that much into updating Gits and compiling and stuff. I mean, come on. Cherokee has an easy to use web interface that the big monster and commonly known web server Apache does not have. (I hate Apache for it's overly complicated configuration). I still think an "aptitudeinstall cherokee" must deliver up-to-date software! (And no, I cannot do it myself, that argument is invalid. All I can do for Cherokee is to spread the word, which I am doing since I found it several years ago!)

I am running a Cherokee server on Debian with 10 websites on it for two or three years now and its fast, easy and I love it!

The package in testing hasn't been updated for 1-2 years now and there was a lot of broken stuff I needed to fix. So I build Cherokee from git source. I NEVER wanted to do this, but feeled the need of it. The last time I compiled something was 2006 when I first got in contact with Debian. So I searched for the READMEs and found them on git. They are two years old. I followed them anyway. Sometimes old stuff is old, because it's still valid.

Today I wanted to update Cherokee, just to know how to do it. Well, I had a very interesting discussion in #debian on freenode (anonymized):
***************************************

[17:54] == Stadpirat11 has joined #debian
[17:55] -ChanServ- [#debian] Welcome to #Debian. This is a discussion channel; if you have a question about Debian GNU/Linux, ask and we will try our best to answer it. Newcomers should read the channel's guidelines by typing "/msg dpkg guidelines". Please do not paste in the channel; use #flood instead. Thank you.
[17:56] <Stadpirat11> Hi. I cloned a git repo, compiled the software and installed it using make install. now i updated my local git clone and want to update my software installation. but how? same steps like installation, or different?
[17:57] <slowmo> Stadpirat11, ohhh its a nightmare if you didnt use a packet manager
[17:58] <rockmelon> packet manager ._.
[17:58] <rockmelon> why
[17:58] <slowmo> Stadpirat11, always use the software checkinstall when deploying code which is not in the repo
[17:58] <themill> (or better yet, build a real debian package)
[17:58] <slowmo> rockmelon, because files are being scattered all over the place
[17:59] <slowmo> themill, why is that better?? That takes forever to figure out how to do
[17:59] <Stadpirat11> I followed https://github.com/cherokee/webserver/blob/master/doc/basics_installation_git.txt because I have no Idea what I am doing and there is no current package. :)
[17:59] <slowmo> Stadpirat11, then you are f***** :)
[17:59] <Stadpirat11> checkinstall? I will check that out
[17:59] <Stadpirat11> lol
[17:59] <slowmo> Stadpirat11, yeah, that will create a debian package for you so you can easily uninstall everything again at any point
[18:00] <iknowstuff> slowmo: That is *exactly* the right tool to use and it might simply be that your particular hardware is not very well supported by the kernel in squeeze. You could try the kmuto installer (/msg dpkg kmuto) which comes with a newer kernel
[18:00] <Stadpirat11> ahh
[18:00] <themill> slowmo: checkinstall doesn't work that well for things that aren't autotools based.
[18:00] <iknowstuff> !tell Stadpirat11 -about stow usage
[18:00] <slowmo> themill, thats true also....but its definitly worth the shot...and its not easy to build debian packages manually
[18:00] <rockmelon> I assume you meant package manager.
[18:01] <iknowstuff> Stadpirat11: I would recommend to use stow to manage installations to /usr/local -- It makes it much easier to keep things separate. It sounds, however, as if you didn't even install to /usr/local -- Could you tell us exactly what you've done and which software you have installed?
[18:01] <themill> slowmo: if checkinstall can do it, then dh_make can do it.
[18:01] <iknowstuff> slowmo: I just use stow and install things into /usr/local/stow/foo-bar-0.1.2/
[18:02] <Stadpirat11> iknowstuff: I followed https://github.com/cherokee/webserver/blob/master/doc/basics_installation_git.txt  - then I followed https://github.com/cherokee/webserver/blob/master/doc/basics_installation_unix.txt
[18:03] <iknowstuff> Stadpirat11: Did you adjust "--prefix=/usr" to "--prefix=/usr/local" to ensure that you install to /usr/local instead of /usr ?
[18:03] <Stadpirat11> In short. there is a "autogen.sh" script and then I did "./configure --localstatedir=/var --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --with-wwwroot=/var/www" and then "make" and finally "make install"
[18:03] <Stadpirat11> well - no ^^
[18:04] <iknowstuff> Stadpirat11: Also: Are you sure that a more commonly used webserver such as Apache and or NGINX or any of the ones packaged in Debian aren't suitable for your task?
[18:06] <Stadpirat11> I find apache a pain in the ass compared to cherokee. and I don't even want to go into nginx. The team used to maintain debian packages, but they didnt update them for quite awhile. the packaged version is broken, so I tried to follow the teams advise to get it from git :)
[18:06] <iknowstuff> Stadpirat11: Ok, please uninstall cherokee completely and make sure that you use "--prefix=/usr/local" or (even better) "--prefix=/usr/local/stow/cherokee" (read "/msg dpkg stow usage" to understand this)
[18:06] <Stadpirat11> iknowstuff, i read your message, thanks
[18:07] <iknowstuff> Stadpirat11: You should *never* install anything by hand into /usr/ -- We have /usr/local for this and you can seriously damage your system but not following this convention. I would also tell the cherokee guys to update their installation instructions as having that online is just irresponsible (I consider that a serious problem)
[18:08] <themill> you might want to use debsums to check that it hasn't overwritten files that dpkg is looking after. If it has overwritten non-managed files or left crap around on unistall, then you'll never know...
[18:08] <Stadpirat11> okay
[18:08] <Stadpirat11> phew
[18:09] <Stadpirat11> thank god i can save this discussion for later reread :D
[18:09] <Stadpirat11> thanks for your advises!
[18:09] <iknowstuff> Stadpirat11: In short: Make sure to remove the installation again (and follow ^^^^) -- Then install stow and run "mkdir -p /usr/local/stow/" -- You can then run "./autogen --prefix=/usr/local/stow/cherokee [rest of the options]) -- After installation you can "enable" it by running "cd /usr/local/stow ; stow cherokee" (which will set the correct symlinks)
[18:11] <Stadpirat11> wow, okay, thanks for all your help
[18:11] <Stadpirat11> I will do as you say ;)
[18:12] <Stadpirat11> especially "I would also tell the cherokee guys to update their installation instructions as having that online is just irresponsible"
[18:12] <iknowstuff> Stadpirat11: If, at any point in the future, you want to remove cherokee you can simply run "stow -D cherokee" and remove /usr/local/stow/cherokee ... (for example) -- That way your manual installation will *never* interfere with the package manager or other system software *and* the manual installations are separated from each other in subdirectories in /usr/local/stow)
***************************************

