in step 2.

I also had problems trying to install phpmyadmin on Cherokee. In 1.0.8 I
couldn't get the rule to work, I'd either get a 405 error or the page would
load as a download. When I upgraded to 1.2 the interface didn't load
properly and I didn't have most of the options available. I reinstalled
Debian because I broke something else and since I've not been able to
download a copy of 1.2.

Any help would be appreciated.
Re: Installing Cherokee 1.2 on Debian [ In reply to ]
What release of Debian are you using? Stable (squeeze) or Testing (wheezy)?
I'm running Debian Testing and the Cherokee 1.2 packages from unstable
(Sid) and everything seems to be working fine. It's possible that the
dependencies in stable are too old for Cherokee 1.2, but I'm not too sure.

Testing is still stable enough for a server, I've been running it for years
with no issues. If this is a new server you're trying out Cherokee on, you
could try upgrading to Debian testing, which should give you some newer
packages. You can do that by editing /etc/apt/sources.list and changing all
instances of "stable" to "testing". Then do "apt-get update && apt-get
dist-upgrade".

Daniel Lo Nigro
http://dan.cx/ | http://twitter.com/Daniel15

Re: Installing Cherokee 1.2 on Debian [ In reply to ]
Hello

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install Cherokee 1.2 on Debian. When I try using *"apt-get
> install*" I get version 1.0.8. I tried the sid repository but it keeps
> telling me about broken dependencies for cherokee-admin.

Remove the package libcherokee-mod-admin and install cherokee-admin from
testing

> I thought I'd try the wget latest tarball method on the
> basics_installation_unix.html page but given my relative inexperience with
> Linux I can't see how to go from the the wget in step 1 to the ./configure
> in step 2.
>
> I also had problems trying to install phpmyadmin on Cherokee. In 1.0.8 I
> couldn't get the rule to work, I'd either get a 405 error or the page
> would
> load as a download. When I upgraded to 1.2 the interface didn't load
> properly and I didn't have most of the options available. I reinstalled
> Debian because I broke something else and since I've not been able to
> download a copy of 1.2.

you can use the wizard for a php source

> Any help would be appreciated.

Saludos

Leonel

Re: Installing Cherokee 1.2 on Debian [ In reply to ]
By the way, does anybody knows why debian repository has 1.2.101 packages
for all architectures except i386?

cherokee_1.2.101-1_amd64.deb<http://mirror.yandex.ru/debian/pool/main/c/cherokee/cherokee_1.2.101-1_amd64.deb>
2011-Oct-27
03:02:05 507.3Kapplication/x-debian-package
cherokee_1.2.101-1_kfreebsd-amd64.deb<http://mirror.yandex.ru/debian/pool/main/c/cherokee/cherokee_1.2.101-1_kfreebsd-amd64.deb>2011-Oct-27
03:32:05
504.8K application/x-debian-packagecherokee_1.2.101-1_kfreebsd-i386.deb<http://mirror.yandex.ru/debian/pool/main/c/cherokee/cherokee_1.2.101-1_kfreebsd-i386.deb>
2011-Oct-27
04:47:05 504.3Kapplication/x-debian-package
cherokee_1.2.101-1_mips.deb<http://mirror.yandex.ru/debian/pool/main/c/cherokee/cherokee_1.2.101-1_mips.deb>2011-Oct-27
04:17:05
505.6K application/x-debian-packagecherokee_1.2.101-1_mipsel.deb<http://mirror.yandex.ru/debian/pool/main/c/cherokee/cherokee_1.2.101-1_mipsel.deb>
2011-Oct-27
04:17:15 505.4Kapplication/x-debian-package
cherokee_1.2.101-1_sparc.deb<http://mirror.yandex.ru/debian/pool/main/c/cherokee/cherokee_1.2.101-1_sparc.deb>
On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Leonel Nunez <listas@enelserver.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to install Cherokee 1.2 on Debian. When I try using *"apt-get
> > install*" I get version 1.0.8. I tried the sid repository but it keeps
> > telling me about broken dependencies for cherokee-admin.
> >

> Remove the package libcherokee-mod-admin and install cherokee-admin from
> testing
>
> > I thought I'd try the wget latest tarball method on the
> > basics_installation_unix.html page but given my relative inexperience
> with
> > Linux I can't see how to go from the the wget in step 1 to the
> ./configure
> > in step 2.
> >
> > I also had problems trying to install phpmyadmin on Cherokee. In 1.0.8 I
> > couldn't get the rule to work, I'd either get a 405 error or the page
> > would
> > load as a download. When I upgraded to 1.2 the interface didn't load
> > properly and I didn't have most of the options available. I reinstalled
> > Debian because I broke something else and since I've not been able to
> > download a copy of 1.2.
>
> you can use the wizard for a php source
>

> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >

> Saludos
>

> Leonel

Best regards,
Dmitry Yurchenko
Re: Installing Cherokee 1.2 on Debian [ In reply to ]
Hi guys,

I'm currently using Squeeze stable. I'll give testing a go. Thanks.

Re: Installing Cherokee 1.2 on Debian [ In reply to ]
Dmitry Yurchenko dijo [Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 03:07:15PM +0400]:
> By the way, does anybody knows why debian repository has 1.2.101 packages
> for all architectures except i386?

Hi,

Cherokee is failing its test suite for several architectures since
1.2.100 IIRC:

https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=cherokee

Of course, I could build the package skipping the test suite, or
partial results of it, but that would probably lead to broken
functionality.

