Mailing List Archive

Issue 684 in cherokee: FFMpeg / Streaming features in Cherokee - problems in Ubuntu 9.xx
Owner: ----

New issue 684 by plundis@areaindex.com: FFMpeg / Streaming features in
Cherokee - problems in Ubuntu 9.xx
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=684

Read the docs for streaming audio/video in Cherokee and watched the
screencast about this. Seemed very simple. It however, does not work this
easy in Ubuntu and Debian based OS'es.

For Debian / Ubuntu based installs we need to make sure folks have FFMpeg
installed, functional and detected at install time by Cherokee.

Debian / Ubuntu does not have ffmpeg-dev package available (Thanks to
Stefan for pointing out this package) that is required for the streaming
functionality in Cherokee. Parts of this package are in other packages, but
unsure of what is needed and what packages might work if any to install.

Solution so far is to reinstall FFMpeg from source following the
instructions here:
(be sure to copy the complete line at each step as the commands trail far
off to the right)

After doing such and starting the Unix installation steps for Cherokee you
should find that after the initial step:
./configure --localstatedir=/var \
--prefix=/usr \
--sysconfdir=/etc \
--with-wwwroot=/var/www

-In the output: FFMpeg Yes

Great FFMpeg is there and Cherokee can find it. Continue with you source
install for Cherokee. Hopefully all compiles fine.

Following these steps we have one totally new Cherokee installation that
completed without error and one existing installation that failed to
compile during the Cherokee make step.

The failed compile is running Ubuntu 9.10 x64:
mv -f ".libs/libplugin_streaming.expT" ".libs/libplugin_streaming.exp"
echo "{ global:" > .libs/libplugin_streaming.ver
cat .libs/libplugin_streaming.exp | sed -e "s/\(.*\)/\1;/" >>
.libs/libplugin_streaming.ver
echo "local: *; };" >> .libs/libplugin_streaming.ver
gcc -std=gnu99 -shared .libs/libplugin_streaming_la-handler_streaming.o
-lavformat -lavcodec -lavutil -lm -lcrypto -ldl -Wl,-soname
-Wl,libplugin_streaming.so -Wl,-version-script
-Wl,.libs/libplugin_streaming.ver -o .libs/libplugin_streaming.so
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libavformat.a(allformats.o): relocation
R_X86_64_32 against `aac_demuxer' can not be used when making a shared
object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/local/lib/libavformat.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [libplugin_streaming.la] Error 1

I will test this on a duplicate machine (same hardware and OS) to see if
machine / install specific or if the error is 64-bit issue.

Neither of our installations have yet to tested to see if the actual
streaming functionality works in Cherokee at this point. Time for bed.
Will test the streaming tomorrow.

Feel free to submit comments if you are on Debian based OS and have
streaming working in another way.

Re: Issue 684 in cherokee: FFMpeg / Streaming features in Cherokee - problems in Ubuntu 9.xx [ In reply to ]
Comment #1 on issue 684 by plundis@areaindex.com: FFMpeg / Streaming
features in Cherokee - problems in Ubuntu 9.xx
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=684

Failed compile error is indeed x64 specific.

I need to look into solution/workaround for this error.

Re: Issue 684 in cherokee: FFMpeg / Streaming features in Cherokee - problems in Ubuntu 9.xx [ In reply to ]
Comment #2 on issue 684 by lnunez: FFMpeg / Streaming features in Cherokee
- problems in Ubuntu 9.xx
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=684

Ubuntu karmic (9.10) , Jaunty (9.04) and Debian Unstable treaming sworks
fine.
The problem is with older Ubuntu Versions and Debian Versions.

This is for the ffmpeg version as you appointed.

Check this thread:
http://lists.octality.com/pipermail/cherokee-dev/2009-March/002144.html

Saludos

Re: Issue 684 in cherokee: FFMpeg / Streaming features in Cherokee - problems in Ubuntu 9.xx [ In reply to ]
Comment #3 on issue 684 by pubcrawler.com: FFMpeg / Streaming features in
Cherokee - problems in Ubuntu 9.xx
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=684

Streaming does NOT work under Ubuntu 9.xx x64... These machines we run
have been
upgraded via system updates from 7.xx Ubuntu.

