Mailing List Archive

Cherokee 1.2.99 released
========================

Cherokee is a very fast, flexible and easy to configure Web Server. It supports
the widespread technologies nowadays: FastCGI, SCGI, PHP, CGI, uWSGI, SSI, TLS
and SSL encrypted connections, Virtual hosts, Authentication, on the fly
encoding, Load Balancing, Apache compatible log files, Data Base Balancing,
Reverse HTTP Proxy, Traffic Shaper, Video Streaming and much more.

Cherokee-Admin, a user friendly interface, provides a no-hassle configuration
of the server. Completely integrated with the Cherokee Distribution, it can
automatically deploy web applications for an optimal performance. Check out the
benchmarks and documentation to learn more, join our active Community and give
it a try to squeeze your hardware to the fullest!

Please visit the Cherokee Web Server site for more information.

http://www.cherokee-project.com/

Changes since the previous release
----------------------------------

* NEW: "UNIX socket in a abstract namespace" support
* NEW: Adds SHA512 support to the MySQL validator
* FIX: SSL/TLS stability improved substantianly
* FIX: Fixed an out-by-one problem in the static content handler
* FIX: An internal memory management issue was fixed
* FIX: Better internal management of complex match rules
* FIX: Improved how temporal directories were created
* FIX: Improved the random password generation (better seed)
* FIX: Fixed the CPU/Core detection on MacOS 10.5 (PowerPC)
* FIX: MySQL and LDAP validators username pre-filetering
* FIX: LDAP validator: filter string is optional
* DOC: Improved SSL cookbook
* DOC: Improved LDAP validator documentation

Availability
------------

A tarball file is already available for you to download:
http://www.cherokee-project.com/download/1.2/1.2.99/cherokee-1.2.99.tar.gz

* RIPEMD-160: 59ba7eb005a4013959afcb826faa0a778e5cc4b2
* SHA-224: 78268997865d6833a16d5c754533890c125e88c30589e0f2de093f53

Packages
--------

A MacOS X binary package is available for Intel based Macs at:

http://www.cherokee-project.com/download/1.2/1.2.99/MacOSX/Cherokee-1.2.99.dmg

Automated installation from the sources
---------------------------------------

Either of the following commands will perform an automatic deployment of the
latest version of Cherokee under /opt/cherokee:

wget http://cherokee-project.com/install && python install
or
curl -LO http://cherokee-project.com/install && python install

Proud Cherokee users

http://lists.cherokee-project.com/

Feedback
--------

Do not hesitate to send us bug reports and requests for enhancements. Your
feedback is very valuable to us!

http://bugs.cherokee-project.com/

Acknowledges
------------

A whole lot of people have contributed with the project during the last years;
without their help Cherokee could not be possible. Many thanks to everybody who
has contributed.

Special acknowledges to our main contributors for this release:

* Stefan de Konink
* Roberto De Ioris
* Martin Szulecki
* Jonathan Hernandez
* Jedrzej Nowak
* Fill Q
* Jeff Bauer
* Mehmetali
* MATSUU Takuto
* David James Breitkreutz
* Dale (dale.liszka@gmail.com)
* David <sk.random2@gmail.com>
* Antonio Perez
* Taher Shihadeh
* Klocwork.com

ROCK ON!!
Re: Cherokee 1.2.99 released [ In reply to ]
> Cherokee 1.2.99 released
> ========================

I'll be working on Ubuntu PPA and Debian Unstable Packages I'm busy right
now for about 4 hours, I'll get the packages ASAP don't hold your breath
;)

Saludos

Leonel

Re: Cherokee 1.2.99 released [ In reply to ]
> Cherokee 1.2.99 released
> ========================

Packages for Ubuntu Natty 11.04 Maverick 10.10 and Lucid 10.04 are ready
at launchpad for Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 needs more work

https://launchpad.net/~cherokee-webserver/+archive/ppa/

Gunnar has uploaded packages for Debian Unstable

Saludos

Leonel

Re: Cherokee 1.2.99 released [ In reply to ]
Re: Cherokee 1.2.99 released [ In reply to ]
I wish Fedora stayed this up to date :(

Re: Cherokee 1.2.99 released [ In reply to ]
Hello Stefan,

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 11:41 PM, Stefan de Konink <stefan@konink.de> wrote:

> Op 11-09-11 21:26, Leonel Nunez schreef:
> > Gunnar has uploaded packages for Debian Unstable
>
> What should happen to get these packages in Stable?

It'd suggest a backport. It's the most realistic way to get any new package
version ported to the Stable IMHO.

Gunnar would be the best one the response to this question though.

--
Greetings, alo
http://www.octality.com/
Re: Cherokee 1.2.99 released [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 12 Sep 2011, Alvaro Lopez Ortega wrote:

> It'd suggest a backport. It's the most realistic way to get any new package version ported to the Stable IMHO.

"What qualifies as a backport?"

Everything except new features?

Stefan
Re: Cherokee 1.2.99 released [ In reply to ]
Hello Stefan,

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Stefan de Konink <stefan@konink.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Sep 2011, Alvaro Lopez Ortega wrote:
>
> It'd suggest a backport. It's the most realistic way to get any new
>> package version ported to the Stable IMHO.
>>

> "What qualifies as a backport?"
> Everything except new features?

No. A backport is a port of a package for a recent version of the
distribution to an older one.

For example, rebuilding the 1.2.99 package that Gunnar just uploaded to
Unstable on a Debian Stable distribution, and thus generating a package for
Stable from the latest sources of the package.

It is usually a fairly straightforward process, although it could get messy
if some of the building infrastructure bits changed from one distro to the
other, for instance.

--
Greetings, alo
http://www.octality.com/
Re: Cherokee 1.2.99 released [ In reply to ]
Alvaro Lopez Ortega dijo [Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 11:58:20AM +0200]:
> > > Gunnar has uploaded packages for Debian Unstable
> >
> > What should happen to get these packages in Stable?
> >

> It'd suggest a backport. It's the most realistic way to get any new package
> version ported to the Stable IMHO.
>
> Gunnar would be the best one the response to this question though.

Hi,

Yes, it could be handled as a backport. However, I don't want to
volunteer to do them, and in fact, I'd much rather not do so - I know
you (as the development community) prefer having the latest release
available everywhere, but if we were to follow that, we would not have
a stable suite at all :)

Cherokee 1.0.8 serves most of the users what it promises: A very fast,
flexible and easy to configure Web Server. There are cases, yes, where
some users would prefer a newer release - In that case, I'd suggest
them to use non-official packages (such as what Leonel puts in the
PPA). But for most users, a Web server should not be seen as something
prone to change often. Infrastructure should remain stable throughout
the lifecycle of the release.
Re: Cherokee 1.2.99 released [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 18:28:56 +0200 (CEST), Alvaro Lopez Ortega wrote:
> Cherokee 1.2.99 released

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

This release has fixed my long standing issues with interrupted
connections when using SSL.

Thanks again!
Mateusz
using Generik Hosting
www.generik.co
Re: Cherokee 1.2.99 released [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 19 Sep 2011, Mateusz Pawlowski wrote:

> Thank you, thank you, thank you!
>
> This release has fixed my long standing issues with interrupted connections
> when using SSL.

SVN has some additional stuff fixed with SSL. You might want to check it
out.

Stefan