That discussion should prove you that:
1. people like me should not use git!
2. you should at least maintain a proper installation documentation.

As a last word I want to remind anyone reading this:
I am angry about Cherokee Project. Not for the sake of being angry, but because I love Cherokee but I just don't see it as an awesome webserver anymore. It becomes something for insiders, developers and nerds. :((((

- Stadtpirat11

Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
On 12/04/12 18:42, - - wrote:
> I am angry about Cherokee Project. Not for the sake of being angry,
> but because I love Cherokee but I just don't see it as an awesome
> webserver anymore. It becomes something for insiders, developers and
> nerds. :((((

I regret I say this probably, but there is a user friendly
distribution called "Ubuntu" it looks like "Debian", but has a lot more
users. It seems we do have up to date Cherokee packages for Ubuntu.

Stefan

Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
How can Cherokee have up-to-date packages for Ubuntu but not for Debian?
Surely the Ubuntu packages would need minimal modification to work on
Debian?

Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
Plus I wouldn't say Ubuntu has a "lot more users" - Debian is much,
*much *older
so I'd say it has many more users than Ubuntu does. Not sure if it's
changed recently but a server installation of Ubuntu used to be heavier
than a basic Debian installation.

Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
On 12/04/12 22:08, Daniel Lo Nigro wrote:
> How can Cherokee have up-to-date packages for Ubuntu but not for Debian?
> Surely the Ubuntu packages would need minimal modification to work on
> Debian?

Because no one wanted to take over the work required for Debian to
accept the packages. Including doing "backports" of patches.

Stefan

Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
+1
I think it's ridiculous to blame this on distro choice, especially since we're not talking about some exotic niche distro, but debian, "the" classical web server OS.
A webserver with a nice and shiny web interface and therefore an emphasis on ease of use has to hold up similar standards when it comes to ease of installation and setup. I see a huge discrepancy here.

PS cheers Daniel, >gibbonweb<

Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
The packages could just be in a separate repository, though (like the
Ubuntu packages - They're in a PPA). I've moved away from Cherokee but if I
get some free time I'll try out the Ubuntu packages on Debian and see if
they work well.

Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Johannes Becker <jo.becker@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1
> I think it's ridiculous to blame this on distro choice,

Well... different projects have different levels of bureaucracy that must
be satisfied before the distribution makes a piece of software available to
the general public as part of the default repository. So yes, this
situation does have at least something to do with distribution choice.

For example, Ubuntu makes it trivial to sidestep the bureaucracy by
distributing builds through Launchpad PPAs.

-Charlie
Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
Yes, but you can use custom repositories with Debian as well - PPAs aren't
a Ubuntu-specific concept.

Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
Exactly!
I'm annoyed by the "we don't have a Debian packager, therefore you should compile manually or change distros" mentality. It should be "we don't have a Debian packager, but Debian is an important distro so we should advertise the fact that we'd appreciate help wherever we can".

Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
On 12/4/2012 6:12 PM, Johannes Becker wrote:
> It should be "we don't have a Debian packager, but Debian is an important distro so we should advertise the fact that we'd appreciate help wherever we can".

Hello, I am just viewing from sidelines, trying to understand some
things about this project. It's hard to keep track of current status
regarding Debian package maintenance or general project direction,
health, etc. I spent this evening searching around. Below are listed
some observations.

14 months ago, 1.2.101 cycle starts, currently the highest release.
13 months ago Gunnar Wolf expresses an intent to stop maintenance.
8 months ago Leonel Nunez expresses an interest to take over maintenance.
6 months ago Leonel Nunez is listed as Bug owner, Gunnar Wolf still
listed as Maintainer.

2 months ago, email confusion between users and developers, seemed to
indicate a strong anti-distribution attitude among developers.
http://lists.octality.com/pipermail/cherokee/2012-October/015629.html

1 month ago, Christophe Drevet expresses an interest to assist package
maintenance. Christophe, what results from your followup with Gunnar Wolf?
http://lists.octality.com/pipermail/cherokee/2012-November/015664.html

This month, same discussion going in circles?

Please correct if I misunderstand, but I think there are some highlights
of the discussion as well as general points to consider.

0) We are all here because we see something unique and valuable in this
server project and wish it to thrive. For some (devs), this may mean it
runs stable and that's all. For others (users), it means ease of
install, so they can share the server experience with others.

1) With all due respect to the core Cherokee developers, it seems they
only care about server code, not any distribution, maintenance of old
code or any user related issues besides providing GIT read access and
server functionality on their own systems.

2) Users may not agree with this view, but we must respect the
developers' wishes. We all have limited time, and should put our energy
where it will have the best results. They feel their energy is best
spent on core code.

3) We as users are spoiled by larger projects that have separate teams
for coding, web site, distribution, documentation, support, etc. We
have no right to expect or demand all this from developers, any more
than developers have a right to demand it of us.

4) If they wanted to, the developers could choose to adopt an attitude
and use wording that invites people to help with other tasks to help
expand the user base and attract more people to use their unique
software with a goal of attracting top infrastructure and developers to
their platform.

5) Also note, with more users comes more requests for support, which may
stress developers and take time from development.

6) The project seems to lack an experienced Debian Package Maintainer
who is familiar with the process of backporting.

7) Seems developers also have an aversion releasing tarballs or even
patch level version bumps? (major.minor.patch 1.2.101) At least for
the past 14 months?

8) Example of an issue that justifies backport (1.2.101 in unstable,
1.0.8 in stable)? Outstanding security bug in Debian, seems to have
been fixed 18 months ago in Git (should be in 1.2.101)?
http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2011/06/06/13 - Security
issue found 18 months ago

http://lists.octality.com/pipermail/cherokee/2011-June/014830.html -
"Let's see what we can do", response on mailing list, nothing after,
unclear if fully fixed or partially addressed.

https://github.com/cherokee/webserver/commit/38fbdc9fb49ddae9fb92bdef34a7b2e3e499dc1f
- most recent CSRF related GitHub commit comment, 18 months ago, (about
1 week or less from initial report). Not sure how to properly test this
and confirm the fix.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=661993 - Bug
reported in Debian 9 months ago - no package changes made

9) Anti-release attitude gives impression that project is dead or at
best case, fatally stagnated. May hinders efforts to maintain any
packages for any distros.

10) Cherokee Project's Community page has been broken for months - Error
500 Internal Server Error
http://www.cherokee-project.com/community.html

11) Cherokee Project's Contributor page states a marketing intent to
spread the word to increase user base, however the developer's attitude
is completely the opposite.

