Mailing List Archive

Google Chrome fails on AJAX requests from SSL page
This is a really obscure issue I've been fighting for almost a week.
I am running a Drupal 6 Ubercart site on Cherokee--very standard setup.
When I am on the order screen where you enter credit card details etc.,
there is a loading bar that just hangs there which should show the
line-items that you are buying.
Similarly when I submit this form, the server will just hang for however
long the timeout is set (in my case, 2 minutes). After posting on Ubercart
and Chrome forums, and testing in Firebug, I've narrowed it to the fact that
it's a Google Chrome issue when an AJAX request is made from an SSL page. If
I turn off SSL for the checkout pages in Ubercart, everything works fine.
But of course I can't keep it that way--and every other browser I've tried
works correctly on the SSL pages.

I got this potentially helpful reply on a Google Chrome forum here:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=7d50c093bd4f8f6c&hl=en&start=160

/"Just FYI, the issue seems to stem around the fact that chrome doesn't
handle changing the order of the encryption algorithms very well.

For example, I had this issue on a CISCO ASA. Turns out someone changed the
algorithms to where AES256 and AES128 were above RC4 and 3DES. So ensure
that RC4 or 3DES encryption options are above the AES options on the server
side and it should resolve this issue."/

So is there a way to change this order in Cherokee? Do you think this
response is on the right track?
FYI I also left feedback on an Ubercart forum here:
http://www.ubercart.org/forum/support/3872/javascript_problem_drupal_57_and_ubercart_beta_7

-----
Visit Bradezone today and be a part of history! Technically!
Re: Google Chrome fails on AJAX requests from SSL page [ In reply to ]
Hey,

It's known "problem" see discussion there:
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1284
and

Pozdrawiam
Jędrzej Nowak

Re: Google Chrome fails on AJAX requests from SSL page [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the links--very valuable info! From the looks of it though, I need
to install Cherokee 1.3.0A2 and hope for the best?? That seems less than
desirable, especially since it's still "alpha" software...

Someone else mentioned setting up a reverse proxy. Is that advisable, and
what's the best way to do it? I read the reverse proxy section in the
Cherokee docs, but it wasn't totally clear where the best place to set it up
(default or specific virtual server), and what kind of info source I should
be using.

I am getting hassled by the client unfortunately about this specific site.
I'd love to get it working in Cherokee, but might have to switch to Apache
within the next day or two if the solution is too wacky =[

-----
Visit Bradezone today and be a part of history! Technically!
Re: Google Chrome fails on AJAX requests from SSL page [ In reply to ]
This issue was started about my problem:

2nd time I've heard the advice to make sure RC4 is the cipher of choice for
cherokee -- is there any way for me to set that? This problem has been a
huge drag on my week >_<

-----
Visit Bradezone today and be a part of history! Technically!
Re: Google Chrome fails on AJAX requests from SSL page [ In reply to ]
Vserver -> Security Tab -> Ciphers box. The documentation for the input
format is at http://www.openssl.org/docs/apps/ciphers.html. I'm not 100%
sure of how to specify that RC4 is the preferred cipher though.

Re: Google Chrome fails on AJAX requests from SSL page [ In reply to ]
I think the cipher would look something like:
RC4-SHA:AES128-SHA:HIGH:!aNULL:!MD5

Could be wrong though. I'm having the same bug, and I'm not sure if
setting the cipher is going to provide the fix I need.

Re: Google Chrome fails on AJAX requests from SSL page [ In reply to ]
so yeah, this worked!
sort of =]

I ended up just using "RC4" in the ciphers box in cherokee (which actually has a link to the accepted patterns for this value).
that's the one that got google chrome to play nice with POST submissions finally...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Visit www.bradezone.com today and be a part of history! Technically!

On Feb 25, 2012, at 1:09 PM, Keith Hoffmann [via Cherokee Web Server - General] wrote:

> [...]
>> http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=7d50c093bd4f8f6c&hl=en&start=160
>>
>> /"Just FYI, the issue seems to stem around the fact that chrome doesn't
>> handle changing the order of the encryption algorithms very well.
>>
>> For example, I had this issue on a CISCO ASA. Turns out someone changed the
>> algorithms to where AES256 and AES128 were above RC4 and 3DES. So ensure
>> that RC4 or 3DES encryption options are above the AES options on the server
>> side and it should resolve this issue."/
>>
>> So is there a way to change this order in Cherokee? Do you think this
>> response is on the right track?
>> FYI I also left feedback on an Ubercart forum here:
>> http://www.ubercart.org/forum/support/3872/javascript_problem_drupal_57_and_ubercart_beta_7
>>
>> -----
>> Visit Bradezone today and be a part of history! Technically!

-----
Visit Bradezone today and be a part of history! Technically!