Hello,
while I was trying to create a debian package for cherokee
1.2.98, I notice that test's daemon won't even start.

[25/08/2011 02:52:47.605] (error) util.c:1839 - Could not mkdir
'/var/lib/cherokee/flcache/16663/default' (UID 1001): Permission
denied | Most
probably there you have to adjust some permissions.

[25/08/2011 02:52:47.605] (critical) flcache.c:192 - Could not create the
'/var/lib/cherokee/flcache/16663/default' directory, or it doesn't have
write permissions | The issue seems to be related to your system.

I can suppose that's because flcache wants to use the
/var/lib/cherokee/flcache path (and as normal user, ofc, I can't);
there is a way to tell to flcache to use a different base path?

Regards,
Stefano

--
Dott. Stefano Balocco
Re: flcache && tests [ In reply to ]
> Hello,
> while I was trying to create a debian package for cherokee
> 1.2.98, I notice that test's daemon won't even start.
>
> [25/08/2011 02:52:47.605] (error) util.c:1839 - Could not mkdir
> '/var/lib/cherokee/flcache/16663/default' (UID 1001): Permission
> denied | Most
> probably there you have to adjust some permissions.
>
> [25/08/2011 02:52:47.605] (critical) flcache.c:192 - Could not create the
> '/var/lib/cherokee/flcache/16663/default' directory, or it doesn't
> have
> write permissions | The issue seems to be related to your system.
>
> I can suppose that's because flcache wants to use the
> /var/lib/cherokee/flcache path (and as normal user, ofc, I can't);
> there is a way to tell to flcache to use a different base path?
>
> Regards,
> Stefano

You can try the ppa package for debian :
https://launchpad.net/~cherokee-webserver/+archive/ppa

I guess we don't have the Debian unstable done ... I'll work on it for
upload to debian unstable

Saludos

Leonel

Re: flcache && tests [ In reply to ]
Hello Leonel, Stefano,

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 3:43 AM, Leonel Nunez <listas@enelserver.com> wrote:

> > I can suppose that's because flcache wants to use the
> > /var/lib/cherokee/flcache path (and as normal user, ofc, I can't);
> > there is a way to tell to flcache to use a different base path?
>
> You can try the ppa package for debian :
> https://launchpad.net/~cherokee-webserver/+archive/ppa<https://launchpad.net/%7Echerokee-webserver/+archive/ppa>

Actually, the bug Stefano is referring to should be fixed in trunk.

Stefano, you might want to give the latest
snapshot<http://www.cherokee-project.com/download/trunk/>a try.

--
Greetings, alo
http://www.octality.com/
Re: flcache && tests [ In reply to ]
I bumped into this same error in version 1.2.101 on Ubuntu. I used the
python-based 'easy installation' and the 'configure && make && make install
dance'. Neither worked, the error still happens.

I've 'chmod +s' the /var/lib/cherokee/flcache and 'chown www-data:www-data'
but that didn't work also. The log still says that there is a permission
error. It's funny how cherokee can create directories inside
/var/lib/cherokee but can't write any files underneath it... is it really a
permission error?

Because of this, I can't use the front cache, and that's why I was
considering using cherokee... :(

Re: flcache && tests [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:16 AM, naltimari <nelson@whitehat.com.br> wrote:

> I've 'chmod +s' the /var/lib/cherokee/flcache and 'chown www-data:www-data'

chmod +s will change the sticky bit for the current user so when a new
directory is created in /var/lib/cherokee it will make the logged in user
that made the changes to the sticky bit the owner. chown www-data:www-data
/var/lib/cherokee will only effect the owner of the /var/lib/cherokee
directory, nothing below it which requires the -R flag, though that won't
necessarily fix the problem either.

but that didn't work also. The log still says that there is a permission
> error. It's funny how cherokee can create directories inside
> /var/lib/cherokee but can't write any files underneath it... is it really a
> permission error?

Yep. Given that the permissions on the parent folder might still restrict
the ability to read, write, or execute on a file or within a directory
(e.g. listing a directories contents requires the executable bit
permission) to the folders user, group, or other system account (u,g,o). To
further complicate things a folder with the user sticky bit turned on and
the group sticky bit turned off can wreak all havoc when any of those files
or folders are access by system processes running under a user or group
account that doesn't have the proper access it needs to perform it's
necessary duty.

Easy enough to fix, though.

sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /var/lib/cherokee

... will change the owner of the base /var/lib/cherokee folder and all of
its children to the www-data user and www-data group, and

sudo chmod -R u+rws,g+r+s-w /var/lib/cherokee

... will then add the read, write, and sticky bit of the folders owner (the
www-data user account) which will ensure that all files and folders created
under /var/lib/cherokee retain the permissions of the www-data user and
group account, add read permissions to the group account to allow the
ability to read files contained within the folder while remove the write
privileges which will be more the adequate for the needs of the
cherokee-worker process running under the www-data user and www-data group
accounts while ensuring that other www-data group members can't come along
and do damage to any of the files nor view the contents of any of the
folders without the knowledge of the www-data user.

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
Co-Founder & Chief Architect, 3rd&Urban, LLC
Email: m.david@3rdandUrban.com
Voice: (801) 742-1064
http://amp.fm | http://mdavidpeterson.com