12) Cherokee Project's Contributor page also goes to lengths I have
never seen for a GNU GPLv2 project, ever: the signing of a legal
document, which seems to intend to fill some perceived gaps in the GPL,
yet seems to be incompatible with the GPL. Anyways, great effort has
been set forth to ensure that people can continue to use the code
legally. Again, this seems at odds with the developer's attitude.

Anyways, I am interested to learn how to do some Debian package
maintainer tasks, but I would need a mentor, to show me each step of the
process. I have some programming and sysadmin experience with Debian,
but it's been a long time. I can set up a VirtualBox with Debian as a
test environment. My focus would be to learn to backport, and push out
a .deb package that has stable, secure code, but also to learn how to
choose what changes to backport and what to ignore, for stable, testing,
unstable or experimental, and to improve the test cases to ensure all
major bugs can be properly tested. However, before I invest such energy
to learn, I want to be comfortable with the project, not be fighting
with users or developers. Just want to get something simple for a user
to access, without wasting energy on politics or drama.

Leif

Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
+1
This is the best summary for the Cherokee project current status I have
seen in months.

Having tested, pen-tested, stress-tested, feature-tested almost all known
web servers since 90's, I must said that Cherokee product overall quality
is amazing. Anyway my feeling is the developers team have failed on
correctly addressing their user's -customers- requirements. No matter how
convinced you are on the right way of building a project: if you don't
follow the market -users/customers- requirements, you are on the wrong way
to succeed. That happens every day with amazing projects and Cherokee is
not an exception.

Listen to the community. Let the community drive the project. Delegate...

Regards,

On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 06:48:10 +0100, Leif W <warp9pnt9@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Anyways, I am interested to learn how to do some Debian package
> maintainer tasks, but I would need a mentor, to show me each step of the
> process. I have some programming and sysadmin experience with Debian,
> but it's been a long time. I can set up a VirtualBox with Debian as a
> test environment. My focus would be to learn to backport, and push out
> a .deb package that has stable, secure code, but also to learn how to
> choose what changes to backport and what to ignore, for stable, testing,
> unstable or experimental, and to improve the test cases to ensure all
> major bugs can be properly tested. However, before I invest such energy
> to learn, I want to be comfortable with the project, not be fighting
> with users or developers. Just want to get something simple for a user
> to access, without wasting energy on politics or drama.

---------------------

Hugo Vázquez Caramés

"El trabajo que nunca se empieza es el que tarda más en finalizarse" (J.
R. R. Tolkien)

"La mayoría de las personas gastan más tiempo y energías en hablar de los
problemas que en afrontarlos" (Henry Ford)

"Lo imposible es el fantasma de los tímidos y el refugio de los cobardes"
(N. Bonaparte)

Este e-mail es confidencial y destinado únicamente a la persona a la cual
va dirigido. Si Ud. no es el destinatario al cual va dirigido este e-mail
o lo recibe por error, queda advertido que cualquier uso,
difusión,impresión o copia de este mensaje está estrictamente prohibido.
Si lo ha recibido por error, por favor, notifíquelo al remitente del
mensaje

individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient,be advised that you have received this email in error and that
any use,dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please
notify it to sender.

Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 5 Dec 2012, Hugo Vazquez Carames wrote:

> Listen to the community. Let the community drive the project. Delegate...

Guys seriously? Delegate? Please read the mailinglist.
In the time you all are writing this massive e-mail based on your own
preconceptions, you could have already made the Debian package.

In Dutch we have a very famous saying: The best helmsmen stand ashore.
Which closely relate to: The best players are in the back seat.

I don't want to read a letter of these so called "discussions" and
"backstabbing" on this mailinglist anymore until any of you take an effort
in actually solving a problem (read: create the debian package).

If the reply of you will be: "Geez, Stefan, the documentation of Debian is
so poorly written that a non-developer mortal user is unable to create a
Debian package theirselves." Then my reply is:

apt-get install libtool automake gcc git
git clone https://github.com/cherokee/webserver.git
cd webserver
git submodule init
git submodule update
./autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/cherokee
make
make install

Your Cherokee webserver is now nicely installed outside your distro's
reach. And can be started with via rc.local using:

/opt/cherokee/sbin/cherokee -d

...and if the above is all too difficult for users of the "greatest
webserver platform" why not place a demand for a recent git based Cherokee
package at the Debian bugtracker, like any user of a different
distribution would do?

Stefan
Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
In my opinion that is exactly the attitude that does not help *any* project.

