Are 'you' still there?
Is there anythong (not coding) I can do about it?

Thanks!
Re: Cherokee status [ In reply to ]
Yeah, i also watch the github page and the latest activity is 2 months ago.

This project is still alive?

Im using the latest github source and applyed some own fix but if the
project is abandoned it would be bad

Thanx for the answer!

Re: Cherokee status [ In reply to ]
Hi people, I don't think the project is dead at all, probably the SPDY
design will need it's time,
as far as I remember Alvaro was working on that.

Greetings :)

Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo
http://www.nbee.es
+34 636 52 25 69
skype: ajoajoajo

Re: Cherokee status [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 20 Apr 2012, Miguel Angel wrote:

> Hi people, I don't think the project is dead at all, probably the SPDY
> design will need it's time,
> as far as I remember Alvaro was working on that.

And as you can see on github there are also forks on Github of people
working on it :) Still daily development goes on :)

Stefan
Re: Cherokee status [ In reply to ]
I wonder the same thing sometimes... I'm going to eventually move all my
sites off Apache, but don't want to move to Cherokee if it becomes
abandoned. It's a great project, I'm using it for a few sites and really
like it.

Re: Cherokee status [ In reply to ]
That's really sad. It's been a week and there's no official comment about
this.

As far as I can see, there's no daily development. Looking at github, it
seems there's been only 5 sporadic commits since February, counting all
forks/branches.

Yo'av

בתאריך 21 באפריל 2012 12:40, מאת Daniel Lo Nigro <lists@dan.cx>:

> I wonder the same thing sometimes... I'm going to eventually move all my
> sites off Apache, but don't want to move to Cherokee if it becomes
> abandoned. It's a great project, I'm using it for a few sites and really
> like it.
>

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 11:01 PM, Alvaro [Andor] <andor@pierdelacabeza.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi there!
>>
>> I've been lurking around the commits and mailing list this past three
>> months and it seems a bit... slow.
>> Last commits to dev and SPDY branches were like 3 months ago.
>>
>> Are 'you' still there?
>> Is there anythong (not coding) I can do about it?
>>
>> Thanks!

Yo'av Moshe
Re: Cherokee status [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 23 Apr 2012, Yo'av Moshe wrote:

> That's really sad. It's been a week and there's no official comment about
> this.
>
> As far as I can see, there's no daily development. Looking at github, it
> seems there's been only 5 sporadic commits since February, counting all
> forks/branches.

You just missed one pretty big one today ;)
Re: Cherokee status [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 24 Apr 2012, Stefan de Konink wrote:

> You just missed one pretty big one today ;)

Ah unfair. It is not under the Cherokee repo :)
Re: Cherokee status [ In reply to ]
What/where is it Stefan? I was just running through forks on Github this
morning and assessed that not much was happening in Cherokee world.

I've been lurking around a long time and this is actually my first post the
list... Would love to hear some news about where Cherokee is headed.

-Locke

Re: Cherokee status [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 21:26:06 -0400
Locke Bircher <locke@gigbureau.com> wrote:

> What/where is it Stefan? I was just running through forks on Github
> this morning and assessed that not much was happening in Cherokee
> world.

I was running Cherokee for quite some time and even had privilege that
Alvaro was logging to my server in order to troubleshoot it.

In last month, after having too many timeout problems when attempting to
install Concrete5, I did try with lighttpd-1.4.x and although it works
OK (haven't tried lighty-2.0), I've returned to Cherokee.

It's nice to see that Alvaro got a new job in Canonical, but,
considering there is practically only nginx (with its strange syntax of
conf file) alternative (lighty is really not in rapid development), it
would be nice to have Cherokee alive.

Is there anyone who can fix
http://www.cherokee-project.com/community.html page which gives 500
error?

Having, at least, some basic info what's going on with the project
wouldn't take much time, but help a lot to disperse all doubts around
the project.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
As the ignorant perform their duties with attachment to results,
the learned may similarly act, but without attachment, for the

Re: Cherokee status [ In reply to ]
Greetings,

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Gour <gour@atmarama.net> wrote:

> It's nice to see that Alvaro got a new job in Canonical, but,
> considering there is practically only nginx (with its strange syntax of
> conf file) alternative (lighty is really not in rapid development), it
> would be nice to have Cherokee alive.

