Mailing List Archive

[Re]: Feedback: Improving the quality of Cherokee's documentation
These are some of the proposed changes.
Better structure? Something to delete? Things to add?
Feedback is very welcome.

Tasks to be documented:
-------------------------------------
* <1> How to configure virtual hosts from beginning to end, step by step.
* <2> How to tune scalability (IO cache & file, number of threads, increment
descriptors...)
* <3> How to setup authenticated resources
* <4> How to configure the most spread apps servers (php, django, RoR,..)
* <5> How to manage logs
* <6> How to manage security (SSL/TLS, certs, etc)
* <7> Development documentation would be nice to have, Stefan de Konink
suggested example handlers *fully* documented and documenting the API,
though this last thing might be slightly out of the normal user
documentations scope. A Development section could be introduced when we
design the new general draft.
* <8> Table with equivalent functionality (and hopefully a full setup example)
to that of specific mod_* Apache modules.
* <9> Cherokee on exotic devices

Structure proposal:
----------------------------
To be determined. Navigability strategy must be drafted.
The proposed structure reuses the points of the previous documents shown
between brackets, and between '<>' the documentation tasks proposed above.
Refer to http://svn.cherokee-project.com/browser/cherokee/trunk/doc/build/TODO if you want to see the correlations.

Getting started:
Why Cherokee?
Requirements
Download [1]
Installation
Unix [3]
Windows
Running Cherokee

The Cherokee Bundle:
cherokee
cherokee-admin [4]
cherokee-config
cherokee-guardian
cherokee-tweak [14]
spawn-fcgi

Configuration
Walkthrough <1>
General [5]
Virtual servers [6]
Encoding
Icons [9]
Mime Types
Advanced [10]

Advanced topics
Debugging [11]
Cross compilation [12]
Embedded Cherokee <9>
Optimizing Cherokee <2>

Cookbook
Equivalencies table <8>
Security
Managing logs <5>
Authentication [8] <3>
SSL/TLS, certs [13]<6>
Setting up PHP <4>
Setting up Django <4>
Setting up RoR <4>

Modules
Balancers
Round robin [24]
Encoders
gzip [25]
Handlers
cgi [17]
common [18]
dirlist [19]
fastcgi [20]
file [21]
redir [22]
scgi [23]
Loggers [16]
combined [16.1]
ncsa [16.2]
w3c [16.3]
Validators [7]
htdigest [7.2]
htpasswd [7.1]
ldap [7.1]
mysql [7.3]
pam [7.4]
plain [7.5]

Internal conf format [15]

Other resources:
manpages
Community

Development info <7>
API introduction
Examples

taher at unixwars.com
http://unixwars.com
[Re]: Feedback: Improving the quality of Cherokee's documentation [ In reply to ]
On 31 Jul 2008, at 18:57, Taher Shihadeh wrote:

> * <8> Table with equivalent functionality (and hopefully a full
> setup example)
> to that of specific mod_* Apache modules.

I don't think this is really interesting. Besides the support of the
Apache de-facto standards we have nothing to do with it.

Actually, many of the module types won't even have a match on the
others architecture. In fact, what would we do? Would we compare a
bunch of pseudo-XML text with a screencasts? It would not be fair!

--
Greetings, alo.
http://www.alobbs.com/