Mailing List Archive

Issue 1298 in cherokee: Gateway Timeout after changing system time in FCGI
Owner: ----

New issue 1298 by alexande...@dezem.de: Gateway Timeout after changing
system time in FCGI
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1298

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. run FCGI (PHP) which changes the date into the future for more than
gateway timeout seconds
2.
3.

I expect to see the output of the FCGI. Instead, I get a "504 Gateway
Timeout" error.

I am using an old version of cherokee, but according to the source of
1.2.101, the same problem persists.

The connection handler iterates over all open connections and uses
cherokee_bogonow_now in thread.c::process_polling_connections().
cherokee_bogonow_now contains the current system time so changing the
system time inside an FCGI screws it all up.

Instead of using the system time which can be changed by the (super) user,
another monotonically increasing value should be used instead, for example
the system uptime via "man 2 sysinfo" or "man 2 times". Maybe it is enough
to change this for the timeout detection in order to make time-changing RPC
calls possible without an "504 Gateway Error".

Re: Issue 1298 in cherokee: Gateway Timeout after changing system time in FCGI [ In reply to ]
Updates:
Owner: alobbs

Comment #1 on issue 1298 by alobbs: Gateway Timeout after changing system
time in FCGI
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1298

This is a (really) corner case in which I don't think we should put any
effort. If we had to support this extremely unusual scenarios, the core of
the server would simply be unmaintainable.