I was trying to avoid this awkward moment, but I guess it's better to
clarify all this now.

As Gour points out, I joined Canonical a few months ago. Since then, I
stopped having so much time for working on Cherokee. My day-to-day job is
still 100% focused on F/OSS Web technology, but I don't get to spend ten
hours a day on Cherokee as I used to do.

Still, I managed to re-implement the event management mechanism in Cherokee
(which fixed a few long standing SSL bugs), and to start the work on a SPDY
branch.

While I was working on the SPDY branch, I realized of how difficult it'd be
to adapt the current server core to support SPDY. There are a few design
decisions that were made without taking into account that a Session
protocol like SPDY could be added to the mix someday, and thus I hit many
problems implementing it.

Then, as many of you've noticed already, the Cherokee repository got almost
frozen. Just a few patches were merged and there was almost no activity
whatsoever.

My idea wasn't to announce this so soon, but I guess circumstances are kind
of pushing me to go public with it now: I have been working on a new server
core for the past few months. One with proper SPDY and HTTP support.
That's the ultimate reason for the lack of activity in the main repository.

The new core is progressing slowly but surely, although it's still months
away from being ready for production. It will bring a lot both technical
and community improvements worth waiting for though.

Believe me, the redesign and reimplementation of the server core a gigantic
effort. It will take some time to have something usable. However, the
experience of a decade of work on HTTP/Web technology will pay off on the
new core.

BTW, I'd like to thank everybody for your interest in the project. It's
encouraging that we got this far against the odds... and, I'll tell you
something. It's far from over. :-)

--
Regards, alo
Re: Cherokee status [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:09:55 +0200
Alvaro Lopez Ortega <alvaro@octality.com> wrote:

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:09:55 +0200
Alvaro Lopez Ortega <alvaro@octality.com> wrote:

> I was trying to avoid this awkward moment, but I guess it's better to
> clarify all this now.

Hello Alvaro,

it's very nice to hear from you.

> As Gour points out, I joined Canonical a few months ago. Since then, I
> stopped having so much time for working on Cherokee. My day-to-day
> job is still 100% focused on F/OSS Web technology, but I don't get to
> spend ten hours a day on Cherokee as I used to do.

This is, of course, expected.

> While I was working on the SPDY branch, I realized of how difficult
> it'd be to adapt the current server core to support SPDY. There are a
> few design decisions that were made without taking into account that
> a Session protocol like SPDY could be added to the mix someday, and
> thus I hit many problems implementing it.

I see...

> Then, as many of you've noticed already, the Cherokee repository got
> almost frozen. Just a few patches were merged and there was almost no
> activity whatsoever.

SPDY branch is meant to be(come) 1.3?

> My idea wasn't to announce this so soon, but I guess circumstances
> are kind of pushing me to go public with it now: I have been working
> on a new server core for the past few months. One with proper SPDY
> and HTTP support. That's the ultimate reason for the lack of activity
> in the main repository.

When we think about it, it's nice to hear Cherokee is still alive. :-)

> The new core is progressing slowly but surely, although it's still
> months away from being ready for production. It will bring a lot both
> technical and community improvements worth waiting for though.

I'm very happ to hear it...it means that while waiting for a new core,
we can continue using 1.2.x.

Maybe it's an opportunity for Cherokee community to (try) maintain 1.2.x
nicely in the meantime.

What kind of help can be offered to the Cherokee project at the moment?

> Believe me, the redesign and reimplementation of the server core a
> gigantic effort. It will take some time to have something usable.
> However, the experience of a decade of work on HTTP/Web technology
> will pay off on the new core.

Wishing you all the best in your pioneering work!!

> BTW, I'd like to thank everybody for your interest in the project.
> It's encouraging that we got this far against the odds... and, I'll
> tell you something. It's far from over. :-)

Thank you very much for the great news.

Sincerely,
Gour

p.s. It would be good to have working 'Community' page on the project's
site.

--
A person is considered still further advanced when he regards honest
well-wishers, affectionate benefactors, the neutral, mediators, the

Re: Cherokee status — Removal from Debian [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I don't want to make it sound as a "me too" here — I truly believe
Álvaro and his team are working hard on making Cherokee move on to the
future. However, I have come to the (sad but needed) decision to
request the removal of Cherokee from Debian for the upcoming release.

