Mailing List Archive

Issue 1225 in cherokee: 503 bad gateway - Ubuntu 11.04 on Linode VPS
Owner: ----

New issue 1225 by nilsen.s...@gmail.com: 503 bad gateway - Ubuntu 11.04 on
Linode VPS
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1225

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Install Cherokee from Launchpad (1.2.98-1 natty)
2. Install with necessary dependencies
3. Run cherokee-admin -b and get 503

The expected output would be to see the admin interface, and not get a 503
bad gateway instead.

Ubuntu 11.04 fresh install, 2.6.39.1 32-bit core running Cherokee 1.2.98~1
natty from Launchpad.

Well, after I installed the Cherokee from Launchpad and again got the 503
error (I tried this once before and rebuild Linux to do this) I removed the
ppa-link and installed cherokee from the Ubuntu repositories (1.0.8-4) and
everything works. I don't know if this is a problem with the linux image
from Linode or something with the version from Launchpad or something else
completely, but since it's just affecting the one from Launchpad and the
install is clean five minutes ago I don't really know what the issue is.

Re: Issue 1225 in cherokee: 503 bad gateway - Ubuntu 11.04 on Linode VPS [ In reply to ]
Updates:
Owner: lnu...@gmail.com
Cc: gunnarwo...@gmail.com
Labels: Type-Defect Debian

Comment #1 on issue 1225 by alobbs: 503 bad gateway - Ubuntu 11.04 on

Re: Issue 1225 in cherokee: 503 bad gateway - Ubuntu 11.04 on Linode VPS [ In reply to ]
Comment #2 on issue 1225 by lnu...@gmail.com: 503 bad gateway - Ubuntu
11.04 on Linode VPS
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1225

This is my setup on one linode :

Linux kdx 2.6.38.3-linode32 #1 SMP Thu Apr 21 20:08:53 UTC 2011 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux

ii cherokee 1.2.98-1~natty~ppa1 Very
fast, flexible and easy to configure web server
ii cherokee-admin 1.2.98-1~natty~ppa1
Cherokee web server - Administrative plugin
ii libcherokee-base0 1.2.98-1~natty~ppa1
Cherokee web server - Base libraries
ii libcherokee-client0 1.2.98-1~natty~ppa1
Cherokee web server - Client libraries
ii libcherokee-mod-libssl 1.2.98-1~natty~ppa1
Cherokee web server - SSL crypto functions plugin
ii libcherokee-mod-rrd 1.2.98-1~natty~ppa1
Cherokee web server - RRDtool based information collector
ii libcherokee-server0 1.2.98-1~natty~ppa1
Cherokee web server - Server libraries

All is working fine
tested cherokee-admin -b and is working.

Can you please test with a new cherokee.conf file to see if there's a bug
with the cherokee.conf update

saludos

Re: Issue 1225 in cherokee: 503 bad gateway - Ubuntu 11.04 on Linode VPS [ In reply to ]
Comment #3 on issue 1225 by nilsen.s...@gmail.com: 503 bad gateway - Ubuntu
11.04 on Linode VPS
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1225

Okay, so I installed all the libraries that you mention and downloaded the
cherokee.conf.sample.pre from the Subversion trunk and retried. Same error,
503 bad gateway. And I went back, purged the cherokee from Launchpad and
reinstalled from the Ubuntu repositories, and from there it works (1.0.8).

I do notice that you are using 2.6.38.3 while I'm using 2.6.39.1, could
that have anything to do with it? Also, what distribution are you using?

Re: Issue 1225 in cherokee: 503 bad gateway - Ubuntu 11.04 on Linode VPS [ In reply to ]
Comment #4 on issue 1225 by lnu...@gmail.com: 503 bad gateway - Ubuntu
11.04 on Linode VPS
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1225

Rebooted to the newest kernel

Linux kdx 2.6.39.1-linode34 #1 SMP Tue Jun 21 10:29:24 EDT 2011 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux

All working fine here this is working with ubuntu natty and all updates
applied

Re: Issue 1225 in cherokee: 503 bad gateway - Ubuntu 11.04 on Linode VPS [ In reply to ]
Comment #5 on issue 1225 by nilsen.s...@gmail.com: 503 bad gateway - Ubuntu
11.04 on Linode VPS
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1225

Dang it, this is really weird. I purged the cherokee from the repositories
and rebuilt from source and still a 503 bad gateway when I'm trying to
access the admin interface. Everything else works just fine. Okay, so the
process I did in the beginning is to update my hostname, update my
/etc/hosts file to the corresponding hostname and domain names, update
timezone, install updates, add launchpad ppa and install cherokee and it
doesn't work.

I'll try to install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and see if that works, and if it does
I have no idea what is wrong.

Re: Issue 1225 in cherokee: 503 bad gateway - Ubuntu 11.04 on Linode VPS [ In reply to ]
Comment #6 on issue 1225 by nilsen.s...@gmail.com: 503 bad gateway - Ubuntu
11.04 on Linode VPS
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1225

I just installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and wouldn’t you know, now Cherokee
works. This is just weird.

Re: Issue 1225 in cherokee: 503 bad gateway - Ubuntu 11.04 on Linode VPS [ In reply to ]
Comment #7 on issue 1225 by psaod8fz...@gmail.com: 503 bad gateway - Ubuntu
11.04 on Linode VPS
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=1225

old versions.
works for me with current versions of ubuntu and cherokee from github.