Mailing List Archive

Issue 739 in cherokee: Error in cherokee-admin wrong information when started
Owner: ----

New issue 739 by binb...@b2host.de: Error in cherokee-admin wrong
information when started
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=739

At Web Interface URL it says localhost
and below it says ALL:9090
Though ALL is normally written as 0.0.0.0

root@s06-he-de /opt/www/cherokee_0.99.42/sbin # ./cherokee-admin -b

Login:
User: admin
One-time Password: Ro0gKl1HvCNomAWE

Web Interface:

Cherokee Web Server 0.99.42 (Feb 12 2010): Listening on port ALL:9090, TLS
disabled, IPv6 disabled, using epoll, 4096 fds system limit, max. 2041
connections, caching I/O, single thread

Re: Issue 739 in cherokee: Error in cherokee-admin wrong information when started [ In reply to ]
Comment #1 on issue 739 by psaod8fz...@gmail.com: Error in cherokee-admin
wrong information when started
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=739

IP address "0.0.0.0" usually stands for the default gateway. But I agree,
it should not be "ANY". The correct symbol for any interface is the
asterisk: "*:9090".

Re: Issue 739 in cherokee: Error in cherokee-admin wrong information when started [ In reply to ]
Comment #2 on issue 739 by psaod8fz...@gmail.com: Error in cherokee-admin
wrong information when started
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=739

IP address "0.0.0.0" usually stands for the default gateway. But I agree,
it should not be "ALL". The correct symbol for any interface is the
asterisk: "*:9090".

Re: Issue 739 in cherokee: Error in cherokee-admin wrong information when started [ In reply to ]
Updates:
Labels: Type-Defect OpSys-All Priority-Low Component-Logic Usability

Comment #3 on issue 739 by ste...@konink.de: Error in cherokee-admin wrong
information when started
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=739

No, the problem is that:
https://github.com/cherokee/webserver/blob/master/cherokee/main_admin.c#L176

Is not doing what it should do. If -b is specified the bind will be on
0.0.0.0, but bind_to is actually never set. This result in the comparison
to fail, and default to localhost.

Try it yourself with: ./cherokee-admin -b0.0.0.0 vs ./cherokee-admin -b

Re: Issue 739 in cherokee: Error in cherokee-admin wrong information when started [ In reply to ]
Updates:

Comment #4 on issue 739 by ste...@konink.de: Error in cherokee-admin wrong
information when started
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=739

I have been reading through some code on this and started to ask myself. Is
it really wrong what is written there? Ideally what should show up is
showing all the addresses the bind was done to. Yeah, that verbose. But I
guess nowhere in Cherokee is a function that allows such expansion in C.

Although the user explicitly asked for -b (bind to any interface) writing
down *:9090 will not make it better because you can't browse to
http://*:9090/ that will just fail, so I am reluctant to change the
default "localhost" in this case to 0.0.0.0 or to ALL because that will
break the clickability in the terminal (and yes, it breaks as well with
0.0.0.0, I understand this.)

If someone could convince me that we do have a convenience function in
Cherokee that is able to list all interfaces across different platforms we
might list all the URL, for now I am hitting a won't fix.

Re: Issue 739 in cherokee: Error in cherokee-admin wrong information when started [ In reply to ]
Comment #5 on issue 739 by psaod8fz...@gmail.com: Error in cherokee-admin
wrong information when started
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=739

After reading through this again, I better understood his request. I also
checked how Debian is displaying a Service that binds to all Interfaces.

About "Cherokee Web Server 0.99.42 (Feb 12 2010): Listening on port
ALL:9090 […]":
I still think in the description should be written "*", or
numeric "0.0.0.0", instead of "ALL". That's the way Debian and Windows
handle it. (see "netstat -a" and "netstat -an") That's a minor cosmetic
procedure.

About:
"""
Web Interface:
"""
I am emotionless about the web Interface address. It does not need to be
changed, because if you manually bind cherokee-admin to all Interfaces, by
providing "-b", you know how to access the web Interface. A list with all
IP-addresses would not be wrong, but maybe just more console output than
necessary. Also, as Stefan said: It might just create more problems across
different operating systems, if you print all Interfaces to the console.