As I said several months ago, I have not had time to debug some
problems¹ (minor, moderate and big) that have piled up with my Cherokee
packaging. I also lack the main motivation to do this: I am no longer
using Cherokee for any of my production servers.

I requested for potential Cherokee adopters back in November², and
although there are two replies to it on the bugtracker (plus a couple
I got by private mail), I have seen no real action backing them.

Cherokee has not been considered for Debian Testing since November,
due to it having important bugs open. As I have not seen any movement
on it, I think the most honest answer to its users is: Go to the
upstream authors. The maintainer in Debian is not doing his job, and
nobody is stepping up to do it either. It would be a disservice to our
users to fool them into thinking my packaging has the high quality
levels both Cherokee and Debian (although with some disagreements on
the "how") strive to achieve.

So, the Git repository will still be there, and I'm sure Leonel will
keep maintaining Cherokee for Ubuntu. But the next Debian release will
not have Cherokee anymore, nor it will be distributed from Debian's
official repositories.

It's been a long, interesting journey. I love this project and wish
Cherokee long life. Hopefully it can be incorporated into Debian (and
its derivatives) later on. But it deserves better than my lack of
attention.

Greetings and hugs to the whole group!

¹ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=cherokee&repeatmerged=no

² http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=648256
Re: Cherokee status — Removal from Debian [ In reply to ]
Hello Gunnar,

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 7:30 PM, Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> wrote:

> It's been a long, interesting journey. I love this project and wish
> Cherokee long life. Hopefully it can be incorporated into Debian (and
> its derivatives) later on. But it deserves better than my lack of
> attention.

Thanks a million of the excellent work during all these years. Your
dedication and effort is greatly appreciated.

All the best buddy!!

PS: I owe you a chela or two next time we meet :)
Re: Cherokee status — Removal from Debian [ In reply to ]
Alvaro Lopez Ortega dijo [Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 08:32:32PM +0200]:
> > It's been a long, interesting journey. I love this project and wish
> > Cherokee long life. Hopefully it can be incorporated into Debian (and
> > its derivatives) later on. But it deserves better than my lack of
> > attention.
> >

> Thanks a million of the excellent work during all these years. Your
> dedication and effort is greatly appreciated.
>
> All the best buddy!!
>
> PS: I owe you a chela or two next time we meet :)

Álvaro, you know I owe you more beers that what I can repay ;-) So
I'll just leave it as a wish to meet you again soon. Maybe you can ask
Canonical to "ship" you to DebConf at Nicaragua and have a good time
there? It would definitively be worth it. Anyway, I am
(trying|planning) to have a week at Spain in Summer 2013 for some
academic issues. If it happens, I'll definitively want to meet you.

All the best, and thanks for all the fish. A lot of fish. Cherokee has
taught me quite a bit, testing my abilities as a Debian Developer. And
I surely hope somebody can take up the task soon!
Re: Cherokee status — Removal from Debian [ In reply to ]
Can the Ubuntu packages be used in Debian? If so, why doesn't the Ubuntu
maintainer maintain the Debian version too?

Re: Cherokee status — Removal from Debian [ In reply to ]
Daniel Lo Nigro dijo [Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 09:51:40PM +1000]:
> Can the Ubuntu packages be used in Debian? If so, why doesn't the Ubuntu
> maintainer maintain the Debian version too?

They can. However, the Ubuntu packages don't have a proper maintainer
(that is, the Ubuntu packages are the ones I built). Leonel has kept
up a PPA, which is an unofficial repository, but his repository is
more concerned with following up newer Cheroke releases than following
on users' bug reports and backporting fixes to an old release. So,
that maintenance is unfit either for formal Cherokee releases
(specially LTS) or for Debian.
Re: Cherokee status — Removal from Debian [ In reply to ]
> Can the Ubuntu packages be used in Debian? If so, why doesn't the Ubuntu
> maintainer maintain the Debian version too?

I can keep the debian version too.
But the debian maintainer process is a little bit long and I haven't time
to keep up with it.

I see the removal from debian has been requested and I don't know if that
can be reverted so I can fix the reported bugs on time and do the process
to become a debian maintainer.

As you can see :

I've asked the procedure to adopt the debian package ..

Saludos