I have reported this to the Cherokee BTS. I am unable to debug/fix
this problem (and that's one of the reasons I feel a new maintainer is
needed for Cherokee in Debian). Hopefully, this can be fixed in the
next release - but as of today, I cannot offer you a solution.
Re: Installing Cherokee 1.2 on Debian [ In reply to ]
drentsoft dijo [Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 03:57:19AM -0800]:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm currently using Squeeze stable. I'll give testing a go. Thanks.

Just adding to what others have said - Using testing on a server is
not a good idea. Testing is the last suite to receive security
updates, and at some points in time (specially when preparing
complicated transitions, or with long-standing critical bugs) some
packages are (temporarily or permanently) kicked from testing.

In fact, currently Cherokee is not in testing, given that it has
critical bugs (cannot build on several platforms) for a long time.

The recommended route if you need an updated Cherokee in a Debian
server would be to use a backport - A Debian developer or maintainer
can build the updated packages and upload them regularly to
backports.debian.org.
Re: Installing Cherokee 1.2 on Debian [ In reply to ]
> drentsoft dijo [Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 03:57:19AM -0800]:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm currently using Squeeze stable. I'll give testing a go. Thanks.
>
> Just adding to what others have said - Using testing on a server is
> not a good idea. Testing is the last suite to receive security
> updates, and at some points in time (specially when preparing
> complicated transitions, or with long-standing critical bugs) some
> packages are (temporarily or permanently) kicked from testing.
>
> In fact, currently Cherokee is not in testing, given that it has
> critical bugs (cannot build on several platforms) for a long time.
>
> The recommended route if you need an updated Cherokee in a Debian
> server would be to use a backport - A Debian developer or maintainer
> can build the updated packages and upload them regularly to
> backports.debian.org.

I can do the backport what's the road to upload to backports.debian.org ?

Saludos

Leonel

Re: Installing Cherokee 1.2 on Debian [ In reply to ]
Leonel Nunez dijo [Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 04:23:37PM -0700]:
> I can do the backport what's the road to upload to backports.debian.org ?

The best way would be to become a DD, of course. But if not, you can
make your packages available and request for a sponsor:

http://backports-master.debian.org/Contribute/#index3h3

Greetings,
Re: Installing Cherokee 1.2 on Debian [ In reply to ]
Gunnar,

On 11/22/2011 02:44 PM, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Dmitry Yurchenko dijo [Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 03:07:15PM +0400]:
>> > By the way, does anybody knows why debian repository has 1.2.101 packages
>> > for all architectures except i386?
> Cherokee is failing its test suite for several architectures since
> 1.2.100 IIRC:
>
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=cherokee
>
> Of course, I could build the package skipping the test suite, or
> partial results of it, but that would probably lead to broken
> functionality.

I believe the problem is related to how IPv4/IPv6 hostnames were
resolved. The compilation logs show how the QA bench failed when it
tried to run the first SCGI related test (where "localhost" had to be
resolved).

This bug is now fixed in the 'dev' branch. Hopefully Cherokee 1.0.102
will compile fine on Debian systems.

> I have reported this to the Cherokee BTS. I am unable to debug/fix
> this problem (and that's one of the reasons I feel a new maintainer is
> needed for Cherokee in Debian). Hopefully, this can be fixed in the
> next release - but as of today, I cannot offer you a solution.

I read the message you sent asking for someone to take over the package.
It is a shame, I must say. You have been an outstanding Debian
maintainer for the project. Actually, the kind of maintainer that has
even influenced the project in many aspects.

Thank you very much for the great job you have done! I owe you a
Michelada ;)

Alvaro
Re: Installing Cherokee 1.2 on Debian [ In reply to ]
Alvaro Lopez Ortega dijo [Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 04:55:16PM +0100]:
> >https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=cherokee
> >
> >Of course, I could build the package skipping the test suite, or
> >partial results of it, but that would probably lead to broken
> >functionality.
>
> I believe the problem is related to how IPv4/IPv6 hostnames were
> resolved. The compilation logs show how the QA bench failed when it
> tried to run the first SCGI related test (where "localhost" had to
> be resolved).
>
> This bug is now fixed in the 'dev' branch. Hopefully Cherokee
> 1.0.102 will compile fine on Debian systems.

Great news! Can you point me to a commit I could patch .101 with that
addresses this? Or should I wait for 102? (approximate timeframe?)

> >I have reported this to the Cherokee BTS. I am unable to debug/fix
> >this problem (and that's one of the reasons I feel a new maintainer is
> >needed for Cherokee in Debian). Hopefully, this can be fixed in the
> >next release - but as of today, I cannot offer you a solution.
>
> I read the message you sent asking for someone to take over the
> package. It is a shame, I must say. You have been an outstanding
> Debian maintainer for the project. Actually, the kind of maintainer
> that has even influenced the project in many aspects.
>
> Thank you very much for the great job you have done! I owe you a
> Michelada ;)

Well.. For you this is surely no surprise, as I've been mentioning it
privately for a very long time. I do not feel I can do a good job at
maintaining it, as I'm not only not really familiar with the code
(except on how to build it), but I cannot commit to patch the bugs
that appear... And that disqualifies me as the proper maintainer. And
I have been too busy with other stuff.

So, I'll very happily take the michelada, as long as we meet in
person, which is always fun! (Oh, and please note: I don't think
anybody expects Wheezy to be done in less than a year, so... I'm still
here for some time :) )