Mailing List Archive

Cherokee & uWSGI (Django)
Hello,

some months ago I had problem with Cherokee giving 504 timeout error
when trying to install certain PHP CMS.

For a short time tried and used lighty, but seeing it's not very
actively developed as well as status of Cherokee, tried nginx.

However, I do not really like it and prefer Cherokee's UI admin.

When noticing there is some life in the Cherokee arena and considering
we plan to (slowly) migrate our sites from PHP to Django, I wonder how
stable is the current Cherokee codebase to be used for deploying
Django apps via uWSGI?

We do not need to squeeze the last bit of performance from our
webserver and if the current code is OK, we can patiently use
Cherokee-1.2.x while waiting that Alvaro produces Cherokee-2 or how
it's going to be called.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
A self-realized man has no purpose to fulfill in the discharge
of his prescribed duties, nor has he any reason not to perform

Re: Cherokee & uWSGI (Django) [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I'm currently deploying various Python-based WSGI applications via uWSGI
and haven't had any problems with RHEL 6.2 and Cherokee 1.2.101 (latest
release version). My latest Pyramid-framework application is deployed
using uWSGI 1.2.5 with a Paste-ini configuration, Virtualenv and Buildout
and all works well. It's extremely easy to configure Cherokee (just create
a new Information Source and point to the uWSGI socket/port), and then set
this as the uWSGI handler for a behaviour.

I manage the operation of my long-running processes separately to Cherokee
(I use Supervisor), but it is possible to configure your uWSGI as an
information source that Cherokee will boot for you when first accessed. I
opted to work separately so it's easier to control the uWSGI process, but
your requirements might fit differently.

-- David

Re: Cherokee & uWSGI (Django) [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 14:59:44 +1000
David Beitey <david@davidjb.com> wrote:

> I'm currently deploying various Python-based WSGI applications via
> uWSGI and haven't had any problems with RHEL 6.2 and Cherokee 1.2.101
> (latest release version).

Great...it means there is no need to build master from the Github?

> I manage the operation of my long-running processes separately to
> Cherokee (I use Supervisor), but it is possible to configure your
> uWSGI as an information source that Cherokee will boot for you when
> first accessed.

Iirc, I used Cherokee to do that when I was playing with uWSGI in the
past.

Re-installed Cherokee on my desktop machine...now will do the same on
production server. ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
One is understood to be in full knowledge whose every endeavor
is devoid of desire for sense gratification. He is said by sages

Re: Cherokee & uWSGI (Django) [ In reply to ]
On Monday, September 17, 2012, Gour wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 14:59:44 +1000
> David Beitey <david@davidjb.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
>
> > I'm currently deploying various Python-based WSGI applications via
> > uWSGI and haven't had any problems with RHEL 6.2 and Cherokee 1.2.101
> > (latest release version).
>
> Great...it means there is no need to build master from the Github?

There's quite a few fixes and improvements in master but 1.2.101 has been
fine for me, especially in the uWSGI functionality. In my case I just
installed using the EPEL packages for RHEL.

Given the few fixes I submitted or helped submit regarding HTTP method
handling and SSL timeouts I'll be looking to use master shortly, however.

> > I manage the operation of my long-running processes separately to
> > Cherokee (I use Supervisor), but it is possible to configure your
> > uWSGI as an information source that Cherokee will boot for you when
> > first accessed.
>
> Iirc, I used Cherokee to do that when I was playing with uWSGI in the
> past.

Actually IIRC, I had experienced an issue with connection timeouts during
the period Cherokee was booting the process. The issue was where Cherokee
would restart a loading process if not yet ready upon an incoming request.
This meant that for multiple concurrent requests, Cherokee would keep
killing and restarting the process -- rather than just waiting til the
first process started. Unsure if I submitted a bug for this or if it's
still a bug in master but worth noting all the same.

-- David

--
Sent from mobile device - please excuse typos.
Re: Cherokee & uWSGI (Django) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 06:57:54 +1000
David Beitey <david@davidjb.com> wrote:

> There's quite a few fixes and improvements in master but 1.2.101 has
> been fine for me, especially in the uWSGI functionality. In my case I
> just installed using the EPEL packages for RHEL.

Thanks...I anyway have to build from the source on my
hosting...submitted two issues, one is problem with PHP wizard not being
able to find PHP-FPM settings. (I still have to manage some PHP site
until I'd be able to move to Django fully.)

> Given the few fixes I submitted or helped submit regarding HTTP
> method handling and SSL timeouts I'll be looking to use master
> shortly, however.

I built that yesterday...nice to use Cherokee again. ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
He who is satisfied with gain which comes of its own accord, who
is free from duality and does not envy, who is steady in both