Mailing List Archive

Local interpreter not being spawned under Cherokee 1.2.100
I've just upgraded Cherokee to 1.2.100 from 1.2.99 and have noticed that my
previously-configured Redmine installation (originally from the Cherokee
Market) does not spawn when accessed. Specifically, under 1.2.99 the local
Ruby interpreter would be spawned upon someone accessing a given directory,
and using the same configuration on the same host (RHEL 6, 64 bit), the Ruby
instance does not get spawned. The source is configured thusly:

source!1!env!GEM_HOME = /opt/redmine/.gem
source!1!env!GEM_PATH = /opt/redmine/.gem:/usr/lib/ruby/gems:$GEM_PATH
source!1!env!RAILS_ENV = production
source!1!env!RUBYLIB = /opt/redmine/lib:$RUBYLIB
source!1!env_inherited = 0
source!1!host = 127.0.0.1:56330
source!1!interpreter = /usr/bin/ruby /opt/redmine/redmine/script/server thin
start --binding=127.0.0.1 --port=56330 --environment=production
source!1!nick = Redmine
source!1!timeout = 3

But accessing the given URL sees nothing logged in the Cherokee error logs.
I've also tried adjusting the timeout to 30 seconds with no difference; as
best I can tell, no Ruby process gets started at all. That said, running
the command manually works without a problem:

sudo -u cherokee RUBYLIB=/opt/redmine/lib:$RUBYLIB
GEM_HOME=/opt/redmine/.gem RAILS_ENV=production
GEM_PATH=/opt/redmine/.gem:/usr/lib/ruby/gems:$GEM_PATH /usr/bin/ruby
/opt/redmine/redmine/script/server thin start --binding=127.0.0.1
--port=56330 --environment=production

so there doesn't appear to be any trouble with the interpreter actually
starting (and afaict, the interpreter doesn't daemonize or detatch itself).
For now, I've taken to starting the instance myself manually in a screen
session, and Cherokee is able to use this without problem. However, this
means manually intervening.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

-- David
Re: Local interpreter not being spawned under Cherokee 1.2.100 [ In reply to ]
Hello David,

I'm afraid a regression was introduced on 1.2.100 that inhibits the
reverse proxy handler from spawning new interpreters.

The fix is already in the repository
<https://github.com/cherokee/webserver>, waiting to be released in the
upcoming 1.2.101 version.

Re: Local interpreter not being spawned under Cherokee 1.2.100 [ In reply to ]
Ah okay, no problem.

Thanks very much for the fix.

All the best,
David