Stefan,
we are NOT backstabbing. I, for my part, am writing and criticizeing
because I find Cherokee a project with a lot of potential. And mostly
because I am NOT able to help you in a technical way. I just can't so
what's the point of just throwing in our faces that we talk hot air.
That's not true.

We are trying to point out how customers think
and this discussion revealed a lot of good points and arguments. Like
that with a greater popularity the supporters (devs, designers, writers,
marketing people) will grow. But it won't grow if interested people
think the project is dead. And that is most probably happening right
now. As pointed out, there were no updates visible to end users. The
community site is broken. The installation guide is plain wrong.

Yes,
the best helmsmen stand ashore. But that means there must be someone in
front, pushing Cherokee. But I have the feeling *you* backstab anyone
who tries to constructively critize the project.

Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
Thank you for that post. I agree completely.

Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
I strongly agree. In my specific case, I can't help so much in the
technical field. I can help recommending the product to my customers (big
companies, banks, ...) as long I see a team in front of the project,
pushing it, listening to users with an open-minded approach. Criticize a
project is a must. And the dev team should be prepared to hear things they
don't like. A defensive thinking slows down the evolution, as if end-users
will not feel comfortable giving their true opinions they will simply stop
giving feedback. And feedback -even "negative" feedback-, is usually
required for a project to grow up and drive it with a customer oriented
path in mind.

Regards,

--
---------------------

Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
On 12/05/12 10:16, - - wrote:
> We are trying to point out how customers think
> and this discussion revealed a lot of good points and arguments.

Lets fly this in a different way.

"If you are not paying for it, you’re not the customer; you’re the
product being sold."

What is it worth to you as customer to get 12 monthly binary releases
for the Debian distribution in the next year? A number in hard cash
would be nice.

We seem to have a volunteer that wants to start making the Debian
packages after a new debian release cycle and you are willing to pay for
early availability. That sounds like a superb insentive to start with it
directly, right?

Stefan

Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
You can't stop shooting at me, can you? Okay, I got it. That's the way you are. I won't answer your question, because a simple number cannot - in any way - describe my thoghts about it in under 30 seconds. That's the time frame worth to my response of your bashing.

Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
On 12/05/12 14:44, - - wrote:
> You can't stop shooting at me, can you? Okay, I got it.

It is not about my thoughts about you. Some people are complaining about
things they can in fact fix theirselfs, and suggest (personally I read
"blame") us to go and fix that for them. After this, people start
trolling because we don't release packages: "thus the project appears
dead". While we are fixing bugs as fast as we can, and are actively
answering support questions.

A volunteer has stepped forward and said he wanted to do Debian
packaging after the next release window of Debian, still people keep on
telling how bad we are. The compainers claim to be:

1) Not technical
3) Not willing to pay for a speed up in the proces
2) Not willing to put any other effort in this except complaining

What is your primary motivation for you willing to use the product that
we make available? If it is such a nice product, it would be trivial to
convince a developer at your distribution of choice to make an instant
package or ask him how to do that. How is it possible that nobody at the
Debian development community cares about Cherokee, while the total
number of complains of Debian users increase every month? Is it just we
don't put a release number on our git repo? Given the above 3 statements
I could say: "Debian users are 1) and 2) plus 3)", I am not saying that,
I am just showing to you how this appears to me as an active Gentoo user.

Secondary: is it so difficult to execute those 9 commands? Because it
seems to get to an optimisation of 9 actions to 1 action, which is
hilarious.

My primary concern is getting the unacceptable deficiencies in
cherokee-admin fixed for a better user experience. Anything else is ad-hoc.

Stefan
Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
Hi Jeremy,

On 12/05/12 16:02, Jeremy Morton wrote:
> 1) You come across to me as very aggressive and argumentative, not
> really wanting to come to solutions with people. You probably don't
> intend it, but maybe you should look at changing your tone of voice
> because that's how you sound.

After Gunar has posted that he wanted to stop the Debian maintainership
nobody has steped forward for a long time, while we were actively
looking for volunteers. Given we are distribution independent webserver,
we must document a proper way to compile and install Cherokee. I think
(even for Debian) we meet these criteria. Please do reply if you
disagree with what I wrote here, possibly with an intermediate solution
I oversaw.

Regarding tone-of-voice, I think the best reference is this:
<http://alvinng.xanga.com/416327188/item/>

My intention is not to come across as aggressive, my intention is to be
as clear (and transparent) as possible and show my complete reasoning.