I've confirmed the earlier posted steps above on such OS and platform and
cannot get
streaming under such to work.

Can anyone confirm working streaming out of the box Ubuntu 9.xx x64?

Anyone care to look at our installation and determine where the problem is?

Re: Issue 684 in cherokee: FFMpeg / Streaming features in Cherokee - problems in Ubuntu 9.xx [ In reply to ]
Comment #4 on issue 684 by pubcrawler.com: FFMpeg / Streaming features in
Cherokee - problems in Ubuntu 9.xx
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=684

Just wanted to note that it's FFMPEG that is the issue - not Cherokee.

Cherokee does not detect the needed FFMpeg with the ffmpeg package
installed. Only
way I've seen to get Cherokee to see such under Ubuntu 9.xx x64 is to do
the source
compile of FFMpeg, however the make step in Cherokee fails as noted above.

Re: Issue 684 in cherokee: FFMpeg / Streaming features in Cherokee - problems in Ubuntu 9.xx [ In reply to ]
Comment #5 on issue 684 by honkyton...@gmail.com: FFMpeg / Streaming
features in Cherokee - problems in Ubuntu 9.xx
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=684

I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 and ffmpeg-dev is not available in the
repositories. Instead of compiling ffmpeg from source, I added
libavformat-dev and libavcodec-dev packages with Synaptic.

Output from ./configure was FFMpeg Yes.

After make, make install, Cherokee starts up fine, but the Streaming Wizard
is gone when I try to add a virtual server.

Re: Issue 684 in cherokee: FFMpeg / Streaming features in Cherokee - problems in Ubuntu 9.xx [ In reply to ]
Comment #6 on issue 684 by alobbs: FFMpeg / Streaming features in Cherokee
- problems in Ubuntu 9.xx
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=684

@honkytonkwillie: Did you "make install" it?

Re: Issue 684 in cherokee: FFMpeg / Streaming features in Cherokee - problems in Ubuntu 9.xx [ In reply to ]
Comment #7 on issue 684 by honkyton...@gmail.com: FFMpeg / Streaming

@alobbs: Yes. ./configure [with options], make, and then make install.

Re: Issue 684 in cherokee: FFMpeg / Streaming features in Cherokee - problems in Ubuntu 9.xx [ In reply to ]
Comment #8 on issue 684 by atas...@gmail.com: FFMpeg / Streaming features
in Cherokee - problems in Ubuntu 9.xx
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=684

I had the same issue as honkyton.
Eventho libstreaming.so is indeed in the plugin directory admin does not
display it.

Re: Issue 684 in cherokee: FFMpeg / Streaming features in Cherokee - problems in Ubuntu 9.xx [ In reply to ]
Comment #9 on issue 684 by atas...@gmail.com: FFMpeg / Streaming features
in Cherokee - problems in Ubuntu 9.xx
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=684

@Honkyton
I was also getting confused thinking it was a add a virtual server entry.
But in fact "Media File Streaming" shows under adding a new "Rule
Management" NOT adding a new "Virtual Server"

So:
- Select the virtual server
- Select the "Behavior" Tab
- Click "Rule Management" button in the "Behavior" tab pane.
- Click "+" button that is part of the "Behavior" left pane.
- Select "Tasks" in the popup.
- "Media File Streaming" should now appear on the right hand side of the
popup

Hope that helps.

Re: Issue 684 in cherokee: FFMpeg / Streaming features in Cherokee - problems in Ubuntu 9.xx [ In reply to ]
Updates:

Comment #10 on issue 684 by ste...@konink.de: FFMpeg / Streaming features
in Cherokee - problems in Ubuntu 9.xx
http://code.google.com/p/cherokee/issues/detail?id=684

Going to close this ticket, because it works with later LTS.