Does this mean that if I build Cherokee on my laptop (running Windows 7
Enterprise x64) that it will be unstable? If so, how unstable will the build
possibly be?

Re: Windows Build [ In reply to ]
David <furryboi69@gmail.com> wrote:

>The download page says that "The Windows port is an ongoing effort..."
>
>Is there any known estimate on how long the Windows port will take?
>
>The documentation says that "The Windows native build is currently
>broken."
>
>Does this mean that if I build Cherokee on my laptop (running Windows 7
>Enterprise x64) that it will be unstable? If so, how unstable will the
>build
>possibly be?
>
>--

Broken as in it won't build.
Re: Windows Build [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 30 Dec 2011, Chris Darnell wrote:
> Broken as in it won't build.

Since I have build probably all 'last' windows builds, the 'fixes' to
build Cherokee are in the bugtracker on Google. It still lacks so basics
to make cherokee usable.

On the other hand, if you are running Windows 7, you have the availability
of Interix. This is a complete Unix environment in Windows. If you compile
Cherokee from there chances are that every works as it would on OSX/BSD
etc.

Stefan
Re: Windows Build [ In reply to ]
I have Interix partially working in Windows 7. I cannot build Cherokee
because of a problem I have that I'm trying to work around.

One of Cherokee's functions requires gettext. When I try to install gettext,
the following happens:

% pkg_update -L gettext
Starting checks for updates
Percent download complete/package:
100% |**************************************************|
gettext
^C
Signal 2 received, cleaning up
Please don't '^C' again!
tar: Signal caught, cleaning up.
pkg_update: Problem updating package
(ftp://ftp.interopsystems.com/pkgs/6.1-genuineintel/gettext-0.17.bin.tgz).
Continuing. : Undefined error: 0
Done.

I had to control-c because after about 10 minutes of waiting, gettext was
still not installed.
When I manage to install the package and build Cherokee, I'll report how it
runs.

Re: Windows Build [ In reply to ]
Re: Windows Build [ In reply to ]
I figured out the problem with gettext (Their FTP was limited; had to use
their HTTP) but now I have a problem and I'm not sure if my environment is
somehow messed up or if there is a bug of compiling Cherokee in Internix:
(Speaking of which, the compiling process would completely freeze because of
some missing dependencies, but now it's throwing out these)

libtool: compile: gcc -std=gnu99 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I.. -D_REENTRANT
-D_ALL_SOURCE -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/ssl/include -D_ALL_SOURCE
-MT util.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/util.Tpo -c util.c -DPIC -o .libs/util.o
util.c: In function 'cherokee_readdir':
util.c:483: error: too few arguments to function 'readdir_r'
util.c: In function 'cherokee_mkdtemp':
util.c:1775: warning: implicit declaration of function 'mkdtemp'
util.c:1775: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
*** Error code 1

Stop in /dev/fs/C/Users/fb69/cherokee-1.2.101/cherokee.
***Error code 1

Stop in /dev/fs/C/Users/fb69/cherokee-1.2.101/cherokee (like 2739 of
Makefile).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /dev/fs/C/Users/fb69/cherokee-1.2.101 (line 597 of Makefile).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /dev/fs/C/Users/fb69/cherokee-1.2.101 (line 383 of Makefile).
%

When using pkg_info, my environment is:
bash-3.2.39.2, c89-6.0.9, cp-1.3, env_cflags_gcc-1.0.2,
env_cppflags_local-1.2.3, env_cppflags_ssl-1.1, env_etc_irsconf-1.0,
env_ldflags_local-1.0.3, env_ldflags_ssl-1.1, env_ldlibrarypath_local-1.1,
env_ldlibrarypath_ssl-1.0.2, env_manpath_local-1.0.7, env_manpath_ssl-1.1,
env_path_local-1.0.4, ftp-3.7, gettext-0.17, glib-2.20.3, gzip-1.3.3.10.2,
jot-1.0.1, ldconfig-1.0, libcrypt-1.2.7.2, libdl-5.2.5.1, libiconv-1.13,
libm-5.2.6, libtool-2.2.6.1.1, lsreg-1.0.1, openssh-5.8.0.2,
openssl-1.0.0.4, pcre-4.5, pkg-2.12.5, pkgconfig-0.26, python-2.6.2.3,
readline-5.2.3, realpath-1.0.1, wget-1.13.4, zlib-1.2.2f
(Note: I left off "-bin" on all of them to save space; may or may not be any
typos as I had to manually type it.. Can't mark text in Internix)

Could my environment be causing these errors or is it possibly a bug?

Re: Windows Build [ In reply to ]
Re: Windows Build [ In reply to ]
When I add the flag --disable-readdir_r to the end of ./configure and then
try to compile it, it still throws out errors about directory functions. (I
checked in ./configure --help and --disable-readdir_r is the correct flag)

libtool: compile: gcc -std=gnu99 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I.. -D_REENTRANT
-D_ALL_SOURCE -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/ssl/include -D_ALL_SOURCE
-MT util.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/util.Tpo -c util.c -DPIC -o .libs/util.o
util.c: In function 'cherokee_readdir':
util.c:500: error: 'readdir_mutex' undeclared (first use in this function)
util.c:500: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
util.c:500: error: for each function it appears in.)
util.c:1775: warning: implicit declaration of function 'mkdtemp'
util.c:1775: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast

After the error and two warnings, it throws out the exact same error codes
and line numbers..

Re: Windows Build [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Stefan de Konink <stefan@konink.de> wrote:

> Since I have build probably all 'last' windows builds, the 'fixes' to
> build Cherokee are in the bugtracker on Google. It still lacks so basics to
> make cherokee usable.

Have you taken notice of the efforts by Microsoft to port Redis to Windows?
They're using the win32 pthread port* coupled with the libuv library from
the node.js project to gain cross platform support for libev. You can view
the build instructions and gain access to the patch (which includes a
modified version of libuv) at https://gist.github.com/1439660

antirez followed up the patch submission from MSFT with his own thoughts >
http://antirez.com/post/redis-win32-msft-patch.html

I haven't spent any time researching how easily -- if at all -- this same
process/code could be used in the port of Cherokee to Windows, but it
seemed worth pointing out just in case.

* See: ftp://sourceware.org/pub/pthreads-win32/ to gain access to both
prebuilt binary and source releases. The source for the latest release can
be viewed in the sources subdirectory >
ftp://sourceware.org/pub/pthreads-win32/sources/pthreads-w32-2-8-0-release/<)

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
Co-Founder & Chief Architect, 3rd&Urban, LLC
Email: m.david@3rdandUrban.com
Voice: (801) 742-1064
http://amp.fm | http://mdavidpeterson.com