> 2) You're saying that turning 9 (rather technical) steps into 1 step is
> "hilarious"ly trivial. But surely Cherokee is all about making things
> easier, that's why there's a user-friendly admin interface. Why does
> this philosophy suddenly disappear when it comes to installing Cherokee?

An emerge cherokee, an apt-get install cherokee, a yum install cherokee
it is indeed one line. But given virtually any open source package is
compiled using a standard autoconf/automake pattern this is something
that any user of open source tools will know - or is provided in a readme.

Obviously we can do it better, sure. But our primary opposition is: why
should an upstream project provide distribution specific packages?

Take a peak at <http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi#apache24> the only
binaries you see there are Netware and Win32.

What is your suggestion here?

Stefan
Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the reply.

On 12/05/12 16:37, Jeremy Morton wrote:
> I'm a bit confused as my messages don't seem to be getting posted to the
> google group and yet you see them. Anyway...

Saw the same thing, I think this is because someone in this thread
started to post from Google or something. I'm sure this post will end up
there too by the list.octality.com mailinglist mirror.

> Yes I suspected that it was... but I'm just saying you might want to
> re-read what you write to make sure it doesn't sound overly aggressive.
> That can discourage people from participating which I'm sure you don't want.

I'll try to look into this more carefully, while I do spend a lot of
time in writing messages, I may need to do it in a more 'friendlyer' tone.

> Yes, but installing a package is still way easier than compilation. You
> can get compilation errors.

Compilation errors are show stoppers, we should not have those. If we do
it should be taken care of as soon as possible. The question here might
also be, can we expect from a user that a compilation error is reported
on github? Some users do (such as the ffmpeg case), others don't and we
lost them as potential user.

> And updating is done automatically with
> packages - does the user want to keep recompiling for every new version?

As efficiency freak I would say yes. Everyone should benefit from
-march=native -O2 CFLAGS, so hardware consumes less power for the same
performance. That was what this project was once about, speed. Since I
am also compiling it for MIPS and ARM (Raspberry Pi) it really doesn't
take that long ;)

Regarding updates, obviously it could take a while if a user in Linux
From Scratch style should manually upgrade all their packages opposed to
a distribution wide upgrade were nobody has a clue what happened or what
changed (which by itself raises new questions). There is no general
solution for this problem.

> Well, to make it easier for the users of those distributions? It's a
> courtesy.

As courtesy it done deal, given enough manpower. (and yes this is a
virtuous circle)

Stefan
Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
On 05/12/2012 15:53, Stefan de Konink wrote:
>> And updating is done automatically with
>> packages - does the user want to keep recompiling for every new version?
>
> As efficiency freak I would say yes. Everyone should benefit from
> -march=native -O2 CFLAGS, so hardware consumes less power for the same
> performance. That was what this project was once about, speed. Since I
> am also compiling it for MIPS and ARM (Raspberry Pi) it really doesn't
> take that long ;)
>
> Regarding updates, obviously it could take a while if a user in Linux
>> From Scratch style should manually upgrade all their packages opposed to
> a distribution wide upgrade were nobody has a clue what happened or what
> changed (which by itself raises new questions). There is no general
> solution for this problem.

Well, there is a solution - use packages. That's what every sane person
says. The vast majority of people, myself included, don't have time to
keep recompiling everything. I'll take a small performance hit for this
convenience any day, and I'm sure almost all users would. You may be
the exception that proves the rule. :-)

--
Best regards,
Jeremy Morton (Jez)
Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
On 12/05/12 17:05, Jeremy Morton wrote:
> Well, there is a solution - use packages. That's what every sane person
> says. The vast majority of people, myself included, don't have time to
> keep recompiling everything. I'll take a small performance hit for this
> convenience any day, and I'm sure almost all users would. You may be
> the exception that proves the rule. :-)

I guess every source based distribution would disagree. But this is one
point.

Do you agree that a user never sees the 'changelog'?

Stefan

Re: Installing Cherokee Webserver and keeping it up-to-date [ In reply to ]
On 05/12/2012 16:08, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> On 12/05/12 17:05, Jeremy Morton wrote:
>> Well, there is a solution - use packages. That's what every sane person
>> says. The vast majority of people, myself included, don't have time to
>> keep recompiling everything. I'll take a small performance hit for this
>> convenience any day, and I'm sure almost all users would. You may be
>> the exception that proves the rule. :-)
>
> I guess every source based distribution would disagree. But this is one
> point.
>
> Do you agree that a user never sees the 'changelog'?

What do you mean by changelog? git commit messages?

--
Best regards,
Jeremy Morton (Jez)